: Top 5 Luxury Cars for 2009 Just Announced by NADAguides.com

Lord Cadillac
11-24-08, 04:03 PM
Top 5 Luxury Cars for 2009 Just Announced by NADAguides.com
(http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Top-5-Luxury-Cars-2009/story.aspx?guid={26EA942A-EDC5-4FCA-83CC-7DD111A6C957})
1. 2009 Audi A8 L, starting at $74,050.
2. 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged, starting at $64,475.
3. 2009 Mercedes-Benz S Class 550, starting at $90,225.
4. 2009 Hyundai Genesis, starting at $32,250.
5. 2009 Bentley Arnage, starting at $224,900.

Blackout
11-24-08, 05:09 PM
Very interesting. I saw it was from you and figured there was going to be either a Caddy or the Genesis on that list. That's a hell of an accomplishment for Hyundai that their first real luxury car has managed to be put into such a prestigious list and the main thing that sticks out of that list is the price tag difference!

orconn
11-24-08, 05:14 PM
Well, I would find any list that started with an Audi suspect. The last time I followed a recommendation from the automotive press I bought the absolute most unsatisfactory car I have ever had ........ the 1985 Audi 5000S Avant. My friends and associares who purchased Audis about that time had the same experience. On top of it the local and national service people were unhelpful and arrogant. I know it was a long time ago, but people I know who have recently purchased Audis haven't faired any better. In my case once burned, twice shy!

As for the rest of the list, well putting the Hyandai in that list is very suspect indeed. People purchasing cars in those price ranges are buying more than automotive value, not to mention I doubt that the Hyundai's furniture quality is up to the standards of the group.

96Fleetwood
11-24-08, 06:03 PM
They even had the Genesis on "24: Redemption" last night. I am getting sick of hearing about that car. I have seen several in person and they just do not impress me much. Isn't the $32K version a 6 cylinder? I don't even see how that can compare to the rest of the list...

Blackout
11-24-08, 08:56 PM
They even had the Genesis on "24: Redemption" last night. I am getting sick of hearing about that car. I have seen several in person and they just do not impress me much. Isn't the $32K version a 6 cylinder? I don't even see how that can compare to the rest of the list...

V8 version

Blackout
11-24-08, 08:57 PM
Well, I would find any list that started with an Audi suspect. The last time I followed a recommendation from the automotive press I bought the absolute most unsatisfactory car I have ever had ........ the 1985 Audi 5000S Avant. My friends and associares who purchased Audis about that time had the same experience. On top of it the local and national service people were unhelpful and arrogant. I know it was a long time ago, but people I know who have recently purchased Audis haven't faired any better. In my case once burned, twice shy!

As for the rest of the list, well putting the Hyandai in that list is very suspect indeed. People purchasing cars in those price ranges are buying more than automotive value, not to mention I doubt that the Hyundai's furniture quality is up to the standards of the group.
Can you name me a car company that was building really good cars back in 1985? You really need to give Audi a look at because they have really come of age

LS1Mike
11-24-08, 09:11 PM
http://www.parrauto.com/carcenter.php?lot=hyundai&type=new&make=Hyundai
http://www.hyundai.carpros.com/new.inventory.php
http://www.tituswillcars.com/carsearch/results.php?type=new&make=2&model=29
http://www.larsonhyundai.com/inventorydisplay.aspx?brw=new-hyundai-genesis&s=new

But right from the Hyundai site
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/shoppingtools/byo/model.aspx?vehicle=Genesis
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/Genesis/genesis.aspx
You are starting at 37,000 for the V8
I agree with 96fleetwood.
Not to say it isn't a nice car, but it does not start at 32,000 for the V8.

Back to your regularly scheduled Hyundai Commerical. :D

orconn
11-24-08, 09:12 PM
Can you name me a car company that was building really good cars back in 1985? You really need to give Audi a look at because they have really come of age

Sorry, I have four acquaintances that have bought Audis in the last four years; 1 A8, three A6s. All four cars have spent alot of time in the shop. Granted it was warranty work, but one doesn't expect to pay a premium to be driving rental cars! by the way Mercedes of that era as well as Jaguars were setting new benchmarks for quality and reliability. The Volkswagen Scirocco was pretty decent also.

ryannel2003
11-24-08, 09:42 PM
My uncle had an '83 300D Turbo Diesel and it was the most reliable car he's owned to date. 200k+ trouble free miles, and the car was much more nicely assembled than my '00 Seville.

