: Which Battery for 95 FWB ?

Old Fleetwood
11-20-08, 11:26 PM
Now that the temperature dropped to 20 degrees F here in Connecticut, my 1995 FWB still starts okay, but now it gives out with a bit of a grunt with that first turn of the starter in the morning.
To me that indicates the DieHard battery that came with the car when I got it out of Texas in 2006 is about to say Sayonara, despite the solar charger I have on the back deck plugged into the left rear door to at least try to compensate for the parasitic losses when the car isn't running.
The DieHard Platinum and the Optima Red top at AutoZone are pretty close in price with the Optima carrying a 7 year guarantee.
Cold Cranking Amps are also nearly identical.
Opinions, gentlemen? And ladies?

96Fleetwood
11-20-08, 11:48 PM
I have had no problems with the Duralast Gold I put in the '96 last year.

I have a Optima yellow top in my Tahoe and it does the job too.

I give both a :thumbsup:

Aron9000
11-21-08, 03:33 AM
Don't buy an Autozone special. I had one in my old Camaro Z28, it was dead after two years.

96Fleetwood
11-21-08, 08:00 AM
Don't buy an Autozone special. I had one in my old Camaro Z28, it was dead after two years.

If you keep the receipt they will replace it free for up to 4 years.

Cadillacboy
11-21-08, 01:34 PM
I use Varta so far so good

Cadillac Giovanni
11-21-08, 04:17 PM
I got a DuraLast Gold, also. It's been very powerful for cold starts, and I like to run thick motor oil, with a little LucasOil stabilizer, which gets even thicker come winter in New England.

Old Fleetwood
11-21-08, 10:52 PM
With CHANGE being the constant, and manufacturers playing musical chairs, my experience has been:
Varta: 1960 Mercedes 220Sb Bought in 1964. Original Varta battery died in 1974!
Unknown:1976 AMC PacerX (258-6/4Speed)- Bought new, 06/76. Battery crapped out 1 week after warranty on battery expired!:banghead:
Mopar: 1979 Cordoba - Damn if I can remember !:cookoo:
Mopar: (Globe-Union?) still going strong when 1999 Stratus (bought 11/98) was sold 05/06.
Note - Chrysler "Cab Forward" vehicles carry their batteries IN THE FENDER, behind the wheel well, out of the engine compartment, away from engine heat. A beyotch to get to, but it saves the battery from heat extremes.
Boat: I babied my boat batteries, keeping them on trickle charge over the winter when the boat was in winter storage, using only distilled water to fill, etc., and usually kept them (2, group 27) for about 7 years, but beating the crap out of them, deep cycling when in use.
All were Marine DieHards.
So, I'm listening, very carefully, to all comments and experiences you guys have had.