: Really bad front end shimmy - '79 CDV

Benzilla
11-22-08, 11:19 PM
Okay, so Denice has a problem. A really bad front end shimmy. Today I drove it down the street, when you first start out for about the first 50 yards, it just shakes a little. But when I was driving back, it got to the point where it felt like the wheel was going to come off. I already jacked up the front end and checked both front wheels to see if they showed signs of a bad wheel bearing, and they felt fine. Then I looked under it to see if I could find anything obviously broken. Nothing looked odd, but that doesn't mean all that much coming from me..

When you steer, it feels like one of the wheels is loose or something, lots of shaking in the steering wheel.

If you need any more info, just ask. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Ben

My_favorite_Brougham
11-23-08, 12:10 AM
Bad ball joints, perhaps? Have you had a grease job lately? I don't know if that could be the culprit, so I'll let the more experienced folk chime in.
Hope you get her back to normal though.

77CDV
11-23-08, 03:05 PM
One of my 77s did this trick once. Not only the shimmy, but the car would change lanes just for fun. Turned out to be the tie rods. Hope it's that simple, and glad to hear you're still nursing Denise along.

Craig

Benzilla
11-23-08, 03:25 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Do you think it would be okay to drive to the mechanic, or should I get her towed in?

77CDV
11-23-08, 07:48 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Do you think it would be okay to drive to the mechanic, or should I get her towed in?

I'm guessing you're mechanic isn't far, and as long as you drive sensibly and with the car's disability in mind, you should be fine.

Craig

csbuckn
11-23-08, 08:34 PM
I think it could also be a gear box issue, but steering/suspension issues are pretty easy to find. Its alot easier if you have 2 people though. Just have somebody turn the wheel back and forth while your looking under the car and moving things with the crowbar. My friends vehicle is pretty bad and its the pitman arm.

csbuckn
11-23-08, 08:38 PM
sorry about the signature, I'm still working on that

carnut
11-23-08, 09:01 PM
Broken belt within one of the front tires. Jack up the front end and spin the tire by hand. Watch the sidewall and tread .

My_favorite_Brougham
11-23-08, 11:40 PM
Broken belt within one of the front tires. Jack up the front end and spin the tire by hand. Watch the sidewall and tread .

You're right! I had that happen on my '90 Brougham. The front end of the car felt like a washing machine when I'd drive it. I took the driver wheel off, and saw a baseball-sized bulge on the tire. Metal was going everywhere. Replaced the tire, and I was fine.

Benzilla
11-24-08, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Sorry I forgot to mention the mechanic is about four miles away. I had the front up and looked at the tires, the shimmy felt like it was coming more from the driver's side, so I took the front wheel off and put on a spare. Did nothing, but before I take it in I'll try putting it on the pass. side and see what happens.

I hate having a car sitting around that I can't drive. :(

Thanks again!

Ben

deVille33
11-24-08, 09:59 PM
What you describe sounds pretty severe. A worn center link can give you that sense of inaccuracy in your steering. A tie rod will give you a directional sense - either right or left. I have a worn steering box in one of my coupes. Once it is pressurized you'd never know there was a problem.