: I've been Severely Abused.

dkozloski
11-26-08, 08:58 PM
I was forced to rent and drive a Chevy Cobalt and the damn thing drives like both front tires are flat. Are they all like that?

ryannel2003
11-26-08, 09:06 PM
Going from a STS to a Cobalt :eek:

But from my experience, yeah they aren't great driving cars. I drove a base model a few months back and was shocked the car was so bad.

dkozloski
11-26-08, 09:26 PM
I did get 33mpg but what a price to pay in drivability for milage.

Night Wolf
11-26-08, 09:34 PM
I did get 33mpg but what a price to pay in drivability for milage.

A M42 powered E30 will get better gas mileage then that and actually be total fun to drive.... 2-door, 4-door or even convertible.

Back when gas was $4.50/gallon I actually thought about getting a 4-door as a daily driver (I know not all that cost effective for that reason.... more or less an excuse for another E30) but now that gas is $1.70/gallon I don't mind feeding the 6... not that is is bad on gas either at 20/28

I never drove, or rode in a Cobalt, but I keep hearing that they are a good car, atleast the SS... but maybe not?

Jesda
11-26-08, 09:48 PM
I thought the Cobalt was just okay, but a long way from "bad"

dkozloski
11-26-08, 10:07 PM
It's designed to be driven by apes. If the seat is far enough to the rear that I don't get leg cramps, the steering wheel is a long reach away. Maybe it's designed for people with a huge pot belly that need clearance.

jey
11-26-08, 11:09 PM
I rented a G5 last month, which is the same thing as a Cobalt coupe. It came with 16" wheels so the handling was actually pretty good. Other than the awful slushbox I found it to be rather good mechanically. The height-adjustable seats saved it from being an ergonomic disaster, because yes, for me, at anything under the highest setting the steering wheel was either too far away or my legs were banging up against the dashboard.

Lord Cadillac
11-26-08, 11:20 PM
I was forced to rent and drive a Chevy Cobalt and the damn thing drives like both front tires are flat. Are they all like that?
Have you driven a new Honda Civic? I'm really curious to know your opinion on a comparison.

LS1Mike
11-26-08, 11:23 PM
The base model is just what it is "base" sent out for a rental and like Jesda says Just OK basic transportation.

Have any of you driven or read about the SS? Second fastest FWD car around the ring at 8.22 (quicker than the STI, EVO and Mini) and 14.00 1/4 shots stock.
Don't ever base anything off a Rental or I would be telling you an Accord sucks and we all know they don't. You should have driven the 4CYL Accord I had on my last trip, wander all over and when the AC was on at idle, holy cow, I thought it might explode.

ryannel2003
11-26-08, 11:28 PM
I drove an '03 Accord LX and it was a very nice car. Can't say anything about the new car, but I sat inside one and actually liked the dash. I have driven an '07 Toyota Camry and despised it. My 2000 Camry was a much nicer car than the '02-'06 and '07-current.

Just got my new Car and Driver. Cobalt SS got 3rd out of 7th place. Only downfalls were boring exterior and cheap interior.

Jesda
11-27-08, 12:39 AM
I also hate the new Camry, especially the ridiculous teal blue center console. It looks like a cheap Sharper Image desktop jukebox. 97-00 seemed to be the best years for the Camry. Unfortunately, my dad's 99 Camry had a transmission go out at less than 100k.

ryannel2003
11-27-08, 12:54 AM
Yeah my Camry was actually really nice. My grandmother ordered it new in 2000, and when she passed away was purchased as my first car. Two tone paint, leather seats, moonroof, alloy wheels:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/Camry/IMG_3499.jpg

Great car; excellent gas mileage, a pretty decent stereo, and looked good. But slow, boring, and had the most uncomfortable seats of any vehicle. Ever. Only problem was a broken sunroof (that didn't leak a drop) and the most annoying rattle in the dash. We still have it; drove it tonight and still love it.

MauiV
11-27-08, 01:31 AM
When my transmission was being replaced I had a base Cobalt (they were out of Cadis because the Ryder Cup was going on) that was the worst car I have driven since my buddies Ford Maverick in HS. On top of that it was FILTHY on the inside and smelled of cigarettes. I looked at a SS on a local lot. It had the same ghetto ass crap-plastastic interior. 1 out of 5 on the Jesda scale.

On a recent trip to Jax I had an Accord, which was useable but not what I would spend money on. Power was lacking. interior was mediocre. Exterior design was average at best and the hubcaps were uglier than even the base model CTS wheels. Generic goods in a brown paper bag. 3 of 5 on the Jesda scale. I would have rather had the Mazda 6 they upgraded me out of.

I was able to get rid of the Cobalt after a couple days and sported a Saturn Aura for a couple weeks. That is a car I could own. 4 out of 5 on the Jesda scale.

Red_October_7000
11-27-08, 02:24 AM
I've driven an SS and a Chevy HHR, which is based on the same car. The HHR is competent, handles well, etc. Only held back by awful automatic gearbox. The SS did have a feeling of both front tires being flat... very hard, like you were pushing the front of the car around yourself. It also had an attrocious clutch.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-28-08, 09:43 AM
Well...they're a lot better than a Cavalier....I'll give them that. Comparable to my friend's sister's '06 Civic EX Coupe? Nope...

hyperboimmv
12-08-08, 05:57 PM
I traded an 05 Cobalt LS coupe for my 98 SLS. I liked my Cobalt, but it was a small car. It wasn't exactly fast, but I could go fast in it. The thing I hated the most about that car was the trunk. It had a good sized trunk, but the opening sucked, and you couldn't really put big items in.

When I got my cobalt, a friend got a Cobalt SS that year. I liked the SS, but hated the seats... I love my SLS, and it will probably only be replaced with an STS.