: Flexplate to Torque converter - loctite??

eldorado1
06-23-04, 08:27 PM
I believe the bolts going into the torque converter (through the flexplate) originally had some red(?) locktite on them. The manual I have doesn't specify to put any on when reassembling it. Also, I believe the red loctite is "99% permanent", so not sure what to use if anything?

cadillacstars
06-23-04, 11:01 PM
used blue loctite on mine. the factory thread locking compound is usually orange (not available from permatex), but blue medium loctite works good.

eldorado1
06-23-04, 11:28 PM
Excellent, thanks for the reply. The bolts are safe to reuse, correct?

eldorado1
06-24-04, 10:07 PM
You know, not TTY or anything? Just standard grade 9.8 bolts?

Aurora By Olds
06-25-04, 01:42 AM
As long as they're not worn or damaged, they're perfectly safe to reuse.

BeelzeBob
06-25-04, 01:58 PM
The torque converter bolts are fine to reuse. You can use red loctite on them if nothing else is available. It isn't "that" permanent.

Besides, in an application like the torque converter bolts, loctite is easy to defeat in future repairs. Simply heating gently with a propane torch will break down the loctite for future disassembly even if it is the permanent type.

eldorado1
06-25-04, 08:18 PM
The torque converter bolts are fine to reuse. You can use red loctite on them if nothing else is available. It isn't "that" permanent.

Besides, in an application like the torque converter bolts, loctite is easy to defeat in future repairs. Simply heating gently with a propane torch will break down the loctite for future disassembly even if it is the permanent type.
That's what the sales rep told me... but when he said torch, I thought he meant you have to CUT the bolt out or something.. Oh well, good to know. Thanks!