: I dodged a bullet...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-08, 11:24 AM
Whew! Close one!

Lately, there has been a lot of talk at the dealership I work about closings of different dealers in our company (The Denny Hecker Automotive Group), there are 16 dealerships in our company. Before last night, we were pretty unsure which ones could close down, but as of late last night we've found out; six have been closed, three have been sold to private investors and the other seven are still open and business for them is going as normal. Thankfully, I work for one of the seven.

Needless to say, this sucks royally for the 400 employees that worked for those six dealers and got laid off. It's especially tough to get a job in the automotive field during this current economic crisis. Well, best of luck to them though.

Here's the news articles:
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S674375.shtml?cat=1
http://wcco.com/business/denny.hecker.dealerships.2.871034.html
http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_11048356?nclick_check=1

93DevilleUSMC
11-22-08, 11:31 AM
Hey, you got extremely lucky, man. If I were you, though, I'd have a back-up plan that involves a job skill outside of auto service.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-08, 11:42 AM
If I were you, though, I'd have a back-up plan that involves a job skill outside of auto service.

Not a bad idea...

93DevilleUSMC
11-22-08, 11:53 AM
Try Criminal Justice. It's a two-year pipeline, and demand for personnel is pretty high right now because of Homeland Security. Have you ever considered being a Corrections or Probation Officer?

blue07cts
11-22-08, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear you still have your job, but maybe as was mentioned a backup plan wouldn't be a bad idea?

93DevilleUSMC
11-22-08, 11:58 AM
Also, since you're a car guy, have you thought about the highway patrol?

orconn
11-22-08, 12:41 PM
With your ability to communicate in writing ....... particularly about automotive subjects, you should really include something in that field as one of your options. If you haven't completed a college degree I would put that option at the head of my "to do" list, as college degrees are a prerequisite for most jobs in the field of writing.

"G$"
11-22-08, 12:54 PM
Hey, you got extremely lucky, man. If I were you, though, I'd have a back-up plan that involves a job skill outside of auto service.

Let's not get too carried away here. If you are good at what you do there will be a demand for you & you know how to market your skills. The same amount of people drive cars. This crisis will pass. The gas prices have slid from 4.20 to 1.90 and now all the people who sold their favorite truck or SUV are kicking themselves. A back up plan is always good but there will always be a need to work on cars.

glad to year that your job didn't dissapear !

hueterm
11-22-08, 01:17 PM
It's $1.54 here......but now all the people who sold, can't get a loan to get their SUV back...

93DevilleUSMC
11-22-08, 03:52 PM
Let's not get too carried away here. If you are good at what you do there will be a demand for you & you know how to market your skills. The same amount of people drive cars. This crisis will pass. The gas prices have slid from 4.20 to 1.90 and now all the people who sold their favorite truck or SUV are kicking themselves. A back up plan is always good but there will always be a need to work on cars.

glad to year that your job didn't dissapear !

I'm not telling him to do anything just yet, but I am telling him to have a ready-to-go back-up plan, like taking some courses and getting a certificate or something. If the backup plan isn't needed, he has more skills in the bag to market. It's a win-win situation.

orconn
11-22-08, 05:08 PM
Another thought as to potential alternatives to your current line of work. There is an real need for bright, articulate young people, who can write, in field of intelligence. The best route into this field when one doesn't have a degree is through one of the branches of the arm services. Each has its' own intelligence specialities, veterans of this kind of experience are highly sought after by the various civilian intelligence services because of the training, previous experience and security clearances they provide. For thiose without a degree the services provide funded ways to complete a degree while serving. The intelligence services such as Inscom (Army), NIS (Navy) and Air Force also offer opportunities for travel and overseas. I believe you can still make specific job training, i.e. specific type of intelligence part of your enlistment agreement.

Following college, back in the Vietnam and Cold War period I served with the ASA (Army Security Agency, no longer in existence) and with NSA (Nat. Sec. Agency) as a way to fulfill draft obligation requirement. Looking back on the experience I have too say it was one of the most enjoyable of my life. So you might want to check out what would be available to you through these channels.

The Tony Show
11-22-08, 05:33 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about The Matrix. Darn.

(j/k Chad- glad to hear you're still gainfully employed :lol: )

77CDV
11-23-08, 04:27 PM
Glad you got a reprieve, Chad. Hope it turns into a full pardon.

And, a college degree, or at least some technical certificates, wouldn't go amiss. You need every advantage you can get out there.

Craig

Jesda
11-23-08, 06:50 PM
Lucky bastard, lol. I think its time for grad school!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-23-08, 11:26 PM
Not a bad idea...

