: hole in aluminum Radiator - help wanted

92deville-loveit
06-23-04, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I just bought a wrecked black 4 door 96 STS with light tan interior which hit a deer. I almost have it driveable. (not fixed but driveable without a/c) (I think.) If I can't get it running I will part it out quickly as I am 2500 miles form home and half heartedly trying to get there ... but if I get there with a "fixed" STS Mama will love me especially since I now have her 92 deville fixed and running like a champ ... see broke down in Coffee Springs 4.9L motor in which the water jacket around the cylinders filled up with GM cooling tabs and residue and took out 4 water pumps and 2 belts too ... my guess too much resistance to water flow ... just a my guess ... the resident engineer says I used cheap non-GM pumps ... He is right about that they were not OEM. But the new head gaskets and head bolt helicoils (UGH) seem to have solved this overheating problem I fought for 100,000 miles. I have driven it almost 2000 since the repair and now even the TPA seems finally to be working again. That TPS has been a pain ... probably because I cleanded the whole trottle body assembly with carb cleaner without removing the TPS which had been perfect. It is working so well that i am ready to reinstall the ICS motor which was giving me fits because of the TPS.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL? I want one ... for an affordable price. (I am only paying $400 for the car so I don' want to invest a fortune in a manual.)

The top, sides and back are perfect. The radiator core support wrapped itself around the engine and I think I have it back to "functional".

Alas hood, grill, lights, a/c condensor, windshield, air bags, wood trim on dash, ambiaent air temp sensor were wasted. I hope that air sensor doesn't bite me in the butt. This is a very low dollar project as that matches my budget.

Now in pulling out the radiator core support I put a tiny hole in the radiator ... I was sick as I could be driving it right now.

Please Help ... What is the bst way to fix this very small hole ... 1 inch down from the top of the core and near the middle between the fans?

Can the broken up radiator fans be fixed with ABS cement?

Any suggestions for the dash and airbags? Oh yes the air bags broke the windshield )-; I got the air bags removed and was going to remove the last piece of shattered wood trim next to the sterring wheel but I couldn't figure out how to get it off even though it was loose and I could move it ... with difficulty.

Also is the dash top repairable? IT ripped loose at the clips that held it in place. I got the big bulge out of the passenger side where the airbag exploded but it looks like it will be hard to make lie down flat again. IF not repairable ... how do you change it? That looks like just as nasty a job s fixing the current one.

Will the engine cool properly without a hood? I worry about how the hood might direct the airflow around the engine.

Does anyone have any extra parts or airbags?

Any help apreciated. PLease send a copy of your reply to my mailbox ibmpro@ez2.net or ibmpro@yahoo.com

Thanks
Bob McKNight
29856 Avenida de Fiesta
Sun City, Calif (heading home but currently in Louisville, KY as I write this.)

eldorado1
06-23-04, 08:36 PM
Good grief... sounds like you have a project. :bighead:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL? I want one ... for an affordable price. (I am only paying $400 for the car so I don' want to invest a fortune in a manual.)
You can get them on ebay for ~$50.

Please Help ... What is the bst way to fix this very small hole ... 1 inch down from the top of the core and near the middle between the fans?
Weld/solder it. Or take it to a radiator repair shop to have it welded/soldered. I don't recall if you can solder aluminum, so it might have to be welded.

Can the broken up radiator fans be fixed with ABS cement?
NO. More than likely they won't survive being turned on at (2-4000?)rpm. That is, unless there's just a small crack in one of the fins or something. But still... Think shrapnel.

Will the engine cool properly without a hood? I worry about how the hood might direct the airflow around the engine.
It should. It might even cool better.

Does anyone have any extra parts or airbags?
Ebay or car-part.com

Good luck, can't answer the rest! :bonkers:

zonie77
06-24-04, 01:14 PM
DO NOT REPAIR THE FAN BLADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though these are not as heavy as the old steel blades they are extremely dangerous if they fly off.