: Creaking noise in Steering Wheel when turning...annoying!

jholder
11-23-08, 05:41 PM
Loving my ESV, but I am getting a creaking noise when I turn the wheel both right or left.

It's almost like its the wiring that runs to the steering wheel buttons are cold and rubbing, but I cant deal w/ that all winter! Little creaks and noises drive me crazy and it's all I notice...ha.

Southern-Hospitality
11-23-08, 06:22 PM
Creaks like roughness? or squeaks like rubber?

If it's creaks then I would saw power steering pump may be shot or clogged or just not flowing right. My parents Lincoln just came back from the shop where they found that the seal off of a bottle of tranny fluid was inside the line, which caused the creaking.

If it's squeaking I'm in the same boat, does it when it's cold, annoys me :(

If you have a trusted mechanic take it in and see if the tranny pump is pumpin'

ewill3rd
11-24-08, 06:43 AM
Get some super lube, get under the dash and point the tube down the steering shaft into the boot.
Give it a good shot of lube and then turn the wheel a few times.
There is a plastic bushing down there inside the silicon boot at the firewall. Sometimes it gets dry and when you turn the wheel it rubs on the silicon making an annoying sound.
When I hear it I give it some super lube and it quiets down for a good long time. Be careful not to get it on the carpet!

jholder
11-24-08, 09:28 PM
GREAT!! Thanks so much! It is like the leather of the steering wheel at the shaft is rubbing against the plastic part of the dash....

So you think just put some lube around that part? MANY thanks....that rubbing/creak noise drives me crazy...I have to keep the radio on. ha.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Povich
11-25-08, 01:57 AM
GREAT!! Thanks so much! It is like the leather of the steering wheel at the shaft is rubbing against the plastic part of the dash....

So you think just put some lube around that part? MANY thanks....that rubbing/creak noise drives me crazy...I have to keep the radio on. ha.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

no no hes talkin where the shaft runs through rubber boot at firewall I believe! Couple weeks ago I did this with mine and stopped the squeaking noise I had completely! If its the same noise this will eliminate it!

ewill3rd
11-25-08, 06:41 AM
Yes it is down underneath, behind the pedals where the I-shaft goes into the engine compartment.
Technically I am not supposed to refer to that as a "firewall" anymore. It is now called a "bulkhead".
Spray the stuff down inside the boot around the shaft.

jholder
11-25-08, 09:12 PM
Got it!!!!!!!!!

Following your lubrication idea, I went to the auto store and they referred me to a lubricant spray with a tiny tube attachment (like on WD40). I put the tube in behind the steering wheel and the ring where it attaches to the plastic ring at the dash. Worked immediately!!

Thanks for the help!

ewill3rd
11-26-08, 06:28 AM
No problem, glad to hear it worked.
I hate that sound, it drives me crazy too!

The Scientist
11-26-08, 02:34 PM
I had the same problem. Same solution worked for me. Except I tried to get some white grease down there too. We shall see how long that lasts.

ewill3rd
11-26-08, 09:29 PM
Super lube works best.
The white lithium doesn't flow into the bushing as well.
I haven't really found a good use for the spray white lithium grease. A can of real "super lube" will last for a long time and it works for everything.