: Who Else Puts Their Cad Away in Winter?

greencadillacmatt
11-24-08, 08:39 PM
Just wondering who else out there stores their Caddy for the winter months. Sadly I live in the rust-belt of Michigan. I can't keep my '84 out in the snow unless I want it to be swiss-cheese. Found indoor storage 'till the snow melts. What do you guys do? I filled mine with Irish Spring.:cool2:

pompste
11-24-08, 09:24 PM
Just wondering who else out there stores their Caddy for the winter months. Sadly I live in the rust-belt of Michigan. I can't keep my '84 out in the snow unless I want it to be swiss-cheese. Found indoor storage 'till the snow melts. What do you guys do? I filled mine with Irish Spring.:cool2:

I also live in the rust belt of Michigan--Grand Rapids.I store my mint condition 1995 Sedan Deville in my garage every winter-----only bringing it out on dry salt free days to keep the fluids flowing.In case the weather is bad for weeks at a time,as you know that`s very common especially for the months November through March,i start my Caddy at least 3 days a week in my garage and let it idle for 20 minutes or so each time.I`ve also had it rustproofed and undercoated in case my winter ride needs service/repair and i`m forced to drive the Caddy in the slushy mess.
Since my winter ride is NOT a Cadillac i won`t mention the name----but as soon as i bought it i had it rustproofed and undercoated as well.I like to keep my rides as long as i can (i kept my previous 2 rides exactly 20 years each and then donated them to local charitable organizations) so the rustproofing/undercoating helps in preserving them.

Cadillac Giovanni
11-24-08, 09:25 PM
I know I should put it away, but I don't. Mostly because I have nowhere to store it. I live in New England, and so did my car, even before I bought it. I don't think it was ever garaged, and it's held up well. There's some rust on the frame, but at this point I guess there's not much I can do.

Before winter I usually take a few cans of high-end rubberized undercoating and go nuts with it. I also try to get it washed at least once a weak. I have a great car wash nearby that offers all sorts of rust inhibiting sprays, in addition to washing your windows, inside and out, and drying and buffing the car by hand.

I know I'd do better to store it for the salty winter months, but god help me I just love driving it. I think it's neat that my car was never babied, it went up against nearly 20 years of New England snow, slush, and salt, and it's still here, starting up on the coldest of mornings and braving the icy roads with the best of them.

creeker
11-24-08, 09:45 PM
I enjoy driving my cars too,actually when I bought my 92 eldo.(my fun toy car) my 97 sts is now out in the weather and the 92 is in the carport.
I drive them both 12 months of the year.To me storing a car for safe keeping is like keeping the plastic covering on your new sofa,I bought them to entertain me,and not for their sake.I also live in a very mild mostly snow and salt free environment.

billc83
11-24-08, 10:09 PM
My 1999 Deville stays outside. If it does snow (which is rare), I will either drive a different car or walk to work (gasp!) if I feel the snow will really be a problem.

The Allante, however, remains garaged at all times unless I'm driving it.

Old Fleetwood
11-24-08, 11:11 PM
If the winter weather around West Hartford, CT is really snotty, the FWB stays in the driveway.
(As of this writing, I'm still WAITING for one of the bureaucrats at town hall to stop by and hang the final C of O on the attached shed behind the garage so I can take all the crap in the garage out of the garage and put it in the shed. That means snowblower, lawn vacuum, lawn edger, mower, BBQ, 15 folding chairs, 2 tables, 2 umbrellas, portable dog fencing and on and on. Then I can keep the Cadillac IN the garage. Thus far, my "tax dollars at work" resulted in the first inspection took THREE WEEKS before they came by to tell the contractor the Sonotubes were deep enough for the footings. Now that the 10x12 structure is complete, it's been FOUR WEEKS and we're still waiting for the final. Ahh, yes. It must be nice to be a public employee.)
:alchi:
Anyhow, during rotten weather with salt on the streets, we use wife's Chrysler Concorde (FWD) and get it washed every few days at one of those car wash places that says they wash the undercarriage.

creeker
11-24-08, 11:37 PM
When I lived in an area that used salt,I would put an oscillating lawn sprinkler under my car once in awhile.