Wal-Mart's doors are always open :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-08, 12:19 AM
Not to me....I don't even shop there! :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-08, 06:15 PM
Well I opened my mouth too soon. I found out today that due to the economic troubles, they've got to lay off two of the four service advisors in my dealer...and I was one of those two..so my last day is Saturday. But I've been offered a job at one of our vendors...one that sells us our fluids, so I'm thankful for that, and I will take them up on it.

I'm not mad really...a little relieved actually...less stress, no BS from customers..it'll be a nice change of pace.

ryannel2003
11-26-08, 06:19 PM
Damn dude I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm glad they offered you another job though. :)

ted tcb
11-26-08, 07:26 PM
Maybe this is for the best.
Chad, if you didn't see yourself behind the service desk in 5 yrs time, then the dealership was just a job, not
a career.
You're in survival mode right now, working to pay the bills like most of us.
I'd keep my eyes open for opportunities that could turn into a career, a field which offers advancement and rewards.

Good luck.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-08, 07:39 PM
This was ok, but it's not something I'd wanna do until I die. It fit me well, but there wasn't a whole *lot* of money in it....I never hated the work, but I never loved it either...I was working around cars, in a dealership, which is something I wanted to do since I was a kid...but now I don't know what I want for a career..I guess I always wanted to be a writer in a car mag or something, but if you get your degree in writing, you're not guaranteed to get a job in the field you want, plus that means I have to go back to school....and there was nothing I hated more than college, atleast where I went for that year and a half. I dread the thought of going back...dread it. It would be the best in the end though...but that means I have to live thriftily and not move out until I'm out of school....****.

orconn
11-26-08, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your job loss, but glad you were offered new employment right away. Your writing skills are superior and if a career in writing is a long term goal for you; then you need to get the prerequisites out of the way. Let's face it a good writer doesn't need a college education to write well. But to get hired and have a shot at advamcement you need a degree. So many of the jobs like automotive writer mean starting in the "mail room" and gradually being given the opportunity to prove yourself as your skills are discovered. Unfortunately, even getting into the "mail room" requires a dgree these days. But believe me, a few years of sacrifice now will pay big dividends in the future,

ejguillot
11-26-08, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the job loss, but you were fortunate to land the next one so quick! Good luck.

jey
11-26-08, 10:15 PM
Find a job that will pay for you to finish your school. Then you can take those classes one/two at a time at your own pace, still have a normal full-time job, maintain your current standard of living, AND get a degree. Probably by the time you finish the auto industry will have turned back around.

dkozloski
11-26-08, 10:15 PM
Well I opened my mouth too soon. I found out today that due to the economic troubles, they've got to lay off two of the four service advisors in my dealer...and I was one of those two..so my last day is Saturday. But I've been offered a job at one of our vendors...one that sells us our fluids, so I'm thankful for that, and I will take them up on it.

I'm not mad really...a little relieved actually...less stress, no BS from customers..it'll be a nice change of pace.
If you don't have a job, you take any damn job you can get no matter how menial. It's easier to look for a job if you don't have to look for scraps of bread at the same time. If you don't like the new job you can always turn it into the one you want by looking around for extra stuff to do. It always worked for me.

blue07cts
11-27-08, 06:03 PM
wow damn sorry to hear about it man, but glad to see you have something else lined up!

minnesotamom
11-27-08, 07:39 PM
Hey, Chad...
Haven't posted in a while, but read about you losing your job and want to offer my encouragement and support.

And about the college thing, my daughter who has her BA from the University of MN, decided that she wanted to go to go back to get her masters. Milwaukee offered the program that she wanted, so she went there to visit, but came back with a shell-shocked look on her face. She absolutely HATED Milwaukee. But after doing some investigative work, found out that she can take most of the classes (and a lot of them are writing classes) online. It's working out great for her, she's managing to work it around the three part time jobs she currently has. Something to think about anyway...

Glad you found something else, hope it works out well for you.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-27-08, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. If nothing else, I could take unemployment for a few months, and take a break from working and relax/clear my head.

gdwriter
11-28-08, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. If nothing else, I could take unemployment for a few months, and take a break from working and relax/clear my head.If you've got a job offer, unless it's an incredibly shitty job, you should take it, at least for now. In this economy, you can't really afford not to.

RightTurn
11-28-08, 12:13 AM
:yeah: If you've got a job offer, take the job.

orconn
11-28-08, 12:27 AM
It's always easier to find a new job when you working, rather than unemployed and looking for a new one. I am afraid gdwriter and RightTurn are right the job market may take sometime to recover; save an unemployemnt check for a time of last resort.

