: Ignition key wont lock tailgate and and storage

whosurpopi
11-19-08, 12:14 PM
Last week I purchased an 04 ext with 36k miles from a used car dealer. While looking at the car, I noticed the key was flat, and I asked the manager "isnt this supposed to have the chip key"? And he said no. They only had one key for the truck and one fob. I went to lowes and had two more keys made that do start the truck and open the doors, but they dont lock the back. I went to cadillac, and they made a key from the vin, and that didnt open anything and wasnt even close to the key I had that does work. The part guy thinks the locks all had to be changed, buy why wouldnt they put matching locks on the back. Any body have any Idea how to get a key that will open and lock the back compartments?

luxurylife33
11-19-08, 12:50 PM
The key you have is a valet key. You need to go to the Cadillac dealer .... they should be able to make you a legit original copy.

EDIT: try going to a diffrent caddy dealer, i doubt the locks were changed. It has to be a valet key because the valet works on the door and ignition only.

g9s8r
11-19-08, 02:08 PM
Does the key that was worn down actually open the storage and tailgate??

whosurpopi
11-19-08, 02:48 PM
I dont know what you mean by "worn down" but nothing locks the tailgate and storage compartments. The key the dealer made was from the vin, but I do have my doubts about his abilities. He told me that cadi doesnt have a valet. He also said "oh, you got the all wheel drive one" when he did the dealer history lookup. I thought they were all, all wheel drive. The key that I have that works, looks like a skeleton key, very minimal cuts. But it does say GM on it. My last concearn was, how does a valet key that is not coded start a truck that is supposed to have a coded key?

The Scientist
11-19-08, 05:08 PM
There is no "chip" in these keys like the ones for the old camaro or bonneville. Just a flat two sided key. Nothing is coded. Excate same as is used for other GM SUV and trucks. I paid $25 extra at the dealership to get a key that had the Caddi emblem rather than the chevy bow tie but they are the exact same key core.
Not all Escalades are AWD, but the 2WDs are far and few between.

ewill3rd
11-19-08, 10:11 PM
Does the key fit into the cylinder and not turn or does it not fit into the lock?

g9s8r
11-19-08, 11:10 PM
I dont know what you mean by "worn down" but nothing locks the tailgate and storage compartments. The key the dealer made was from the vin, but I do have my doubts about his abilities. He told me that cadi doesnt have a valet. He also said "oh, you got the all wheel drive one" when he did the dealer history lookup. I thought they were all, all wheel drive. The key that I have that works, looks like a skeleton key, very minimal cuts. But it does say GM on it. My last concearn was, how does a valet key that is not coded start a truck that is supposed to have a coded key?

Sorry, I assumed when you said "flat" that it was a worn down key. I would assume that if the key they gave you from the very beginning (not the one off the vin and not the lowes key) doesn't lock and unlock the rear, than the locks had to have been changed. If the key that was made from the vin do the doors and ignition than I say that the rear locks were changed. There can be many a guess as to how and why. Did you run a carfax on it??

whosurpopi
11-20-08, 12:09 AM
Yes, the key does fit into the locks, but wont turn. But the key the dealer made also went into the locks and wouldnt turn, and the two keys looked totally different. I have the car fax and it is perfect, and the dealer looked at the history and there was nothing about locks.
Do you guys have valet keys for you escalades?

Lu Scola
11-20-08, 01:01 AM
When I first got my EXt i tried using my key to lock the bed, but it didnt seem to work. I wiggled it around a bit and it finally worked. The same was for the bed compartments. Play with it. sometimes I have to open and close the compartments a little hard but they will work. Put the key in and push up and down and it might work for you. Try side to side as well.

ewill3rd
11-20-08, 07:54 AM
Usually the difference between a GM "master" key and a "valet" key is the thickness.
The key metal isn't the right thickness to properly fit into the locks that you don't want people getting into.
That would include the back and the glove box on most cars.
Does the new key match exactly the old one? Look at the cuts and compare.

luxurylife33
11-20-08, 11:50 AM
There is no "chip" in these keys like the ones for the old camaro or bonneville. Just a flat two sided key. Nothing is coded. Excate same as is used for other GM SUV and trucks. I paid $25 extra at the dealership to get a key that had the Caddi emblem rather than the chevy bow tie but they are the exact same key core.
Not all Escalades are AWD, but the 2WDs are far and few between.

Thats correct but i think he is referring to his EXT, which all came in the AWD platform

g9s8r
11-20-08, 01:24 PM
I wonder if you complain enough or contact GM directly, the dealership will get matching locks for you or the right key or something. Considering you bought it with them and they should have disclosed that. Either way, I think that is BS. Good luck with all that. Let us know what happens.

whosurpopi
11-20-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks, I should have been more specific, the dealer I got it from is not a gm dealer. This was a used car outpost of a mitsubishi and suzuki dealer.