Cadillac Giovanni
11-24-08, 11:49 PM
^^^ That may just be the most clever thing I have ever heard...

Aron9000
11-25-08, 01:10 AM
Mine gets driven in the winter, but we don't get any snow to speak of during the winter. Mostly rain.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-25-08, 02:14 AM
Mine is sitting in my garage right now. I changed the oil, drove it around for about 20 minutes to get stuff flowin and then parked it in the garage. I filled up the tires to 45 psi because when it gets colder they will deflate and I cannot get to the far side because it is parked about 4 inches from the wall. Disconnected the battery, put some Bounce sheets in the cabin/engine bay to keep any mice from chewing the wiring up, put a cover on it and there she sits until the first rain of spring washes away the salt. I am now driving the Isuzu for the rest of these cold months. 4WD FTW!

I have heard many different ways about how you are supposed to store your car. My family has been storing cars for many years so I go by what has worked so far. I NEVER start my car in the middle of winter because if you don't actually drive it then condensation forms in the exhaust and it rots away faster than you could imagine. My family also does not wash their cars at all during winter. Washing it causes the salt to get pushed into any scratches in the paint and any gaps in the body panels, causing them to rust. Also, putting water on the car in freezing temps is not to great. It gets down into the same scratches and freezes, causing them to expand and start rusting.

96Fleetwood
11-25-08, 08:23 AM
I am getting to put my '96 away for the winter. I will change the oil, fill up the tank and add fuel stabilizer, put on the stock 15 inch wheels/tires, disconnect the battery, and put the breathable cover over it till Spring.

EndlessRyd
11-25-08, 11:48 AM
I always store the 88 Brougham from Nov 1 to April 1. I found a great place that used to be a chicken farm... really reasonable rate for the season. I start it once a month for about 20 min, and have added some fuel additive. I really want to keep the car rust free, because in Illinois, a rust free 20 year old car is rare. My car is from Tennessee, and has always been garaged... I just couldnt leave it out in the winter. I dont drive it much anyway... Only put about 500 miles per year on it.

DopeStar 156
11-25-08, 01:03 PM
Mine just chill in my driveway under a cover. I try to run them at least once a week but I forget sometimes. If the roads are clean I'll take them for a quick spin around the block but that's really it. Once the bad weather seems like it's over they get through washes.....

VortecCaddy
11-25-08, 04:43 PM
Winter is when all the work gets done to my car. A new 500 BB is instore for this winter.

Wheelman322
11-27-08, 01:57 PM
I keep mine in my attached garage, start it about once a week and take it for a short ride after a 15 minute idle at least once a month. I actually sold my other 2 Caddys because I didn't want to watch them rust, and have no indoor storage to keep them in.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/80Brougham2008-10-19.jpg

Submariner409
11-27-08, 04:39 PM
Storing a car for 4 -5 months is simple.

Change the oil and filter after a 10 mile drive, using an 8 oz. bottle of oil stabilizer, obtained from any marine store (or online) or large parts house. Add 12-16 oz. of fuel stabilizer (StaBil or equivalent). Fill the tank. Run the engine at least 5 minutes and shut it off. DO NOT restart it until you're ready to use it in the spring. (Short runs or long idles are absolute murder on an engine because the oil/engine never gets warm enough to burn off condensation and blowby acids, so it all just sits there, accumulating more each time you run it for 10 minutes) Put the car up on jackstands to unload the suspension. Deflate the tires to 10 psi. You can either connect a smart (NOT ferroresonant) battery charger for a couple of hours every 2 weeks or use a smart battery maintainer which stays hooked up for the whole storage period.

ReagansRollsRoyce
12-19-08, 10:23 PM
It's my only car at the moment so I have to take it out (New England). However, it is garaged and I wash it thoroughly a few times a week, and always after a snow.

Just starting getting a real paycheck so saving up for a FW drive DeVille to drive on the bad days so I can keep the FWB indoors during that time.