96Fleetwood
11-28-08, 10:18 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I say take the job offer and look for something else while you are at it.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

College is not for everyone. My Brother dropped out after 2 years and seems to be doing well.

I was in school for 8 years and still have a 3 year residency to finish... blah :rolleyes:.. and am thinking of doing a 1 year fellowship.. what is wrong with me!

Jesda
11-28-08, 01:38 PM
Well this is crappy news for sure.

gdwriter
11-28-08, 03:32 PM
College is not for everyone. My Brother dropped out after 2 years and seems to be doing well.

I was in school for 8 years and still have a 3 year residency to finish... blah :rolleyes:.. and am thinking of doing a 1 year fellowship.. what is wrong with me!I agree. At times, I've thought about going back for an MBA; working for a university, I'd get a smokin' deal on tuition. But after 20 years working in business, I'm just not sure how much relevance the curriculum would have to what I do every day in my job. It's not like I'd see a big pay raise in the end considering what I do and who I work for.

I'd rather make money doling out my business experience and wisdom teaching online for the community college.

Elias, it takes somebody with smarts and dedication to go down the path you're one. Good for you for sticking with it and remaining a cool car guy in the process.

hueterm
11-29-08, 10:49 PM
I'm not saying that you have to go to college to have a successful career -- because there are plenty of people who have done so w/o a degree. But a degree will make some positions at least a possibility. A lot of positions absolutely require a Bachelor's degree to even be considered. Maybe it would really make a difference, and maybe it wouldn't -- but w/o it you'll never even be considered.

The online program someone mentioned earlier might be an option. If that job offer from your vendor still stands, I'd be ALL over that in this economy. It's much easier to get a job if you have one -- than if you don't.

Night Wolf
11-29-08, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that :( I agree tho... if you've got a job offer... take it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-30-08, 09:03 PM
Well I've got a bit of an update.

The boss from the company I got "leaded" into called me on Friday and kinda went over the basics of the job with me..basically, I sell their products to the service managers based on their needs, and update the inventories of the dealers, again, based on what they need. I'd have a specific route in the Twin Cities and my own client list. I haven't got an idea on hours yet, but I've been invited to come down with them on Tuesday and ride along to see how it works. Base pay is very similar to what I was making $2000 a month base + commissions.

77CDV
11-30-08, 11:13 PM
Better than a sharp stick in the eye. I say go for it. You can always be on the lookout for another job more to your liking at the same time. And who knows, calling on this company's customers just might lead to the contacts that point you to that better job. The best jobs are never advertised. They go to the people who know the right people.

gdwriter
12-01-08, 12:29 AM
:yeah:

Keep us posted. You have lots of friends here rooting for you.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-04-08, 05:10 PM
Well the ride-along went well yesterday. In a nutshell, what we do is go to the accounts we have and see what sort of fluids they have and what they need. We then deliver the fluids to them as they need them. We also talk with the technicians, service writers and managers about business and new trends in the industry.. But, the part that I'm not so fond if is the cold-calling part where we have to go to various service stations, repair shops and dealers and talk to the managers and convince them to buy our stuff....it's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get it down soon enough.

I have an interview for the job at 12:30 on Monday 12/8. Wish me luck!

dkozloski
12-04-08, 05:22 PM
Well the ride-along went well yesterday. In a nutshell, what we do is go to the accounts we have and see what sort of fluids they have and what they need. We then deliver the fluids to them as they need them. We also talk with the technicians, service writers and managers about business and new trends in the industry.. But, the part that I'm not so fond if is the cold-calling part where we have to go to various service stations, repair shops and dealers and talk to the managers and convince them to buy our stuff....it's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get it down soon enough.

I have an interview for the job at 12:30 on Monday 12/8. Wish me luck!
It takes a special kind of person to handle being ignored, getting the bum's rush, and having the phone slammed in your ear. It sounds no worse than any other sales job.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-04-08, 05:42 PM
It sounds better than my old job because I don't have to deal with the public anymore....

The company I'll be interviewing for is called JLS Distributing. They distribute B&G Products throughout the lower 1/3 of Minnesota, so there's a chance I might be doing a lot of driving...but I don't care, I like driving and I get good mileage.

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

blue07cts
12-04-08, 06:08 PM
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ that job would kick ASS!

77CDV
12-05-08, 12:07 AM
Best of luck on the interview, Chad. Hope everything works out!

