: 2007 XLR 4.6 in a Hot Rod!

brewhog55
11-25-08, 03:38 AM
I have a friend I'm helping with a Northstar 4.6 he put in an old Ford.
We have the PCM and the engine wiring harness. VATS has been defeated but we can't get the motor to run.
We can crank it and have confirmed ignition and think we have everything powered that should be, as well as grounds.
The problem we seem to be having is getting the injectors to pulse.
The only tech info I have is a Mitchell Wiring Diagram for a 2007 XLR Engine Performance Circuit.
Anyone with some ideas?
What does the PCM need to "see" to enable start/run?
I am thinking once it starts/runs we can work through what will likely be more issues, these are great motors and having one in an old Hot Rod throws back to the days when having a "Caddy Motor" meant you had some power.
Don

Submariner409
11-25-08, 10:26 AM
2007 and the new diagnostic system is out of the older OBD-II line, but it sounds as if something has disabled injector function because of a perceived theft threat. The VATS (is that really what it is ?) or PassKey-III will do that if all the keys and switches don't match.

97EldoCoupe
11-25-08, 06:41 PM
Post some pics of the installation! This sounds like an awesome project!

brewhog55
11-25-08, 07:48 PM
Here is a sneak peak taken last year.
We are in final assembly now and plan to have it debut at the Grand National Roadster show in LA this coming January.
A 36 Ford Roadster with a lot of custom work done.
Don

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/BrewHog55/Misc%20Stuff/PICT0127a.jpg

AJxtcman
11-25-08, 08:26 PM
I have a friend I'm helping with a Northstar 4.6 he put in an old Ford.
We have the PCM and the engine wiring harness. VATS has been defeated but we can't get the motor to run.
We can crank it and have confirmed ignition and think we have everything powered that should be, as well as grounds.
The problem we seem to be having is getting the injectors to pulse.
The only tech info I have is a Mitchell Wiring Diagram for a 2007 XLR Engine Performance Circuit.
Anyone with some ideas?
What does the PCM need to "see" to enable start/run?
I am thinking once it starts/runs we can work through what will likely be more issues, these are great motors and having one in an old Hot Rod throws back to the days when having a "Caddy Motor" meant you had some power.
Don

are you running a E67 ECM?

brewhog55
11-25-08, 08:52 PM
Yeah, it is the E67 ECM.
Any Ideas?
Don

97EldoCoupe
11-25-08, 09:23 PM
That is going to be one sweet ride. Keep us posted. And the more pics the better!

brewhog55
11-26-08, 03:16 AM
OK, Here is another one from a while ago.

To fit motor in the car, the engine compartment had to be lengthened.
Those that know 36 Fords will see a lot of changes.
As you can see there isn't much left of the original body. This car was a good candidate to customize because it needed soo much work.

What we are looking for now is to make it run. I think we are almost there. I am just looking for input from some of you here that know these motors.
You would of thought that should have been figured out before now. The variable cam motors make soo much nice smooth power.
This particular engine is new.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/BrewHog55/Misc%20Stuff/P1000777a.jpg

brewhog55
11-26-08, 03:22 AM
P.S.
Henry Ford helped design and build the first Cadillac.
So, having Caddy power in a Ford works!
Don

Raze
11-26-08, 12:58 PM
You need the FSM with the wiring harness diagram, you're going to have to go through it sensor by sensor to see which signal to the PCM is disabling the fuel injector circuit. Even though it doesn't have variable cam support, you may want to start thinking about a MegaSquirt, fully adjustable/tunable, you can build them yourself or get it mostly preassembled. I wish you luck getting the OEM system working, everyone that's tried transplanting and thought they had the whole system inevitably left out something that caused major headaches, keep us posted!

AJxtcman
11-26-08, 03:39 PM
This is a GMLAN aka CAN system. If the Onstar is unplugged on this type of system or any other module on the LAN circuit the car will not start. If the Onstar module goes bad every module on the GM high speed LAN is off line. The car will not start.

Now I am not sure how this PCM was had the PassKey system disabled, but I still don't know how the car will run without the LAN circuit in place. I know the car can run without any LAN connected, but I am if the tuner did all what it takes.

brewhog55
07-06-09, 11:58 PM
AJ,
I see you got the STS-V to run in a 57 Chevy...Sweet!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillacownerstrain-control-module-pcm-tuning/161456-06-07-rwd-sts-engine-trans-2.html
Can you send a PM with contact info?
I would really like to talk to you about this.
We are back to trying to get this to run on the E67.
Looking to put one of the supercharged motors into a 57 Brougham.
Don

brewhog55
07-07-09, 12:06 AM
Here is a recent pic of the car from the GNRS show.
It's running with a Motec.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/BrewHog55/Misc%20Stuff/P1010325a.jpg

Krashed989
07-07-09, 12:21 AM
Wow, sweet ride man!... I can only imagine how much work you had to have put into it. You got it working? Can we get a pic of the engine? :D

AJxtcman
07-07-09, 02:16 PM
Take a look at this Roger and Don
http://www.hotrodconstruction.com/gallery/index.php

brewhog55
07-07-09, 08:47 PM
AJ,
Very Nice!
The sheet metal engine cover looks good.
Lots of work went into that.
I think a Supercharged Northstar would look awesome in a 33/34 Ford.
Not to mention how well it would run.
Roger sent me some of your info, we got's lot's to read.
Thanks,
Don