ShadowLvr400
12-20-08, 10:41 AM
Florida baby. :) *goes and drives whenenver he feels like it with no fear of road salt* :)

Old Fleetwood
12-21-08, 12:29 AM
Winter lasts for more than 11 weeks, but when I was drafted, back in 1960 (when dinosaurs were still upon the earth), I simply backed my 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser into the garage, locked it, shut the garage door and toddled down to the induction center.
I didn't see the car until they let me out of Fort Knox 11 weeks later :alchi:
As I recall, the battery barely started the car, but it DID start and there weren't even any flat spots on the tires.
But I sure wouldn't recommend that procedure for any Cadillac today!:bonkers:

96Fleetwood
12-21-08, 01:02 AM
Florida baby. :) *goes and drives whenenver he feels like it with no fear of road salt* :)

Don't remind me... I miss Florida :(

ShadowLvr400
12-21-08, 10:33 AM
Ahhh here it is, just a few days to x-mas... Currently sunny, and 63 degrees out. :)

gillianwhittaker@xtr
12-21-08, 01:05 PM
never seen snow in the area I live in --some on hills in winter so don`t have to worry too much ALTHOUGH I am in the process of garage construction at present to house my two cadillacs .
Anyway, summer coming on here -:):):)-least of my concerns at this point.

mfnheff
12-21-08, 03:09 PM
i drive my fwb everyday. it isn't any different than any other mid-late 90s GM car. I don't wash it during the winter. I keep my fluids clean and full. I air my tires. I do however, keep the interior spotless and dry. These cars were built to drive, and there isn't enough snow or slush that will keep me from driving it.
Some of this stuff is like making a kid wear a helment when they're swimming...ridiculous.

greencadillacmatt
12-22-08, 01:46 AM
Just can't let myself subject the DeVille to the Michigan salt.
Although, not driving it is slowly... driving... me... insane... :cookoo:

MT-ED
01-07-09, 05:10 PM
i drive my fwb everyday. it isn't any different than any other mid-late 90s GM car. I don't wash it during the winter. I keep my fluids clean and full. I air my tires. I do however, keep the interior spotless and dry. These cars were built to drive, and there isn't enough snow or slush that will keep me from driving it.
Some of this stuff is like making a kid wear a helment when they're swimming...ridiculous.

Good for you! Here's mine the other day........

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Necropolis026.jpg

Martin.

Cadillac Giovanni
01-07-09, 09:55 PM
Hey! Nice picture!

We had a harsh snowstorm just before Christmas here in MA, I wanted to take a picture of my car buried under the foot and a half of snow but I forgot to. I should have taken a picture this morning too. We had an ice storm, and my car was layered with about an inch of ice, with icicles hanging off every edge.

"i drive my fwb everyday. it isn't any different than any other mid-late 90s GM car. I don't wash it during the winter. I keep my fluids clean and full. I air my tires. I do however, keep the interior spotless and dry. These cars were built to drive, and there isn't enough snow or slush that will keep me from driving it.
Some of this stuff is like making a kid wear a helment when they're swimming...ridiculous."

You're missing the point. It's not about the snow and slush, it's about the ice and salt that can ruin paint and vinyl, and rot your car away from the bottom up. I'm not sure where you live, but in New England, you can tell how old a car is by how much of the frame is rotted away.

Aron9000
01-08-09, 04:09 AM
Good for you! Here's mine the other day........

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/Necropolis026.jpg

Martin.

We have the same exact car, mine is a 91 D'Elegance, same navy blue color scheme, 350, only mine has wire rims. I drive mine in the winter as well, but in Tennessee it might snow once or twice a year, even then its only an inch or two and is gone by noon.

Fleet
01-09-09, 02:40 AM
Yeah, don't need to store mine out here, either (San Fernando Valley, Calif.).

It is supposed to be near 80 degrees by the weekend so I will probably drive the '69 Fleetwood Brougham.

pompste
01-09-09, 07:17 PM
Just can't let myself subject the DeVille to the Michigan salt.
Although, not driving it is slowly... driving... me... insane... :cookoo:

As a another Michigander here, i understand how it is for sure! I keep my 1995 Sedan Deville garaged most of the winter---only bringing it out on days when the roads are "dry and salt free"----which is rare,as you know.Even on the so called "dry and salt free days",there is still that very fine "white salt dust" that covers the roads and stays there until a heavy rain washes it away.
After 2 or 3 weeks of not driving it at all----i get the itch to want to drive it for sure!