Most of the 80's cars were riddled with problems. Mercedes was one of the few exceptions, though they did have a few issues.

MauiV
11-24-08, 09:52 PM
I still hate the generic grill. If your embarrassed to put a Hyundai badge on it then make a luxury line ala Acura, Infinity and Lexus.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-08, 11:35 PM
# 3 FTW! :thumbsup:

Lord Cadillac
11-25-08, 11:19 AM
I still hate the generic grill. If your embarrassed to put a Hyundai badge on it then make a luxury line ala Acura, Infinity and Lexus.
It's really no big deal. Remember the Buick Riviera? Where was the Buick logo on that vehicle?

MauiV
11-25-08, 12:07 PM
It just looks like a made up car with an ugly grill. Its missing something and that something is a badge.

C&C
11-25-08, 12:21 PM
Again, it's just somebodies list. I don't particularly agree with any of the picks and know I wouldn't be putting any of those on my shopping list either. (As with all lists though, it does seem to get action/reaction from folks.)

Jesda
11-25-08, 12:58 PM
The current A8 is getting old, but its quite a car.

Lord Cadillac
11-25-08, 03:32 PM
The current A8 is getting old, but its quite a car.
My wife wants one.. I'm not giving her a hard time about it. :p

Coma
11-25-08, 03:44 PM
The S550 is one of my dream cars. I love those things. I could never justify spending that much on a car though. Still, one can dream?

Blackout
11-25-08, 04:23 PM
It's really no big deal. Remember the Buick Riviera? Where was the Buick logo on that vehicle?

Look at the Dodge SRT-4. Yes the car was built off of the Neon but try and find a Neon badge anywhere on it

Lord Cadillac
11-25-08, 04:33 PM
Me too....

The S550 is one of my dream cars. I love those things. I could never justify spending that much on a car though. Still, one can dream?

Look at the Dodge SRT-4. Yes the car was built off of the Neon but try and find a Neon badge anywhere on it

Right. Hyundai isn't the first...

Blackout
11-25-08, 07:17 PM
Right. Hyundai isn't the first...Nor will they be the last

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-08, 07:20 PM
1995 Buick Riviera, 1995 Oldsmobile Toronado, SRT-4, Genesis, early Cimarrons, among others...they all did it.

ted tcb
11-25-08, 07:39 PM
Oldsmobile Aurora ... there was no way GM was going to put the Olds logo on a car so fresh.
All you could find was a stylized logo, which kind of looked like a Lexus logo.
Didn't save Oldsmobile, though, did it?

MauiV
11-25-08, 07:44 PM
I would rather have a CLS63 over an S, but thats just me. I think its the best looking car on the road.

THE SEX....

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/2363584959_5320dd98b5.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/image_001.jpg

Sandy
11-26-08, 03:44 PM
At $32,250.00 that there Hyundai ain't no "Luxury Car" Sorry - No Cigar.
It's a "Luxury Car" like a pig is Kosher! Substitute the Volvo S80 Premier Elite,
with AWD, 311 H.P. dual DVD/TV screen in back of front headrests, Rear Seat armrest
folds down to reveal a 'Fridge to keep 12 cans of whatever, or 2 tall wine or soda bottles,
and rear package shelf has 4 Sweedish Stem Ware glasses - built into a secret compartment,
with a velvet lining.
To die for leather seats AND door panels, power opening AND power closing trunk,
from fully opened position and 19: wheels/tires, and variable driver selected
suspension from soft to exrtra firm, and in dash 6-disc CD, MP3 and 12 Dynadio
Speakers. Sun Roof with Moisture sensor on front moulding to close roof should
it detect rain. Loads more that I cannot recall. Fully loaded $60,511.00
That car shoulda been included !! Side Door Air Bags, too, and vibrators
for your back in the front seats and all seats are heated AND air conditioned !!
(Have cooling fans within them.
Only car in which 2 people can sit in the back and choose heated or cooled seats,
on scandivian leather seating while one watches TV and the other plays games,
both with private headsets, while sipping wine from cut crystal stemware,
with mouton carpet underfoot.

