: Loud furnace!! Serenity please

creeker
11-26-08, 10:27 PM
We have a forced air natural gas wall furnace in our house (1700 sq.ft.)
the problem is it's very loud,anyone know of a brand name and model of a quiet one?.

dkozloski
11-26-08, 10:30 PM
Changing pulley sizes to slow down the blower fan sometimes help.

creeker
11-26-08, 10:38 PM
Changing pulley sizes to slow down the blowewr fan sometimes help.

Thanks,I'll give that some thought,would it cut down on the c.f.m. output by much.

dkozloski
11-26-08, 10:47 PM
Thanks,I'll give that some thought,would it cut down on the c.f.m. output by much.
Probably, but it's a tradeoff. If the ductwork rumbles the furnace is probably oversized anyhow.

creeker
11-26-08, 11:44 PM
Probably, but it's a tradeoff. If the ductwork rumbles the furnace is probably oversized anyhow.

No it is working correctly,there isn't anything that rattles or bangs,it's quite secure that way,it's just the overall noise,it sounds like a jet engine,
but on a smaller scale, it works very well,just noisy.

c5 rv
11-26-08, 11:58 PM
Start by opening the vents in all the rooms and the dampers in all the ducts leading off the furnace. Some folks cut off air going to large parts of the house which can make the furnace louder in the rest of the house.

If you need to replace your forced air furnace, look into setting up logical heating zones and a furance that has a variable speed blower.

(Just noticed that you said it was a wall furnace. I assume that's the kind where the furnace is mounted in the room. I don't think those are ever very quiet. A central furnace setup with ductwork should be quieter.)

Boombotz
11-26-08, 11:58 PM
It shouldn't should like that at all. The air intake or gas pressure could be off causing the burners not to burn properly.
How old?
When was it last serviced?

creeker
11-27-08, 12:32 AM
I shouldn't have used the term,wall furnace,it's an ordinary forced air gas
furnace with duct work. It could be freestanding,but it is built in,It's 14 years old,it was serviced 3 years ago,it's just plain noisy,it's the nature of the beast.There is nothing that's falling apart or neglected,it's in good shape.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-27-08, 09:01 AM
candle+breath= home made furnace

dkozloski
11-27-08, 12:38 PM
Quiet heat=hydronic heat.

creeker
11-27-08, 12:49 PM
Quiet heat=hydronic heat.

Quiet heat= happy wife.