: If the V went away, what would you get?

pmsteinm
11-19-08, 04:39 PM
Since I'm such a pessimist, I often agree that "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Since the new V sounds like the best sedan ever built (and better than many exotic sports cars), I'm sure something will mess it up. It might be GM Chapter 7 or 11, Environmentalist Nuts & CAFE regulations, Obama's Change, etc, I'm wondering what would I get instead? Here are some depressing options:

BMW M5: Costs 90k, and I would argue is not quite as good as the new V (I'm sure the new M5 will be better, but it will cost more, and isn't out yet...and who knows it it ever will be)

BMW 550i: I optioned one out, and it came to 72k :eek:. I figured a new V w/no discounts would come to about 72k including all taxes (the BMW price does not). And while a 550 is nicer than my current V, it's also slower. If you can pay 72k...you can probably find a way to pay 90 and get an M5...after all, the price difference is only that of an econo-box:)

Mercedes AMG: all cost more than the BMW.

Audi: The ones I like cost way more than the BMW.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get all doom and gloom. What would you guys get to replace you current V if the new V goes away?

readyact
11-19-08, 05:24 PM
Great question. I actually had a deposit down on a Lexus IS F and then when it was announced that the 09 CTS-V will have the automatic option I got my deposit back and went straight to a local Caddy dealership where they started a waiting list and I am #1 on the list. I'm glad I didn't get the IS F as I would have been pissed once the new V comes out. If the 09 V never comes to be I'm also looking at the C63 AMG, but more than likely I will wait for the next "great" sports sedan.

Caddyscat
11-19-08, 07:06 PM
Jaguar XF

Bimmer and Merc interiors are garbage! same molded plastic as the V. most people who buy them only get them to impress the neighbors. plus I-Drive is a load of horsesh1t.

Karaya Eins
11-19-08, 08:28 PM
If it does not come out, I will be heart broken. I have not changed my clothes or washed my hands since I was in Monticello. They came in contact with deity. If the CTS-V does not come out. I will walk for the rest of my life.

RightTurn
11-19-08, 08:47 PM
^^ :rofl:

JEM
11-20-08, 01:44 AM
I dunno...part of me wants a new V, part of me wants a year-old Merc E63 wagon, part of me just wants to stick the money under the mattress.

Merc C-class does nothing for me, and if I'm buying a Merc I'm buying a wagon.

Jag XF too sterile, windows are Toyota-small (though it's not quite at the Merc CLS level of silliness.) I like to see out of my cars; if I want something with little tiny windows I'll buy a log cabin.

E60 M5 has never quite done it for me; the E90 M3 sedan is gorgeous but I haven't driven one yet.

caddynoob
11-20-08, 04:55 AM
Without a doubt it will be the AMG C63 with performance package. The back seats is not going to be very usable, but they will do for short trips around town.

Somefun
11-20-08, 05:24 AM
For me it's between and still is the V and an M3. Two totally different cars but both real nice...For some reason the 557HP is calling me like a deer in the head lights...
I have an M3 now and I’m just looking for a change…

Chris74
11-20-08, 09:36 AM
For me it's between and still is the V and an M3. Two totally different cars but both real nice...For some reason the 557HP is calling me like a deer in the head lights...
I have an M3 now and I’m just looking for a change…

I agree...the 4 door M3 is not a bad 2nd option. Seriously though, the CTS-V will absolutely come out this year. Yes, it's a personal opinion and a pretty solid educated guess. 2nd year, different story. They NEED to get the revenue out of the CTS-V from all the R&D. If they dropped the car days before production, it would really show they should be filing Chap 11. My $.02

Big concern in my mind is what happens on warranty items later on. Limited dealerships and parts.

mgscustomtune
11-20-08, 09:44 AM
2010 Camaro SS

Torxila
11-20-08, 02:03 PM
One year old E63AMG

jvp
11-20-08, 02:07 PM
I'd just keep my '07 Z06. Completely different type of car, yes. But it suits my needs.

jas

bruff1977
11-20-08, 05:05 PM
I just priced a 09 M3 Sedan on the BMW website. Fully loaded with manual (just read about the trans recall) was low $70s. Couldn't find any 08s in my area(0.9% financing through 12/31)...

CSX
11-22-08, 05:50 PM
The only other car out right now that I'd really consider besides the V is the Audi S5. Visually, it's stunning...the sleekest, best looking car Audi has right now, as far as I'm concerned (the R8 comes in at a close second). However, it's expensive, and is very underpowered when compared to the V (starts around $50k, with a 354-hp 4.2L V8, if I recall correctly. If/when the RS5 comes out, depending on price and performance, it would be the only car that would have a legitimate shot at competing for my dollars. However, I don't expect it to outperform the V, and I'm guessing it will also sell in the $90k+ range.

darjae
11-22-08, 10:28 PM
I've thought about this often in the past month as I wondered if I was actually ever going to really get it (TPW: 11/24/08). Not sure of the ultimate answer....With the wife and 3 kids, I could squeeze them into a V. The M5 would be a tighter fit (and 25K more, and slower, today)..... I'm driving a 05 GTO now (which is no family car, to be sure)..... I would lean to the M5, but it's hard pill to swallow knowing what the V could have been (assuming it went away or GM bankruptcy...)

caddynoob
11-23-08, 07:11 PM
I've thought about this often in the past month as I wondered if I was actually ever going to really get it (TPW: 11/24/08). Not sure of the ultimate answer....With the wife and 3 kids, I could squeeze them into a V. The M5 would be a tighter fit (and 25K more, and slower, today)..... I'm driving a 05 GTO now (which is no family car, to be sure)..... I would lean to the M5, but it's hard pill to swallow knowing what the V could have been (assuming it went away or GM bankruptcy...)

You got nothing to worry about man. If you look at what happened to MG at the UK. It is safe to assume that those V that had been produced will be sold, and likely to be at a significant discount.

V-Love
11-25-08, 05:26 PM
I'm walkin' too.
Down payment on forclosed house.