: 01 STS Cracked Block Rebuilt Engine Recomendations

RW2001STS
11-26-08, 08:30 AM
Hi

Have a 2001 STS 109,000 miles. Started having a coolant leak. Took it to dealer who said the block has a crack in the side toward firewall, car will need a new engine (no explanation on the crack, I live in California so it is not a freezing problem).

Have seen various companies offering rebuilt engines on ebay. Does anyone have a recommendation (or a warning to stay away from) a company to get a rebuilt engine from. Good experience or bad experience.

Car is otherwise in great shape, in fact it still runs well. Had head gaskets redone last January on GM Extended warrenty (which ran out last February, bummer).

I would need to have the engine installed (no room or time to do it). So cost of engine plus the install probably is close to or more than the car is worth.

Any recommendations on purchasing a rebuilt N* engine?

Thanks for your help

Richard

BIG ERN
11-26-08, 08:57 AM
get a second opinion before you do anything, I myself would want to see the "crack" before i did anything.

Ranger
11-26-08, 11:10 AM
I agree. Cracked blocks are VERY rare.

RW2001STS
11-26-08, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have not seen it yet, hoping to get over to the dealer today to see. Dealer that did the HG's (different dealer than where car is now) also says cracks are rare and they have never seen one.

Thanks
R

Renew82
11-26-08, 06:57 PM
I am a rather new owner of a 03 STS but here are my 2 cents. You mentioned that you had the HG repaired. Do you know if the shop added coolant sealer tabs to the Dexcool when the thing was put back together? The N* block is known to be porous due to GM's quality manufacturing processes and without the sealent the blocks could leak coolant. The symptoms can appear very simular to a cracked block.

Ranger
11-26-08, 09:03 PM
GM stopped using the tabs somewhere around '02.

chubbyranger
11-26-08, 09:22 PM
One of my instructors had an Eldo with a cracked block. Turns out somebody had been rock surfing with it before he bought it and managed to crack the block when they bent the cradle. Only one I've ever heard of.

ted tcb
11-26-08, 09:47 PM
I am a rather new owner of a 03 STS but here are my 2 cents. You mentioned that you had the HG repaired. Do you know if the shop added coolant sealer tabs to the Dexcool when the thing was put back together? The N* block is known to be porous due to GM's quality manufacturing processes and without the sealent the blocks could leak coolant. The symptoms can appear very simular to a cracked block.

The GM sealant tabs are basically ginger root and walnut.
They are meant to assist in slowing down miniscule nuisance leaks in gaskets; that's all.
They would not prevent nor cure a porous, leaking block or pulled
head bolts.
Most would agree that the Northstar block and bottom end are bulletproof.
I agree with everyone who has said get a 2nd and 3rd opinion ... I'd have to see the coolant running out of a crack in the block with my own eyes before I'd accept that diagnosis.

97EldoCoupe
11-27-08, 10:41 AM
I've seen 3 cracked cylinders already, one I know for sure happened without any reason what so ever, while it was in a GM service garage having a new SS fuel rail installed as a recall repair. In the summertime! No freezing issues there. The engines were 2 4.0 Aurora motors and 1 '95 4.6 block. All had the same cylinder crack, if I recall correctly. Number 3 cylinder.

I have a block from a 2000 STS, 100,000 miles on the block, original honing marks in good condition(like all N*s). If you need a block to install your pistons/rotating assembly into, let me know. Shipping weight can't be more than 75lbs, but I'll have to check.

Ranger
11-27-08, 11:54 AM
Ted the sealant tabs actually ARE for an occasional porous casting. I think that was the original intent.

dkozloski
11-27-08, 12:31 PM
Ted the sealant tabs actually ARE for an occasional porous casting. I think that was the original intent.
The engineer who was responsibile for designing the Northstar cooling system made exactly the same statement.

Ranger
11-27-08, 02:47 PM
Yup. He is exactly where I got that from.

RW2001STS
11-28-08, 11:43 AM
Hi all

Went and looked at the car on Wednesday. Up on the rack could see a crack running horizontally about 2 inches up from bottom of block. Side facing front through one of the cast tubes (head bolt tube I would assume) running 5 or 6 inches. Not familiar with the block so don't know if it is above or below where the head bolts or studs screw into the block.

Just picked it up from body shop (rearended in July). Drove it 2 days (noticed small leak), sat 2 days then driving day 5 leak became major.

Body damage on rear was minor, mainly replace of bumper. But they did have to pull rear panel where latch is back about 1/2 inch to get rear deck to align. Don't know if they did something that could have started the crack, but I don't see how they could have.

tateos
11-28-08, 12:29 PM
Hi all

Went and looked at the car on Wednesday. Up on the rack could see a crack running horizontally about 2 inches up from bottom of block. Side facing front through one of the cast tubes (head bolt tube I would assume) running 5 or 6 inches. Not familiar with the block so don't know if it is above or below where the head bolts or studs screw into the block.

Just picked it up from body shop (rearended in July). Drove it 2 days (noticed small leak), sat 2 days then driving day 5 leak became major.

Body damage on rear was minor, mainly replace of bumper. But they did have to pull rear panel where latch is back about 1/2 inch to get rear deck to align. Don't know if they did something that could have started the crack, but I don't see how they could have.

I think you are looking at the oil drainback tubes