: Front Diff fluid change $$

BDuncan
11-24-08, 02:52 PM
While at the dealer for check engine light, I asked for Front differential and transfer case fluid changes since I was close to when I would do it. The quoated prices seemed a little extreme - not sure of the fluid quantity til I check but I know neither take that much. Price for front Diff was $155 and Transfer case $125. Even with synthetic fluid which I use that's pretty steep for removing a plug to let fliud drain and refilling.
What have others paid for Front Diff fluid change? I know several owners here do regular front diff fluid changes, what are you folks paying??

shore
11-24-08, 08:45 PM
That sounds real high.Buy the fluid and take to someone with a lift.

hcvone
11-25-08, 09:47 AM
I do my own work, it takes about 1/2 an hour to an hour to do both front diff and transfer case with putting the truck on the lift, the rear diff takes about an hour if you remove the back plate since there is no drain on the rear.

flyingdutchman
11-25-08, 10:41 PM
Paid Conte Cadillac in Freeport Long Island front and rear diff parts and labor $255.85 Transfer case $59.95

Cirefly
11-27-08, 12:24 AM
Cost me $22 and took 15 minutes to change front diff. Rear is a bit more involved but still a DIY job. Haven't done the transfer case yet.

What fluid do you guys recommend? I put 100% straight up Lucas stabilizer. It's thick as hell, like honey. Heavy duty stuff.

1class
12-20-08, 08:10 AM
Heading south for the holidays and just completed Fluid change in mine.

Followed the Sticky instructions by Patrick7997 top of this thread they were right on time. :thumbsup: It had a lot of metal in the fluid and on the magnetic plug, like the sticky. The only difficulty I had was leveling the SUV on stands.

Used Lucas 100% synthetic 75W90 for the front Diff, and Mobile 1 synthetic ATF for the Transfer Case.

It seemed like more fluid came out from the Transfer case then what I was able to put back but I topped off both and hope that is going to be fine.

While under the SUV I also greased the 11 front fittings, man they needed it. :)

Not sure what the dealer or the Oil and lube places charge but I enjoy doing as much as I can for myself.

03whiteesv
12-20-08, 11:25 AM
would you mind expanding a little bit on the 11 front fittings that you greases! (what are they?) thanks!!!

1class
12-20-08, 11:46 AM
I meant grease joints, The lade has 11 in the front. if you haven't you need to.

sosatime
04-01-09, 12:39 AM
lucas oil 80w/90w front diff rear diff and transfer case running great each bottle cost 6.49 plus tax and rear diff on 2002 has a drain plug