: Heater core leak and Bar's

Rob Benham
11-27-08, 01:57 PM
I posted for help a while back under Water Leak. I've put this under a new title so that it's more specific, and with a more descriptive title. Hope it helps.

Following the help I received, I took the trim out and looked at the plastic box. Not too hard, but I'm in Texas and only use the heater 3 days a year.:bigroll:

I got myself a bottle of Bar's Liquid Aluminum and set about getting it focused on the right point. The label was very specific. Aluminum stuff for all types of material. I gather the core has a lot of aluminum in it so I felt the product was more appropriate than the old brown tablets- though I'd had good results with those on a N* SLS

I gently blew the water out of the core then attached a short length of garden hose with a funnel and I was able to pour the stuff directly into the top bulkhead pipe to the core. I put a third of a bottle in and then blew again with lung power this time. I got the air going round. Put a little more in, then puffed again. This time I could hardly get any air to go through! I thought I'd wrecked it.

Anyway, I quickly put the rest into the top hose and started the engine. In a while, the water to the heater got warm. Then hot. Phew!

That was a week ago and so far it's been fine. Fingers crossed.

pompste
11-29-08, 08:40 PM
I posted for help a while back under Water Leak. I've put this under a new title so that it's more specific, and with a more descriptive title. Hope it helps.

Following the help I received, I took the trim out and looked at the plastic box. Not too hard, but I'm in Texas and only use the heater 3 days a year.:bigroll:

I got myself a bottle of Bar's Liquid Aluminum and set about getting it focused on the right point. The label was very specific. Aluminum stuff for all types of material. I gather the core has a lot of aluminum in it so I felt the product was more appropriate than the old brown tablets- though I'd had good results with those on a N* SLS

I gently blew the water out of the core then attached a short length of garden hose with a funnel and I was able to pour the stuff directly into the top bulkhead pipe to the core. I put a third of a bottle in and then blew again with lung power this time. I got the air going round. Put a little more in, then puffed again. This time I could hardly get any air to go through! I thought I'd wrecked it.

Anyway, I quickly put the rest into the top hose and started the engine. In a while, the water to the heater got warm. Then hot. Phew!

That was a week ago and so far it's been fine. Fingers crossed.

Glad to see you had good luck with the "liquid aluminum" version of Bars Leaks.
I used the same stuff on my old 1984 Camaro---had a heater core leak and it really fixed the leak---and it held for the next 7 years when i donated it to a charity.
I use Bars Leaks in powder form on my 1995 Sedan Deville.It had a minor water pump leak 2 years ago----i added 2 tubes of the powder to my radiator and it has NOT leaked a drop since.
Some here will tell you the Bars Leaks powder is the best and i tend to believe it as well----but the liquid aliminum has it`s place also.They would`nt continue to produce it if it did`nt work!

Gorbo1985
12-10-08, 01:55 AM
It may not last. I was in CO from CA Fall 2006 (8000 mile road trip around the western US 11 states) when the core sprang a leak. it was small but got bigger. I was 150 miles from a town with parts. Did the stop leak stuff. The in and out hoses into the heater box were 5/8 and 3/4 diameter. Went to NAPA and got an adapter $4.00 so I could pull the hoses if needed and bypass the core. Use existing Hose clamps. Well I made it back to CA and a week later the core temp repair finally blew. A mechainic told me 21 years was pretty good. Apparently electroylsis eats these up after many years. AC delco parts store had the core, a NOS and a newer one. Went with the NOS. There are 17 screws holding the box lid on. several are buried in epxoy/sealant. Using All data DIY website I was able to pinpoint the locations. Just be sure to seal up the lid later. I did not and first rain was inside passenger front. However, one issue with these alum blocks is I hear they can easily warp.if overheated.Supposedly the water gets in around the intake manifold. seeps into oil jacket here and evetually the engine gets a death knock. I'm looking for more info as once the warn light comes on, I understand it is too late. So before 2006 I had the system flushed. And probably should do it soon to get the old coolant out. Delco makes these brown tablets they recommend adding after refill. Made from walnut shells ? and they seal small leaks . My final question is if anyone knows the maximum miles these engines can go ? I've read and heard most fail before 150,000. I have 134,000 and hope to drive this car forever. Last of the big Fin RWD Bro's. Any advice or suggestions ?