Craig

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-08, 05:35 PM
Well my interview went very well. I got hired...I start next Monday. I would have started tomorrow, but I've gotta fly out to Tucson, Arizona on Thursday for my grandpa's funeral, but I'll be back Sunday night. They're gonna start me off with some accounts that need some more attention from us, and they'll give me a route to do and my own van and cell phone for work. I'm very much looking forward to this....especially the long drives I'll have to do (our territory is the lower 1/3 of Minnesota...from the Twin Cities on south to Iowa, and from Wisconsin to South Dakota. It's a forty hour work week....8-4, Monday-Friday (NO MORE WORKING SATURDAYS!!! And no more 10 hour days!!).

I'm pretty pumped!! :D :D

And if you're wondering, the van is more than likely an Astro passenger van.

ryannel2003
12-08-08, 05:41 PM
Man that sounds great! Congrats on the job :)

ted tcb
12-08-08, 07:21 PM
Good news, Chad.
I bet we'll be reading some interesting winter road trip stories this coming winter.
The lower third of Minnesota must have plenty of whiteouts and black ice .... be careful out there!

gdwriter
12-08-08, 07:26 PM
Congratulations on the job and condolences on your grandpa. Let us know how it's going.

Night Wolf
12-08-08, 08:05 PM
Neat-o.... the idea of a job that requires alot of driving is really cool to me.... seems like something I'd enjoy.

Convincing people to buy your product.... I don't know exactly what service writers do, but wasn't that similar? convincing people that bring their cars in for service to add or buy stuff they really don't need, for more profit?

RightTurn
12-08-08, 10:25 PM
Chad--sorry to hear of your grandpa's death. :( Congrats on the new job.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-08, 11:33 PM
Convincing people to buy your product.... I don't know exactly what service writers do, but wasn't that similar? convincing people that bring their cars in for service to add or buy stuff they really don't need, for more profit?

Yeah, except now I'm out looking to make the sales, not having the sale come to me. But on the plus side, I no longer have to deal with the public, nor answering phone calls all day and sitting in an office..

77CDV
12-08-08, 11:43 PM
Congrats on your new job, Chad, and best of luck! My sympathies on the loss of your grandfather. Safe travels to Tucson. Under better circumstances, I'd say see you there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-08, 11:47 PM
Yeah, thanks. Too bad I won't have more time down there, I'd like to get to meet some of the southwest folks.

MauiV
12-10-08, 06:25 PM
Chad, I meant to post this before but forgot. The airplane in the Christmas thread reminded me of it.

The FAA is fast becoming understaffed in the controller ranks. Used to be you needed military or a specific air-traffic degree from a handful of schools to be hired. Well the staffing issue is looming so large that now they are making hires off the street, we got our first one this week. It requires attending the Academy in OKC for a period of time for school and then sent to a facility for actual on the job training where pay starts around $33k. Pay goes up from there and with W and his regime on the way out a return to the former pay-scale is looking like a possibility. Smaller facility guys make in the $50s and a busy place with differentials can make in the $200k range.

There are drawbacks. I work in a facility which is staffed 24-7-365. Our busiest time is night so we work mid-shifts. I also have to miss out on the biggest event in the state because it is alos my busiest time at work and leave is blacked out.

Retirement is after 25 years at any age and at 51 with 20 years of service. MANDATORY retirement age is 56 because this is very much a young mans game. You must not have reached your 31st b-day so they can get 20 years from you.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp?q=&jbf522=&fn=4651&salmin=&salmax=&FedEmp=N&tm=&sort=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&jbf574=TD03&ss=0&FedPub=Y&caller=%2Fa9TD03.asp&SUBMIT1.x=99&SUBMIT1.y=10

Let me know if you have any questions.

Night Wolf
12-11-08, 07:55 PM
Chad, I meant to post this before but forgot. The airplane in the Christmas thread reminded me of it.

The FAA is fast becoming understaffed in the controller ranks. Used to be you needed military or a specific air-traffic degree from a handful of schools to be hired. Well the staffing issue is looming so large that now they are making hires off the street, we got our first one this week. It requires attending the Academy in OKC for a period of time for school and then sent to a facility for actual on the job training where pay starts around $33k. Pay goes up from there and with W and his regime on the way out a return to the former pay-scale is looking like a possibility. Smaller facility guys make in the $50s and a busy place with differentials can make in the $200k range.

There are drawbacks. I work in a facility which is staffed 24-7-365. Our busiest time is night so we work mid-shifts. I also have to miss out on the biggest event in the state because it is alos my busiest time at work and leave is blacked out.

