: hyundai genesis with a 8 speed tranny

eyekandyboats.inc
11-20-08, 11:05 PM
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/11/07/hyundai-to-offer-8-speed-automatic-in-genesis/

gary88
11-20-08, 11:25 PM
Lexus did it first.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-20-08, 11:55 PM
Semi trucks have 16+ gears.

Vesicant
11-21-08, 12:15 AM
My bicycle has 24

Florian
11-21-08, 12:16 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzz

F

tman2093
11-21-08, 06:02 AM
8 gears is dumb. The time lost for shifting so many times hurts performance numbers. You're 0-60 in a 4-5 speed has the 1-2 shift around 35-40mph, and can hit 60 in 2nd gear, 6 and up run the chance of having the 2-3 below 60mph, adding a few tenths to the time.

Hunting for gears while maintaining speed on a hilly road could be trying. WHAAAA up the hills and hardcore braking going down them because the transmission isnt doing a thing to slow the car.

5 gears is ideal. 4 well spaced gears and an overdrive. The northstar tranny could use a fifth gear. 2500 rpms cruising down the interstate is unnecessary. add a gear and get it down to 1500-1800. I'm sure the engineers had their reasons, mabe not enough tourque that low, i don't know

CIWS
11-21-08, 07:56 AM
5 gears is ideal. 4 well spaced gears and an overdrive. The northstar tranny could use a fifth gear. 2500 rpms cruising down the interstate is unnecessary. add a gear and get it down to 1500-1800. I'm sure the engineers had their reasons, mabe not enough tourque that low, i don't know

My Northstar is coupled with a transmission that has 6, and it could use a 7th for the highway.

Jesda
11-21-08, 07:57 AM
Simpsons did it.

Blackout
11-21-08, 09:27 AM
8 gears is dumb. The time lost for shifting so many times hurts performance numbers. You're 0-60 in a 4-5 speed has the 1-2 shift around 35-40mph, and can hit 60 in 2nd gear, 6 and up run the chance of having the 2-3 below 60mph, adding a few tenths to the time.

Hunting for gears while maintaining speed on a hilly road could be trying. WHAAAA up the hills and hardcore braking going down them because the transmission isnt doing a thing to slow the car.

5 gears is ideal. 4 well spaced gears and an overdrive. The northstar tranny could use a fifth gear. 2500 rpms cruising down the interstate is unnecessary. add a gear and get it down to 1500-1800. I'm sure the engineers had their reasons, mabe not enough tourque that low, i don't knowMain reason for having an 8 speed is for better fuel mileage. It's not for a "performance" sedan. The last 2-3 gears will be OD's which in turn will net the car better gas mileage.

tman2093
11-21-08, 09:35 AM
CIWS: I forgot they mated the northstar to the 6 speed in recent years.

Blackout: Well that actually makes logical sense. It felt like initially the companies were throwing around these high numbered transmissons trying to say they're better just because their transmission has more gears.

The Tony Show
11-21-08, 09:51 AM
Coming soon: 160hp Miata gets 14 speed tranny.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-21-08, 09:54 AM
Coming soon: 160hp Miata gets 14 speed tranny.

And it gets a whopping 74.6 mpg on the highway!

Lord Cadillac
11-21-08, 11:56 AM
Like Blackout already mentioned, the extra gears are not for performance - they're for fuel savings. There's nothing wrong with having an 8-Speed transmission. The people here who joke about it are just like the people at GM who joke about it - who are usually the last F'ing idiots running around like chickens without heads trying to put it together because they're last one to the party. It's the "standards of the world" who innovate with things like an 8-speed transmission in a luxury sedan.

Blackout
11-21-08, 12:04 PM
Blackout: Well that actually makes logical sense. It felt like initially the companies were throwing around these high numbered transmissons trying to say they're better just because their transmission has more gears.Many people view it just as that but with the new CAFE standards coming up in the not to distant future, automotive companies have to find any and all ways to get their cars to get as good of gas mileage as they can. I really wish we had diesel hybrids over here in the USA because that would make people say "Prius what?"

Cadillacboy
11-21-08, 02:11 PM
I don't care even if it gets 24 tranny

gothicaleigh
11-21-08, 04:57 PM
My mountain bike is a 21 speed.

MauiV
11-21-08, 07:21 PM
I like the looks of this car EXCEPT for the grill. It just looks so generic and almost like they are embarrassed to put the Hyundai badge on the car.

I agree that the extra ODs are for CAFE. I read in an article years ago where the GM driver was shifting 2nd to 5th in a Corvette so that the whole Chevy line would pass its requirements.

