: Replace CD Changer with Alpine Ipod Headunit??

CtsVrod
11-16-08, 01:28 PM
Just added another Cadi to the family - Fiance just got an 06 Escalade - and I have an alpine ida-x001 sitting in the garage, single DIN, Ipod hookup - I would Love to install it into the DIN that the CD changer is taking up, and integrate it into the Stock Nav unit (maybe through AUX, or even CD) She doesnt use the CD changer if she has her Ipod. Has anyone done this? Is it even possible? I've done a search to no avail - any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Lu Scola
11-16-08, 02:26 PM
OK here is how you will install this easily. First remove the cd changer, and install the Alpine. There will be audio out RCA cables from the alpine. Use them to run into the headunit as described. You can use a fm modulator. Get the kind that is a square box. It will have an factory looking male antenna plug wire coming out of it. It will also have a female hole for the factory escalade antenna to plug into. There is a RCA input on the modulator. Plug the Alpine to the modulator. There will be a button on the modulator that will select the channel for the audio to play out of. When I install them in my are I use 89.1. The hard wired modulator like these sound really good thru the radio station. No static, or interferance.

Directed makes a very nice FM modulator. They are around 30-40 dollars.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

CtsVrod
11-16-08, 02:57 PM
OK here is how you will install this easily. First remove the cd changer, and install the Alpine. There will be audio out RCA cables from the alpine. Use them to run into the headunit as described. You can use a fm modulator. Get the kind that is a square box. It will have an factory looking male antenna plug wire coming out of it. It will also have a female hole for the factory escalade antenna to plug into. There is a RCA input on the modulator. Plug the Alpine to the modulator. There will be a button on the modulator that will select the channel for the audio to play out of. When I install them in my are I use 89.1. The hard wired modulator like these sound really good thru the radio station. No static, or interferance.

Directed makes a very nice FM modulator. They are around 30-40 dollars.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Do you have the Part # for the Directed FM Modulator? Anyone have pics, or a writeup on removal/install of the CD Changer - How easy would you say this is on a scale of 1-10, I have a good amount of tools, and Fairly Mechanically inclined (installed most of the parts on my Cts-V). Thanks for the Help

Lu Scola
11-16-08, 03:13 PM
Sorry I dont have the part number. You can use any modulator, just get one that is a known brand. Id say on the scale is super easy. I give it a 1 on the difficulty scale. Just uplug the changer, and remove. Wiring will be easy. Just power ground and accessory. No need to wire up the speaker wires. You audio will come from the RCA. This is absolutley a DIY project. Time of install labor: 45-90 minutes.

Tools needed:
7mm or 8mm socket (cant remember which one)
ratchet
wire strippers
crimpers

Parts needed:
FM Modulator
RCA Cable
Toggle Switch for the modulator

CtsVrod
11-17-08, 09:12 PM
Ok I found this - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=3679&affiliate=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle Im assuming this is the one

Where do you tie in the Power/Ground/Accessory? Can you use the one coming off the CD Changer? Do you need to supply power/Ground to the actual FM modulator as well? Or just the Alpine?

Sorry - I can handle the Mechanical end of things pretty well - Im an idiot when it comes to wiring.

CtsVrod
11-18-08, 08:06 PM
Anything from the question above ^^

Anything about powering the FM Modulator?? Or do I just need to power the Alpine?

Povich
11-18-08, 08:14 PM
Ok I found this - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=3679&affiliate=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle Im assuming this is the one

Where do you tie in the Power/Ground/Accessory? Can you use the one coming off the CD Changer? Do you need to supply power/Ground to the actual FM modulator as well? Or just the Alpine?

Sorry - I can handle the Mechanical end of things pretty well - Im an idiot when it comes to wiring.
Youll need to power both units! Could use power from changer but I would suggest running new grounds for sure to bare metal of truck! I myself would run all new power and grounds to both units to ensure sure power and no engine noise from factory grounds! Pretty easy to do as Lu stated above! Directed electronics are good! they make quality stuff so tht one u found should wrk gr8!

yourgmsolutions
11-18-08, 08:20 PM
PM me your address and I send you FM mod. I have like a thousand of those. every time i do video install. those kits come with FM Modulator. I never use them.
I also think what you are trying to do is to much hassle for what you are trying to accomplish.
$120 will get you a really good iPod kit that will let you control your iPod through your Navigation Radio and you see titles/artist/alboms on your factory screen. and you still keep your changer, and don't need FM Modulator.
Your Fiance will love you even more, because she does not have to deal with Alpine/ipod and FM mod at the same time

CtsVrod
11-18-08, 08:30 PM
PM me your address and I send you FM mod. I have like a thousand of those. every time i do video install. those kits come with FM Modulator. I never use them.
I also think what you are trying to do is to much hassle for what you are trying to accomplish.
$120 will get you a really good iPod kit that will let you control your iPod through your Navigation Radio and you see titles/artist/alboms on your factory screen. and you still keep your changer, and don't need FM Modulator.
Your Fiance will love you even more, because she does not have to deal with Alpine/ipod and FM mod at the same time

LOL - Mark you sure do know how to spend my Money - Well it looks like I will be getting TWO Ipod kits from you then.

Guess I'll just sell the Alpine to pay for both Ipod Kits. Let me know when everything is ready to go!

yourgmsolutions
11-18-08, 08:40 PM
LOL - Mark you sure do know how to spend my Money - Well it looks like I will be getting TWO Ipod kits from you then.

Guess I'll just sell the Alpine to pay for both Ipod Kits. Let me know when everything is ready to go!

I got everything for your wife lade. the one for CTS I have to do more tests, when I have your lenses ready. I'll stop by and drop them off, and put iPod kit. it takes 5 minutes. and then I'll have a chance to sell her a bluetooth kit.
O yeah. she needs a back up camera too
:hide:

CtsVrod
11-18-08, 08:53 PM
I got everything for your wife lade. the one for CTS I have to do more tests, when I have your lenses ready. I'll stop by and drop them off, and put iPod kit. it takes 5 minutes. and then I'll have a chance to sell her a bluetooth kit.
O yeah. she needs a back up camera too
:hide:

LOL - There goes more Money! She was saying something about the Bluetooth Kit, a Back Up camera would be nice as well... I guess we will have to see - First thing first is the Ipod hookup - You gonna come up here and install it for me, as well as the Cts Kit?? :rolleyes:

yourgmsolutions
11-18-08, 09:41 PM
why don't you come to SD. I have extra free tickets to Wild Animal Park. so while you guys gonna have fun over there, I'll pimp your rides.