: Refurbing a 500

75sled
11-26-08, 12:16 PM
If you guys had to refurbish or completely rebuild your engine and you had a stock 500 in a 75 coupe, what are some of the things that you would ABSOLUTELY do?

I have this very car and the engine isn't gone or anything, but I know it isn't what it once was. But I don't know what to do with it. I am somewhat leary of taking it somewhere to be rebuilt not really knowing what I want or need.

I would like a little more power but i still want that quiet, smooth, sneak up on ya feel of a Cadillac.

jayoldschool
11-26-08, 07:12 PM
If it isn't leaking or smoking or knocking, then all you should do is a full tuneup. Cap, rotor, coil, wires, plugs, adjust timing, rebuild carb (if needed).

11-26-08, 10:05 PM
If it isn't leaking or smoking or knocking, then all you should do is a full tuneup. Cap, rotor, coil, wires, plugs, adjust timing, rebuild carb (if needed).

Well put; if it passes a compression check a full tune up ought to satisfy. Otherwise for rebuilding I'd recommend a deburred iron Melling oil pump, adding an oil return hole at the rear of the intake valley, and smoothing the oil return holes in the center and front of the intake valley. Also, a rocker system upgrade is something to consider if you anticipate using the engine for anything other than "stock use". The list could go on but it depends on anticipated use and budget, but those are some important starters :)

Aron9000
11-29-08, 10:12 PM
If you are doing a rebuild, build it up to the specs in a 1970 Eldorado. That was before they started cutting the compression(and horsepower) to meet emissions. You can make some pretty nice(400hp+) with these motors and still keep them nice and streetable.

lochenjons
12-01-08, 03:59 AM
not really a rebuild, but do what i did on my 500. take off the AC pump and the smog pump... very noticable power increase. you might have to mess with the pulleys like i did, but it's definately worth it.

jayoldschool
12-01-08, 10:06 AM
A Cadillac without AC is just a car:D

Seriously, the AC only takes power when it is on. It uses no power when off. You want more power? Just be warm for a bit. When you get up to speed, turn your AC back on...
:cloud9:

lochenjons
12-01-08, 02:25 PM
true true... but the smog pump on the other hand did pull some weight.

and besides, i live about 100 miles south of san francisco and we see probably a handful of seriously hot days.

...but just think of the gas mileage i'm saving bytaking that 20 lb compressor off! :histeric::histeric: jk, i just didnt need it so i ditched thedamn thing

75sled
12-02-08, 09:46 AM
A Cadillac without AC is just a car:D

Seriously, the AC only takes power when it is on. It uses no power when off. You want more power? Just be warm for a bit. When you get up to speed, turn your AC back on...
:cloud9:

AMEN TO THAT! Matter of fact I just bought a new compressor.

Anyway, It does leak pretty badly, and I have done a complete tune. I did check the timing with a light but the mark is way off, and when you try to get it close it just kills it. So i put it back where it was. Not sure if someone tampered with it and didn't put it back together right or what.

I just wanted to make sure I get a decent rebuild and don't have to go back into it for another 100k miles or more.

I like the idea of building it to the 70 Eldorado specs.

Thanks for all the input.