LS1Mike
11-21-08, 11:13 PM
Seriously 8 gears is a great idea. Now don't flame but stop by your local tansmission place or the Hyundai dealer and see how many are there with the transmissions out.
I remeber when my wife had her Jetta, the dealersip also sold Hyundai, I remeber talking to the guy who was fixing our Jetta for the like the 10th time saying. I am tired of working here, if I have to pull another Hyundai tranny I am going to quit" He went into a diseratation about it. The jist was that the Hyundai transmissions made them a bunch of cash. That was only 2 years ago.
I am not sure if they mastered the easier ones yet an 8 speed made by them would scare the carp out of me.

Blackout
11-22-08, 09:49 AM
Seriously 8 gears is a great idea. Now don't flame but stop by your local tansmission place or the Hyundai dealer and see how many are there with the transmissions out.
I remeber when my wife had her Jetta, the dealersip also sold Hyundai, I remeber talking to the guy who was fixing our Jetta for the like the 10th time saying. I am tired of working here, if I have to pull another Hyundai tranny I am going to quit" He went into a diseratation about it. The jist was that the Hyundai transmissions made them a bunch of cash. That was only 2 years ago.
I am not sure if they mastered the easier ones yet an 8 speed made by them would scare the carp out of me.
So your basing this off of one guy who worked at a dealership? It never crossed your mind that he has the same type of thinking as The Tony Show or Sandy in that if it ain't american it's junk? Maybe the guy just got bitched out by his boss and now he's in a bad mood so of course he will say whatever. I've known a few people with Hyundai's and none of them have had transmission problems. Hell my mom's aunt had a 1989 Hyundai Excel and only had to replace the transmission once and she had it until she died in 2003. My buddies mom had a 1st gen Accent and we beat the tar out of that thing and the worst repair on it was replacing the axles

Lord Cadillac
11-22-08, 10:34 AM
I haven't heard anything about mass Hyundai transmission problems either. :rolleyes:

Cliff8928
11-22-08, 02:15 PM
Lexus did it first.

But Hyundai will do it for less..

My Northstar is coupled with a transmission that has 6, and it could use a 7th for the highway.

Agreed! especially with the torque the V has. The 5-speed in the XLR is no treat either.

I agree that the extra ODs are for CAFE. I read in an article years ago where the GM driver was shifting 2nd to 5th in a Corvette so that the whole Chevy line would pass its requirements.

It's called Computer Aided Gear Selection (C.A.G.S.) It basically makes the driver shift from 1st to 4th under certain conditions. I *never* had this happen in the '06 GTO, I guess I don't drive that way ;)

MauiV
11-22-08, 08:25 PM
My V is CAGS equipped and I can count the times on one hand that I have had it try to get me to go to 4th. I normally shift at a higher RPM than the CAGS engages in. The article I read was well before CAGS and was driver decission so that the whole Chevy lineup would meet government regulations.

LS1Mike
11-22-08, 08:49 PM
So your basing this off of one guy who worked at a dealership? It never crossed your mind that he has the same type of thinking as The Tony Show or Sandy in that if it ain't american it's junk? Maybe the guy just got bitched out by his boss and now he's in a bad mood so of course he will say whatever. I've known a few people with Hyundai's and none of them have had transmission problems. Hell my mom's aunt had a 1989 Hyundai Excel and only had to replace the transmission once and she had it until she died in 2003. My buddies mom had a 1st gen Accent and we beat the tar out of that thing and the worst repair on it was replacing the axles
Read into stuff much do we. , but to answer question.
Nope, how about the neighbors Two Hyundais an Accent and a Sanota, both had them fail, and I recommended the Accent to her as good car in her price range, that is why she bought it, check out craigslist sometime and look at the amout that are being sold due to failed transmissions or the amount of time I spent sitting in the VW dealership talking to owners who had failed transmissions, but the best one I can give you is my good friend Ellis who has worked as a Transmission guy for the last 18 years at very good local shop. He builds all mine and just about everyones I race with including some 9 Sec 4L60E cars which is no easy task. He will tell you flat out what ones suck. In addition to Hyundai he will tell you to upgrade your GM 4L60E or 4T65E on day one and I agree, he did my truck and Grand Prix only weeks after I got them so I could have piece of mind.
Do some research I am sure you will be suprised. I was because until I really dug I never knew they were a problem because you never hear about. I did after the neighbors went out, I felt bad because I recommended it.
Only upside is she has the 100,000 mile warranty.
So is that enough for you or do I have to go out and buy one and have it fail on me?
Your right I hate imports, but I don't discourage folks form getting them if that is what they wan't Like I said the neighbors has at least one Hyundai because of me. I WOULD NOT PERSONALLY DRIVE ONE.
Not to mention the guy who fixed my Jetta has worked at that VW dealership for 17 years, he is a very good mechanic, and very honest. He was the only guy I let work on the Jetta.