: Gas Guzzler Tax

chris1268
11-17-08, 12:16 PM
Did anyone else notice that on Edmunds they have it listed as no gas guzzler tax if you get the automatic? It is a $1,300 deletion from the price if that option is selected. Anyone know if that is true? If it is, it might help people make their minds up about the auto/manual conversation. Basically it would cost you $1,300 more to get the manual then.

CIWS
11-17-08, 01:26 PM
If I felt the need to have the manual, I'd pay the GGT. That being said it almost sounds backwards. The mileage on the auto should be slightly worse than the stick and therefore more deserving of the GGT. Although it makes sense they both would have it.

Cadillac Tony
11-17-08, 01:30 PM
This is bad information from edmunds. The pricing schedule specifically denotes the Gas Guzzler tax as 6DN69 with Automatic Transmission.

Does that mean the manual will not have the tax? I don't know since it isn't mentioned in my literature, but the Auto most definitely will.

jvp
11-17-08, 01:34 PM
That being said it almost sounds backwards. The mileage on the auto should be slightly worse than the stick and therefore more deserving of the GGT.

In this case, it's all about the gearing. The automatic is equipped with a slightly shorter 6th (.67) vs the stick's (.63). That alone should lose the auto some fuel mileage. However, the rear end is where the auto makes up for it. The auto has a 3.23 rear. The stick has a somewhat shorter 3.73. This means that in 6th, the manual is going to be cruising at a good bit higher RPMs than the auto will.

That will make a huge difference in mileage, all other things equal.

jas

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-17-08, 01:39 PM
69 .

Buthead, Tony said 69.... heh... heh...hehhh!!!

jvp
11-17-08, 01:42 PM
Buthead, Tony said 69.... heh... heh...hehhh!!!

That was cool.. huh huh huhhh!!

chris1268
11-17-08, 02:42 PM
Thanks Tony

CIWS
11-17-08, 05:23 PM
In this case, it's all about the gearing.

The auto is the one with the worse mileage. In this case it's like almost every other one.

jvp
11-17-08, 05:38 PM
The auto is the one with the worse mileage. In this case it's like almost every other one.

Yep, my bad. If Edmund's info is correct, it looks like city driving is the only differentiator between the two: 13 for the stick and 12 for the auto. Both have 19 for highway (supposedly. :-)) I guess the shorter sixth is evened out by the taller rear end in the auto, to end up with a similar final drive RPM as in the manual.

jas

CIWS
11-17-08, 05:42 PM
Experience tells us that any numbers posted on the window sticker will be negated by the right foot of the driver. :D

jvp
11-17-08, 05:51 PM
Experience tells us that any numbers posted on the window sticker will be negated by the right foot of the driver. :D

Very true. Personally I think it's unfortunate they put the 3.73 in the rear of the manual. A 3.42 would have given them much better cruising mileage; like in the Corvette.

Oh well. :-)

jas