Lord Cadillac
11-26-08, 05:27 PM
No, but unlike Oldsmobile - Hyundai doesn't need to be saved...

Oldsmobile Aurora ... there was no way GM was going to put the Olds logo on a car so fresh.

Lord Cadillac
11-26-08, 05:29 PM
The Hyundai Genesis may not be a Volvo S80 Premier Elite - but by all means, it IS a luxury car. If the Genesis isn't a luxury car, than Cadillac doesn't have any luxury cars either.

At $32,250.00 that there Hyundai ain't no "Luxury Car" Sorry - No Cigar.
It's a "Luxury Car" like a pig is Kosher! Substitute the Volvo S80 Premier Elite,
with AWD, 311 H.P. dual DVD/TV screen in back of front headrests, Rear Seat armrest
folds down to reveal a 'Fridge to keep 12 cans of whatever, or 2 tall wine or soda bottles,
and rear package shelf has 4 Sweedish Stem Ware glasses - built into a secret compartment,
with a velvet lining.
To die for leather seats AND door panels, power opening AND power closing trunk,
from fully opened position and 19: wheels/tires, and variable driver selected
suspension from soft to exrtra firm, and in dash 6-disc CD, MP3 and 12 Dynadio
Speakers. Sun Roof with Moisture sensor on front moulding to close roof should
it detect rain. Loads more that I cannot recall. Fully loaded $60,511.00
That car shoulda been included !! Side Door Air Bags, too, and vibrators
for your back in the front seats and all seats are heated AND air conditioned !!
(Have cooling fans within them.
Only car in which 2 people can sit in the back and choose heated or cooled seats,
on scandivian leather seating while one watches TV and the other plays games,
both with private headsets, while sipping wine from cut crystal stemware,
with mouton carpet underfoot.

Cliff8928
11-27-08, 03:11 AM

Really good in what respect though? Reliability? Performance? Looks?

That was also when they had the old rocket logo. It would've looked out of place on the Aurora. It may have been better with the newer 98+ logo.

Also, the VW Phaeton should've never had a huge VW logo emblazoned on it.

gothicaleigh
11-27-08, 01:06 PM
Top 5 Luxury Cars for 2009 Just Announced by NADAguides.com
(http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Top-5-Luxury-Cars-2009/story.aspx?guid={26EA942A-EDC5-4FCA-83CC-7DD111A6C957})
1. 2009 Audi A8 L, starting at $74,050.
2. 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged, starting at $64,475.
3. 2009 Mercedes-Benz S Class 550, starting at $90,225.
4. 2009 Hyundai Genesis, starting at $32,250.
5. 2009 Bentley Arnage, starting at $224,900.

:rofl: ...somehow I knew what this was going to be about before I ever opened the thread...

Don't you own a Genesis site? :p

<heads over to spam it with V-related posts> :shifty

Lord Cadillac
11-27-08, 01:58 PM
:rofl: ...somehow I knew what this was going to be about before I ever opened the thread...

Don't you own a Genesis site? :p

<heads over to spam it with V-related posts> :shifty
Yeah, I like the Genesis.. It's another one of those cars I think Cadillac should be building..

As for spamming the Genesis forum with V-Series topics, well, it's not spam at all - unless you're posting outside the General Discussion forum. So please be my guest. :)

orconn
11-27-08, 02:47 PM
The Hyundai Genesis may not be a Volvo S80 Premier Elite - but by all means, it IS a luxury car. If the Genesis isn't a luxury car, than Cadillac doesn't have any luxury cars either.

Given its' current line up, I think you may be right ........ Cadillac doesn't have any "luxury" cars ( with maybe the exception of the XLR). What Cadillac makes, and for that matter Mercedes, BMW and Lexus, make are "Executive" cars. Cars that are affordable to the salaried affluent, which have neither the build quality, accessories or, let's face it, the truly exclusive price tag of a true luxury car. The Hyandai is really an entry level executive class car, and perhaps a very good one for the price. But only time will tell whether how the Hyandai Genesis stands up in daily use, the great warranty is a plus, but let's face too many visits to the dealership for repairs sours any owner (except maybe Mercedes, BMW and Seville owners, Ha! Ha!).

