: Alternator Bearing Replacement?

RickyHenry
11-26-08, 03:27 PM
hey all;

When I start my car and it's cold, I'm getting a very LOUD squeaking noise coming from the alternator/generator. I narrowed it down with stethoscope. When the car warms up, so does the alternator and the noise goes away or decreases in loudness. Sometimes, I'll start the car and the noise isn't there at all. If I spray down the alternator with enough heavy wd-40, it will go away for a short few days, then return. This sound is really really really loud when it first starts up. If I increase the RPM even to 1500 or more, then the sound is completely gone.

My quiestion is, could I just replace the bearing on the alternator? I went shopping for a new alternator and came across this listing at the local AutoZone:
http://www.autozone.com/R,556559/vehicleId,2525501/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,5622/partType,00257/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

An alternator bearing might just solve the issue, but of coarse there is nothing in the FSM to state how to replace the bearing. I'm sure if I get the alternator out, I can figure out how to replace it.

Also, the FSM says to remove the A/C Condenser to remove the alternator... is this REALLY necessary?

RickyHenry
11-26-08, 03:28 PM
also, there is no power problems with the car whatsoever, never experienced any issues with alternator other than this loud annoying noise at idle speed.

Submariner409
11-26-08, 04:39 PM
Not sure about the alternator removal, BUT spraying WD-40 in an alternator is a questionable procedure. Take it off !!! and get to a local automotive electric shop and have it rebuilt: they'll do new bearings, a brush assembly, polish the slip rings, and probably a diode pack for the regulator.

When you take it in for rebuild, ask them to show you why spraying stuff in there is bad, particularly at the slip ring end.

RickyHenry
11-26-08, 07:40 PM
Not sure about the alternator removal, BUT spraying WD-40 in an alternator is a questionable procedure. Take it off !!! and get to a local automotive electric shop and have it rebuilt: they'll do new bearings, a brush assembly, polish the slip rings, and probably a diode pack for the regulator.

When you take it in for rebuild, ask them to show you why spraying stuff in there is bad, particularly at the slip ring end.

heh :tisk:

i sprayed around the belt mainly, not "inside" the gen. I'm taking the gen out now, have car propped up and I went ahead and purchased the bearings from auto zone, they were only $5 and it appears they are in stock at the 7 autozones close to me. Makes me think other people have to replace them often since that was the case.

The car is exhibiting absolutely no other symptoms of a bad gen, just that noise which is unbearable at times. I'll see what I can do to replace the bearings first, if I can. I don't know of electrical shops around here and I'm sure if i did, doubt they will be open now considering it's thanksgiving time, but I'll give it a shot by calling around anyhow s.

Ranger
11-26-08, 09:29 PM
I would not use AZ alternators or bearings. They're cheap for a reason. Put a quality bearing in it if you're gonna go through all that work.

RickyHenry
11-27-08, 01:57 PM
I would not use AZ alternators or bearings. They're cheap for a reason. Put a quality bearing in it if you're gonna go through all that work.

well, turns out the alternator that was in there was after market, someone replaced it before I had the car. So the new bearing wouldn't even fit, and the old one wouldn't come out properly without cracking the alternator cover =-D (which I did). Lucky for me, AZ still took it as a core because they didn't inspect it when I returned it. I swear, I mangled the F out of that alternator getting it apart. It was old and worn in side, rebuilding probably wasn't the best option for that thing. Also, I think it was covered with WD40 all along the coil and other random places (still trying to find out who sprayed that wd40 down there, it wasn't me!) :thepan:

suffice it to say, AZ was open last night til 11, i went and picked up a new one, not a refurb for about $300. Installed and it's ready to go. Haven't turned car on yet though, because I actually started this whole job to repair a separate issue, just got sidetracked on this alternator whine.

ewill3rd
11-28-08, 07:21 AM
I'd replace the belt too. The WD-40 will have contaminated the belt surface and even if the bearing doesn't make noise, the belt will.
There is a reason we don't rebuild alternators anymore, it isn't cost effective.
By the time you wrap your labor and the parts you need up in it and then compare it to the reliability of a half repaired unit you just wasted your time and money.

tradeeagle
03-15-09, 10:52 PM
I have this exact problem with 96 eldo does anyone have an idea or guess as to what the repair job will cost? Is it best to go for new alternator + installation about How much for the parts and job ? Thanks a lot-PJM

Submariner409
03-16-09, 09:57 AM
If you take the car to your local automotive electric shop, maybe $175 - $250 to R,R, & R the alternator (Remove, Rebuild, & Replace).

Your local Cadillac dealer....$450 - $600, but a new ACDelco unit.