Retirement is after 25 years at any age and at 51 with 20 years of service. MANDATORY retirement age is 56 because this is very much a young mans game. You must not have reached your 31st b-day so they can get 20 years from you.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp?q=&jbf522=&fn=4651&salmin=&salmax=&FedEmp=N&tm=&sort=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&jbf574=TD03&ss=0&FedPub=Y&caller=%2Fa9TD03.asp&SUBMIT1.x=99&SUBMIT1.y=10

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aircraft maintenance can be trickey/stressful/issues of it's own... but man.... ATC... I don't know if I'd go anywhere near that stuff, if that is what you do, then kudos to you... definitly gotta be on top of your game 100% with no room for error..... or much time to go back and fix an error if you make one...

dkozloski
12-11-08, 08:53 PM
Aircraft maintenance can be trickey/stressful/issues of it's own... but man.... ATC... I don't know if I'd go anywhere near that stuff, if that is what you do, then kudos to you... definitly gotta be on top of your game 100% with no room for error..... or much time to go back and fix an error if you make one...
ATC errors are just like doctor's errors, they get buried in the ground.

MauiV
12-12-08, 01:27 AM

I started ATC when I was 18. Other than a 4 year stint on the railroad it is the only real job I have had so as far as "stress" I dont really have much of a point of reference to compare it to.

I enjoy my job and there are times that the busier it gets the more focused you get and you do end up in the proverbial "zone". I do know people that get the rush from it but I have no doubt it more than likely does take years off your life if you let it. I LOVE the fact that there is nothing I can take home from my job. I walk out of the door and its over. I try very hard to leave the "stresses" of the job in the building too.

It is a great career but not for everyone. It seems to attract a certain kind of person. Every controller I have ever met is VERY type-A and thinks they are the best controller in the building. I read an article written by a retiring controller that was hired right after the strike. She talked about her interview and that at the end she took 2 loose pencils off on the interviewers desk and lined them up parallel to the edge of the desk, then walked out. After 25 years as a controller she said that the psych-eval wasnt used necessarily to weed out psychos, they are just looking for a specific type.

dkozloski
12-12-08, 03:06 PM
I started ATC when I was 18. Other than a 4 year stint on the railroad it is the only real job I have had so as far as "stress" I dont really have much of a point of reference to compare it to.

I enjoy my job and there are times that the busier it gets the more focused you get and you do end up in the proverbial "zone". I do know people that get the rush from it but I have no doubt it more than likely does take years off your life if you let it. I LOVE the fact that there is nothing I can take home from my job. I walk out of the door and its over. I try very hard to leave the "stresses" of the job in the building too.

It is a great career but not for everyone. It seems to attract a certain kind of person. Every controller I have ever met is VERY type-A and thinks they are the best controller in the building. I read an article written by a retiring controller that was hired right after the strike. She talked about her interview and that at the end she took 2 loose pencils off on the interviewers desk and lined them up parallel to the edge of the desk, then walked out. After 25 years as a controller she said that the psych-eval wasnt used necessarily to weed out psychos, they are just looking for a specific type.
When I enlisted in the Navy there was a guy in my boot camp company that had signed up for a career as an air traffic controller. Very quickly it became apparent that the company commander had been instructed to run him through the wringer to see how he could handle pressure. The guy was having a tough time and was feeling very unhappy with his lot in life. I got him off to the side and described to him the situation as I saw it and told him it was all just a goddam game and don't get all upset about it. They were putting the screws to him to see how he was going to react so he needed to concentrate on getting the job done and forget the harrassment. It was all going to stop soon enough and it wasn't going to kill him. My little talk worked. He sucked it up, got down to business, and recognized what it was all about. One tactic they used on him was to make him pull down his pants and his underwear out on the parade ground in front of a hundred men so they could inspect for hashmarks in his boxers. He was close to tears on that one.

MauiV
12-12-08, 05:38 PM
The FAA Academy was onceknown as "The Screen". More than actually teaching you the material it was used to weed out those that they thought didnt belong. My uncle went through it in 1980 and a F-4 pilot was in his class and washed out. Many classes had nearly a 70% washout rate.

Now we have a kinder-gentler Agency and the kiddie gloves are used lest anyone get their feelings hurt.

hueterm
12-13-08, 12:53 PM
The FAA Academy was onceknown as "The Screen". More than actually teaching you the material it was used to weed out those that they thought didnt belong. My uncle went through it in 1980 and a F-4 pilot was in his class and washed out. Many classes had nearly a 70% washout rate.

Now we have a kinder-gentler Agency and the kiddie gloves are used lest anyone get their feelings hurt.

Oh, that makes me feel safe.....

:rolleyes:

96Fleetwood
12-14-08, 12:07 PM
Congrats! Best of luck to you Chad, sounds like a cool job :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-08, 09:46 PM
Thanks, I'm excited to start tomorrow. And when I get time, I'll post the pics from Arizona in a separate thread.