: The Problem With Bailouts

Lord Cadillac
11-20-08, 05:24 PM
I posted this in another discussion but I believe it needs to stand out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyAd_rJAx4

"G$"
11-20-08, 06:23 PM
The paper companies in Maine don't get bailouts from the government when they are going under. They are forced to compete with Asia too. The manufacturing companies in Ohio and New England Etc. don't get bailouts when they can't compete with foreign markets and cheap labor.

What the government should do is give tax rebates for buying american cars at the most but absolutely not "bail out" these car companies with a cash infusion who have been extremely smug, have run the well dry, and failed to adapt. Let them go bankrupt. I care but not enough to bail out losers because that sets a precedent that it is OK to mismanage and be inept. It's like crashing your car whilte drunk driving and your daddy bailing you out and buying you a new one.

What the government should do is give incentives to companies who manufacture their goods 100% in the US and give incentives to companies who buy American and TAX foreign imports. Other countries do it to us, we should tax foreign imports and that's how we can compete with companies/countries who use cheap labor. Give incentives for people to keep their money in the USA.

The big 3 need to have consequences for their actions just like these financial crooks. They made mistakes and were mismanaged, deal with the consequences. When people commit felonies they don't get a get out of jail free card. In life there are consequences... Stop begging the government for cash and start dealing with your own mess.

"G$"
11-20-08, 06:24 PM
SAL: Are you going to give your opinion? You can't just post that & then run out of the thread!!?? what do you think?

Lord Cadillac
11-20-08, 10:19 PM
I don't agree with ANY of the bail outs. I agree with all your points and ideas...

c5 rv
11-20-08, 10:31 PM
FYI, Joe Knollenberg (R) was defeated in this fall's election by Gary Peters, the former director of the Michigan Lottery. Mr. Peters has stated that he also supports a bailout.

Night Wolf
11-21-08, 07:47 PM
The $25,000,000,000 is just a "hold over" for the "time being" meaning there will be more in the future too.

IIRC, Ford and GM said they are not going to change any of the ways they do business, they just want the money. Chrysler said they'll do what it takes.