Blackout
11-27-08, 03:28 PM
Given its' current line up, I think you may be right ........ Cadillac doesn't have any "luxury" cars ( with maybe the exception of the XLR).Out of all of the cars in Cadillac's lineup I would put the XLR at the bottom of the list as the most luxurious. It's a glorified Corvette with an inferior motor with essentially the same options as the Corvette but it costs like $35k more. How that makes sense is beyond me. The only thing that would make it luxurious would maybe be the hard top convertible but when the Pontiac G6 convertible also has that as an option that just makes it that less luxurious.

What Cadillac makes, and for that matter Mercedes, BMW and Lexus, make are "Executive" cars. Cars that are affordable to the salaried affluent, which have neither the build quality, accessories or, let's face it, the truly exclusive price tag of a true luxury car. The Hyandai is really an entry level executive class car, and perhaps a very good one for the price. But only time will tell whether how the Hyandai Genesis stands up in daily use, the great warranty is a plus, but let's face too many visits to the dealership for repairs sours any owner (except maybe Mercedes, BMW and Seville owners, Ha! Ha!).
This is just another reason why I do not get the thinking behind people's buying of cars and the reasons why they will pick up this car versus that. The Genesis beats on cars much more expensive and it's options list is quite nice but for a similar optioned out Benz your looking at the very least $20k more in price just because it's a Benz. For me I base my buying decisions off of what gives me the best pluck for my buck not by what badge is on the car. If I can get a similar car from Hyundai/GM/Ford/Suzuki/etc that is right there option wise and power wise as a BMW or Benz and save myself $10k+ in the process you would have to be a retard (IMO) to not want to save that money.

orconn
11-27-08, 06:03 PM
Out of all of the cars in Cadillac's lineup I would put the XLR at the bottom of the list as the most luxurious. It's a glorified Corvette with an inferior motor with essentially the same options as the Corvette but it costs like $35k more. How that makes sense is beyond me. The only thing that would make it luxurious would maybe be the hard top convertible but when the Pontiac G6 convertible also has that as an option that just makes it that less luxurious.

This is just another reason why I do not get the thinking behind people's buying of cars and the reasons why they will pick up this car versus that. The Genesis beats on cars much more expensive and it's options list is quite nice but for a similar optioned out Benz your looking at the very least $20k more in price just because it's a Benz. For me I base my buying decisions off of what gives me the best pluck for my buck not by what badge is on the car. If I can get a similar car from Hyundai/GM/Ford/Suzuki/etc that is right there option wise and power wise as a BMW or Benz and save myself $10k+ in the process you would have to be a retard (IMO) to not want to save that money.

And you are a wise lad, indeed! Unless you are looking for the prestige that comes with owning a "new" Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar or Lexus, not to mention Rolls, Bentley or Maserati.

Blackout
11-27-08, 08:33 PM
And you are a wise lad, indeed! Unless you are looking for the prestige that comes with owning a "new" Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar or Lexus, not to mention Rolls, Bentley or Maserati.

Luckily I already have a woman so I don't need the badge to extend my penis size

96Fleetwood
11-27-08, 08:47 PM
The uber wealthy are not going to settle for something "just as good." They want something that resembles their accomplishments/assets. The Mercedes or BMW that is $20K more does just that. They wouldn't wear a Sears brand suit just because it was as good as an Armani.. so why should they drive any different?

The Genesis is a great car, no doubt. However it will be bought by those who were going for a entry level luxury car like a ES350, Avalon, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc, etc.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-27-08, 08:56 PM
I'd take one over an ES, Avalon, and most C Classes, but not the 3 Series or A4..

ryannel2003
11-27-08, 09:21 PM
I don't like how BMW's snob image associates young buyers and rich punks, but I do understand why the 3-series is fawned over by so many. So precise, perfect handling, and a stylish exterior. However, I'm not a fan of the interior and the lack of power offered by the base model. I'd take a CTS over one easily; ditto for the A4, a car I've never been a fan of.

New Merc C-Class is huge improvement over last model, but not a fan of the el-cheapo interior. ES? Avalon? Hardly cars that would compete with the 3, C, and A4; but if a buyer doesn't know any better, would think that they belong in that class along with the Genesis.

gothicaleigh
11-28-08, 12:58 AM
Can you name me a car company that was building really good cars back in 1985?

BMW.

