: Help Eldo Completely Dead But Batt.has Voltage

ljohn1950
06-23-04, 03:09 AM
I have been trying to figure out why the battery has voltage but the rest of the car is completely dead for three days with no luck.any ideas would be helpfull before i have it towed away to the dealer. of course now it is out of warranty. i did notice a bit of a squeak comming from the alternator area before this happened but i don't think the alt.would cause this. at least it died in the driveway and not out somewhere in Seattle.
Larry

97Deville
06-23-04, 03:48 AM
You say it has voltage, but not how much. Assuming it has 12volts, make sure the terminals are snug. Or remove and check for corrosion, then reinstall using a 5/16 6-point box wrench or socket. Remember to remove negative first then positive,,, Install positive first then Negative. (So if the wrench touches the body while on the positve terminal, it is not a complete circuit.)

Good luck

eldorado1
06-23-04, 08:38 PM
Check fuses and fusible links.

ljohn1950
06-24-04, 02:58 AM
iI found the problem. it was the battery cable.It was corroded and not getting a good connection. In my panic i forgot th check the obvious first.thanks now i can get back to cadillackin. i missed the sound of my ravin mufflers and the cone filter. the combo makes a sweet sound when i open her up.
Larry