: Steering wheel volume light

shore
11-23-08, 08:39 PM
Yup, it's out.Very annoying.I read how to replace the switch/light and that seems easy enough.

I have a part number from another thread that comes up a switch on gmpartsdirect but doesn't tell me it is the right one for my 05 Escalade.

I also can't find the switch through their catalog online.

This is the number I have.16867406

shore
11-24-08, 05:26 PM
I got the part ordered be here in a couple days...I need to know how to pop this thing out of the wheel itself.With the airbag out of the way there is no better access to the switch.Am I suppose to pick it out or is there a trick?

$30 for the search/volume switch at dealer.

The Scientist
11-25-08, 01:08 PM
I would imagine that it pops out. Changed them before in other gm vehicles and they popped out. Trick is to figure out how???

shore
11-26-08, 07:18 PM
Just so anyonethat searches for an answer can find it....flatblade screwdriver on the far right side of the switch between the wheel and the switch will pop it out gently.Then give the wires a bit of pulling and you might get enough slack to pop off the connector.The new switch is a breeze to plug in.

digitalcaddie
12-22-08, 12:06 PM
Shore, was it necessary to pull the air bag then? My Mute light is out and I'd like to fix it, but if I need to pull the air bag/make a MAJOR repair, its not worth it to me.

shore
12-22-08, 11:00 PM
If you can get the switchand harness out far enough then NO on the airbag removal.Then again I had to push the wire/harness from inside the wheel a bit to get enough slack.I didn't unplug the harness from the wheel.It is a bit tricky and easy to break.

The airbag is a two second thing.Stick a coat hanger on either side of the wheel in the little holes and push.It's a metal tab.Then unplug the bag and set aside.No need to undo the battery just be careful.It's up to you if you don't want to undo the battery.

Lu Scola
12-23-08, 01:54 AM
So are you relacing the whole button? I am going to just swap buttons with other escalades at our dealership. I jus wish we had a 2006 so I can swap out the console so I can have the heated/cooled cupholders.

ewill3rd
12-23-08, 07:31 AM
I usually use a long pick with a 90 degree bend, slide it in past the switch and gently pull it forward.
You can reach the connector, unhook it, use the pick to hold the harness out so you can plug the new one in.
Then slip it back in. Pulling the bag is easy if you need to, but it won't get you much. To really get slack you have to remove the steering wheel and take the covers off. That is more of a pain but really not that bad.
It can be done without removing anything but the switch though.
I have replaced all of them that way before.

shore
12-23-08, 11:17 AM
I'd like a Platinum center console also.I already put a Platinum grille on my 05.IMO it is the way to go.It fits and looks like it belongs there.

baez8110
09-28-11, 01:50 PM
I have a 99 seville sls.How do you remove the volume switch on the steering wheel.Is it necessary to remove the air bag?I wanna replace it as the light does not illuminate.Thanks