: Edelbrock performance carb ok for my 78?

BigPoppaD
11-15-08, 03:59 AM
So my CDV needs a new carb, I place an order for one at Autozone for $270 on Tuesday, it'll be here Friday they say. I stop by today to pick up my weekend project. No carb-they look it up in their system-it will be in NEXT Saturday. I bid them good day and go to Checkers-their stock replacement is $440. As I'm grabbing my chest, they mention they do have aftermarkets for $300. I'm not sure why a performance, polished carb is cheaper than the stock one, but I figure I'll give it a shot

I'll be digging in tomorrow, first carb job for me. Is it gonna fit? I heard they're a little tall, even taller if it needs an adaptor. Catalog number 1406. Any thoughts, knowledge? I wasn't really looking to beef up the engine, but what the heck

thanks!

cadillac_al
11-15-08, 07:10 AM
An old hot rodder could rebuild your old carb fairly cheap. A new Edelbrock will probably work ok but not better than a stock Qjet. My 78 will blow by your 78 now lol. Really, if you know any gear heads you should return the Edelbrock and rebuild the original carb.

N0DIH
11-15-08, 11:36 AM
I have one on my 80 Turbo T/A (had a Pontiac 400 now), honestly, keep with the stock Q-Jet unless you are racing. The refinement in the Q-Jet will trump the cost anyday.

Rebuild the stocker as cadillac_al said, you will be $$ ahead and mpg ahead.

A friend of mine put a Edelbrock Torquer manifold (he wanted torque) and a 750 CFM Holley on hos 90 AMC 360 and it did run much better than the stock MotorCrap carb, but I gave him a Q-Jet that was in rough shape and found him a guy to trade his Torquer for a Performer intake and he was SOOO happier. The low end power was much improved when he put on the intake and then when he put in the Q-Jet it REALLY improved everything everywhere. He was so surprised how much better.

Stay with the Q-Jet.....

jayoldschool
11-15-08, 12:10 PM
Also, the Edelbrock is a square bore, while the Q Jet is a spread bore. So, it won't be a direct fit.

BigPoppaD
11-15-08, 12:54 PM
Crap. Alright, so much for the weekend project. I don't want to chance rebuilding the carb myself, do I? I guess I better ask around

Submariner409
11-15-08, 01:37 PM
Go to www.jetchip.com and look at their line of performance Quadrajets. They'll build one for any car originally equipped with a QJet. I use their carbs exclusively for my Olds 455 marine engine rebuilds and have excellent results, power, and economy.

BigPoppaD
11-15-08, 07:15 PM
Go to www.jetchip.com and look at their line of performance Quadrajets. They'll build one for any car originally equipped with a QJet. I use their carbs exclusively for my Olds 455 marine engine rebuilds and have excellent results, power, and economy.

yikes, those prices are a lot more than I have budgeted. Not looking for any real performance boosts, just trying to get my car back on the road.

N0DIH
11-15-08, 09:00 PM
Grab a few cans of Gumout, carb kit, a couple hours of time, grab the Doug Roe book on Q-Jets and read it ahead of time and you will do well.

Submariner409
11-16-08, 09:45 AM
OK, then, try Automotive Rebuilders in Bensalem, PA. They build/rebuild street and truck carburetors. Ask for Joe or Frank (Linster). 215-639-6511