: Didn't pass emission. Got a high NO. Shouldn't use regular Gas(87)?

11-26-08, 02:18 AM
My car is 98 Deville with 256k miles. Didn't pass the Smog test this afternoon. It seems the NO is too high on 15mph.
I've been using regualr gas for 5 years. Is that the reason? It passed the Smog test 2 years ago though.
Here is the report:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/accent_2008/SNV35282.jpg

ewill3rd
11-26-08, 07:22 AM
If I can read that right, and it is hard to see... but it looks like you did fine for NO, you failed on HC.
That means unburned fuel, check the fuel pressure regulator to see if it is leaking. Pull the vacuum hose off the FPR with the engine running and see if any gas comes out.
Anything else you'd probably notice and since HC is okay at 25 mph it makes sense that the engine is just not using the extra gas from a leaking FPR at the lower speed.
You failed on the first line, not the last reading on that line. If you read the limits and the measured numbers you'll see where you failed for HC.

ewill3rd
11-26-08, 07:25 AM
Maybe I don't remember CA emission laws, I left 4 years ago, but it seems odd that they would do an ASM test on an OBD-II car.
It should get a gas cap test and an OBD test.
Our program doesn't require an ASM test unless you blew past a remote sensing station with high emissions or some other special things after the '96 model year.

Submariner409
11-26-08, 09:05 AM
.............and regular gas has nothing to do with the high HC number.

12-02-08, 08:05 PM
If I can read that right, and it is hard to see... but it looks like you did fine for NO, you failed on HC.
That means unburned fuel, check the fuel pressure regulator to see if it is leaking. Pull the vacuum hose off the FPR with the engine running and see if any gas comes out.
Anything else you'd probably notice and since HC is okay at 25 mph it makes sense that the engine is just not using the extra gas from a leaking FPR at the lower speed.
You failed on the first line, not the last reading on that line. If you read the limits and the measured numbers you'll see where you failed for HC.
Thanks for the reply. I tested but found no gas comes out from the FPR. I replaced it anyway since it's part is not expensive and the work is easy. Any other places I need to look at?
Thanks again!

Edahall
12-02-08, 08:50 PM
Plugs and wires would be the next thing I would check.

ewill3rd
12-02-08, 09:31 PM
For high HC you'd need to do some fuel system tests.
You need to measure the fuel pressure, test for things like leaky injectors, or cylinders that are not firing properly.
Are you getting any codes?
Plugs and wires are a good start, but they should be looked at before just throwing some parts on the car.

Lebowski
12-03-08, 05:27 PM
When you go back slip Mr. Sanchez-Ochoa a bottle of tequila and see if that helps any....:D

12-08-08, 05:09 PM
For high HC you'd need to do some fuel system tests.
You need to measure the fuel pressure, test for things like leaky injectors, or cylinders that are not firing properly.
Are you getting any codes?
Plugs and wires are a good start, but they should be looked at before just throwing some parts on the car.
I replaced the Boash plugs with AC Delco. 6 of 8 of the old spark plugs are very oily. The #6 and #7 look just normal. Any ideas? Thanks!

ewill3rd
12-09-08, 09:10 AM
You had this issue with Bosch plugs?
You may have already fixed it. Does this car run okay?
Do you notice any type of misfire condition when driving?