: 1966 coupe deville

Twill08
11-25-08, 04:45 PM
I don't know much about these old one's But Someone has offered me a Trade for his 66 coupe deville for my 97 eldorado. I am not a huge fan of these cars I would Store it for the winter Drive it a bit in spring/summer. But my main question is how much are they worth in a daily driver Condition the car is running and driving but it has some years on it.. very little rust nothing serious just some surface it was well taken care of it has the 429. would they fetch more than 3.2k and is there a market for them?

cadchuck429
11-25-08, 08:16 PM
The 60's and 70' Caddy's are definitely going up in value. Convertibles do the best in any condition then 2 doors and last 4 doors. Check on EBAY for your year and see what there going for this way you can get an idea.

Twill08
11-25-08, 08:51 PM
That was the first thing i looked at and there was only 1 66 going for 25k :eek: but it had 5 offers So i am not 100% sure, I also noticed they had a "throw away" block what's the deal on this.
Is there anything that I should look out for?

cadchuck429
11-26-08, 07:11 AM
What do you mean by "throw away block" ? Depending on what kind of work that 66 needs I think it's a great trade. I'm partial to the older Caddy's I finished a restoration 2 years ago on my 1967 Deville Convertible. I bought the car for $2250.00 back in 2002 sunk about 16K I was offered 30K not to long ago. But I didn't do it for the investment I did it for the enjoyment and its a real conversation piece if your at a traffic light, cruising people beep there horns give you the thumbs up. I would say A high end Coupe with original miles in excellent condition should bring 10 - 12k. A fair to good 4-6 k. Fair condition 1500-2500k.

cohare
11-26-08, 02:02 PM
that car will always be worth something, there are only so many left and the market for them is going up for sure. when I was looking drivers with decent interiors were going for 8-10k. You could get more than 3.2k in your sleep, hell mine had 2 other offers on it when I walked up with cash for 6k, sans paint, jacked up interior and faulty brakes. Of course it has 2k worth of airbags but, dont pass up your deal!

^^^^ he is totally right everyone loves these cars, I had a 911 Turbo not too long ago and I bet I have gotten more comments in 2 months than in 1.5 years with the Porsche.

77CDV
11-26-08, 11:27 PM
I personally think it sounds like a great trade, but if you have no affinity for these cars, I'd advise you to pass. They do require a bit more upkeep than a newer car, and the driving experience is totally different from what you're used to. If you believe you would enjoy owning the car, then go for it. But, I'd hate to see you get the car and then neglect it because it turns out to be something you just don't care for.

Twill08
11-27-08, 12:54 AM
O i know the older cars need more up keep and i would never neglect her, She will be sitting in heated storage all winter :) I talked to the owner a bit more today, he informed me that the oil pan seal is bad and all the oil will leak out over 3-4 week period I hope he noticed this before he drove it around.. But I think i will go for it I can work on cars (did the head gaskets on the Eldo) I doubt this car could be more of a pain than that was..

Anything i should look out for other than the basic rust/dash cracks?

77CDV
11-30-08, 12:29 AM
Only known issue that comes to mind is a cracked exhaust manifold on the passenger side. Seems the climate control piping over it can ice up while in use, and then the cold icemelt drips onto the hot manifold and CRACK! Also, the body mount tend to rot in damp climates, leaving the body sitting directly on the frame, held only by friction and dead weight. On the subject of rust, don't forget to pull the fender skirts and check for rust there, and also around the rear window frame, even inside on the package shelf.

Good luck in the hunt!
Craig

cohare
12-03-08, 09:29 AM
Oil pan gasket is nothing, mine is shot too, having it replaced now.

mharker
12-04-08, 10:20 PM
Owning a 68 sedan, I have been watching ads for these models for more than 10 years.

It's all about condition. Convertibles get top dollar if they are really, really nice. If they need a lot of work, they aren't worth much because even if you restore it to concours condition you'll be hard pressed to get your money back.

Coupes and sedans aren't worth much either, even the nicest originals can be acquired for way under $10K. There is not a big market for these cars.

Just because you happened upon this coupe doesn't mean it's the best option for the money. If you look around a car that's 2 or 3 times as good might only be a couple grand more. These are slow sellers.

Having said that, if you enjoy restoring and don't care that it will cost more than the car's worth, they are very easy reliable cars to own. I can let my 68 sit neglected for the longest time and it roars to life when called upon. Never seen anything like it. A nice 66 could easily run another 42 years.