: advice needed - stubborn tight spark plug

SmoothTS
11-17-08, 04:54 PM
I just replaced my front/left coil pack on my 2000 Seville, this solved my misfire problem. I wanted to check the plugs to make sure none were fouled by the bad coil. The first two plugs came out without much effort, very little force needed to turn them out. The third plug would not budge, so I torqed a little harder, still didn't want to turn. Not wanting to damage the threads I gave up and easily removed the forth plug. Of the plugs I removed, one was kind of sooty, the other two were clean. I really want to check on that last plug if I can get it out. Any thoughts on how I can CAREFULLY remove it? I don't know these mechanics' tricks! Thank you in advance!

Submariner409
11-17-08, 05:24 PM
Before you resort to an impact wrench, let the plug well soak in PB Blaster penetrant overnight. Always pull the plugs from a cold engine, and torque to 13 ft/lb.

Once you remove the plugs, you might want to replace them with a new set of ACDelco 41-987's from www.rockauto.com .

misfit6794
11-17-08, 06:45 PM
When I had the headgaskets done my mechanic had to let the head sit for two days with pb blaster on the plug just to get it out. You definetly don't wanna ruin your head.

dkozloski
11-17-08, 07:37 PM
Find a piece of iron water pipe that slips over the insulator and contacts the steel body of the plug. Cut off about a foot of the pipe, slip it over the stuck plug, give it a good healthy smack with a medium sized hammer, and you should be good to go. This should shock the carbon/corrosion or what have you that is sticking the plug. Try turning the plug both directions slightly, back and forth, if it loosens just a little bit.