: Weird issue with "play" in the steering wheel

Cirefly
11-25-08, 12:31 PM
When driving straight and moving the wheel from side to side it feels tight, no play at all, nothing feels lose or knocks. I can't feel anything in the wheel.

When on slower, more wide/sweeping turns (such as in a neighborhood when flipping a u-turn in an intersection after getting the mail - or turning into a parking lot) it feels like there is a little play. Just a little. And I can feel a little bump/knock in the steering wheel. It's pretty faint but it's there. I have an '03 and an '04 ESV, both do the same thing. Is this normal? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the info, guys.

luxurylife33
11-25-08, 03:03 PM
pitman arm..... im 99% positive.... i had the same problem, apparently it is very common on these cars.... mine lost teeth, which caused there to be play....its very dangerous to be driving while it is loose.

luxurylife33
11-25-08, 03:04 PM
o and it was $600 to replace the pitman arm w/ and alignment

Scott in Milwaukee
11-25-08, 03:38 PM
o and it was $600 to replace the pitman arm w/ and alignment

Ouch. Must have been a dealer. Ask your friends for an alignment shop referral.

Cirefly
11-25-08, 04:28 PM
pitman arm..... im 99% positive.... i had the same problem, apparently it is very common on these cars.... mine lost teeth, which caused there to be play....its very dangerous to be driving while it is loose.

Well that doesn't sound too good. Was yours barely noticeable like mine? I literally can hardly feel it but I'm a hypochondriac with car problems so I'm an 'early detector' of vehicle illness. It's a curse.

g00dy
11-28-08, 05:51 PM
I had the same problem with my '03 twice and had it fixed both times while under warranty. Check with the dealer. They can tell you what the problem is and if it is unsafe. Ask to see the service bulletin listed below. See if the service bulliten is done free when out of warranty. I don't really think it is a pitman arm. Here are the comments on the service report.

Steering interm shaft rattling. R/R shaft and lubed. Bulletin 000235003J
Lube Kit 26098419

Cirefly
11-28-08, 07:52 PM
I had the same problem with my '03 twice and had it fixed both times while under warranty. Check with the dealer. They can tell you what the problem is and if it is unsafe. Ask to see the service bulletin listed below. See if the service bulliten is done free when out of warranty. I don't really think it is a pitman arm. Here are the comments on the service report.

Steering interm shaft rattling. R/R shaft and lubed. Bulletin 000235003J
Lube Kit 26098419

Thank you very much for the info, I'll make some calls. Any idea what the repair cost was w/out warranty coverage? Mine is obviously far out of warranty.

g00dy
11-28-08, 09:13 PM
Here is a link where you can read the service bulletin and also has repair information on line.
http://www.sjcpls.org/referencetools3.aspx
Click on the link to the auto repair reference center about half way down the page.