The e30, the e24 "shark" 6, the original M5 made it's debut in '85 (the legendary e30 M3 followed in '86)... the 80's were BMW's golden years.

Lord Cadillac
11-28-08, 11:50 AM
In many cases (probably), but not all. People are switching from top tier midsize AND fullsize vehicles to the Genesis...

The Genesis is a great car, no doubt. However it will be bought by those who were going for a entry level luxury car like a ES350, Avalon, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc, etc.

Sandy
11-28-08, 06:50 PM
Lets see.... My list of Luxury Cars:

Domestic
Cadillac STS & DTS
Lincoln MK-S
Town Car
Chrysler 300 Executive Series

Import
Audi A8
Bentley
Mercedes S-Class
BMW 6 & 7 Series
Volvo S80 Premier Elite
Jaguar XJ & Xk & XF
Rolls Royce
Maserati Quatraporte

But, the funny thing is the spread is oh so large. The DTS & Town Car hold down the bottom and the R.R. & Bentley are like 60 thou more !
THAT spread would be equal to the Volvo S8 Premier Elite -VS- WALKING !:hmm:

orconn
11-28-08, 08:51 PM
Lets see.... My list of Luxury Cars:

Domestic
Cadillac STS & DTS
Lincoln MK-S
Town Car
Chrysler 300 Executive Series

Import
Audi A8
Bentley
Mercedes S-Class
BMW 6 & 7 Series
Volvo S80 Premier Elite
Jaguar XJ & Xk & XF
Rolls Royce
Maserati Quatraporte

But, the funny thing is the spread is oh so large. The DTS & Town Car hold down the bottom and the R.R. & Bentley are like 60 thou more !
THAT spread would be equal to the Volvo S8 Premier Elite -VS- WALKING !:hmm:

Sixty thousand difference in price, I think not! The entry level Bentley may be a little more the a $120,000. but its' siblings are more like $250.K to $450.K a price easily matchedy the Rolls-Royce. Even a tricked out Mercedes S Classs V12 will set you back more than $120,000. And lets face it, a DTS's and Town Cars could be had for far less than MRSP just for the asking.

Destroyer
11-29-08, 12:29 AM
Luckily I already have a woman so I don't need the badge to extend my penis sizeShe buys you Extenze?:alchi:

Cliff8928
11-29-08, 02:58 AM
Out of all of the cars in Cadillac's lineup I would put the XLR at the bottom of the list as the most luxurious. It's a glorified Corvette with an inferior motor with essentially the same options as the Corvette but it costs like $35k more. How that makes sense is beyond me. The only thing that would make it luxurious would maybe be the hard top convertible but when the Pontiac G6 convertible also has that as an option that just makes it that less luxurious.

Agreed! While it is a bit better than the Corvette, the XLR doesn't have a interior that is up to the standard of the STS. The suspension on it is good, but it should be adjustable. Also need I say that maybe for the image it should have more HP.

BMW.

The e30, the e24 "shark" 6, the original M5 made it's debut in '85 (the legendary e30 M3 followed in '86)... the 80's were BMW's golden years.

Volvos of the 80s were also great cars too. The 700 series was just coming out with the nearly indestructible Intercooled Turbo B23FT and B230FT 4-cylinders. Aside from a few years with some bad wiring insulation, or the 6-cylinders I wouldn't hesitate owning another one! Especially a 780 Coupe.

Sandy
11-29-08, 10:46 AM
Sixty thousand difference in price, I think not! The entry level Bentley may be a little more the a $120,000. but its' siblings are more like $250.K to $450.K a price easily matchedy the Rolls-Royce. Even a tricked out Mercedes S Classs V12 will set you back more than $120,000. And lets face it, a DTS's and Town Cars could be had for far less than MRSP just for the asking.

Whatever, my point was to show the huge spread between make/models.
BTW, I left off one, that being the E-Class Mercedes Benz. So sorry.

According to some listing by some insurance company, the Audi A4 & A6 as well as the M-B C-Class and the BMW 3-Series along with other Lincolns and other Cadillacs were NOT catagorized into the "Luxury" Class" - no SUVs were included. Adding the above E-Class Mercedes to the list, would complete the listing, as of 6/'08.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-29-08, 11:34 AM
She buys you Extenze?:alchi:

Cialis FTW. "It'll put you through a wall"