: Coolant leak when driving

Staffan H
11-14-08, 08:20 AM
Hi I am new to this forum. Iīve got a seville -94 that I changed the left HG on last christmas. One mounth later I had to change the waterpump. It has been working exelent up to this day.
Now it leaks coolant someware under the waterpump and only when Iīm driving. I have put it under pressure and no leak and no loss of pressure.
I hope it is the pump or the pumphouse but before I tear it apart I wonder if there is any opinions on what it might be. I have replaced a hose that I thought was the problem, still got the same problem.
Sorry for my bad english Iīm swedish.
Best Wishes
Staffan

Ranger
11-14-08, 12:00 PM
If you pressurized it and found no leaks or loss of pressure, what makes you think you have a leak?

Staffan H
11-14-08, 02:20 PM
Hi
Itīs leaking out when I drive, thats why I think itīs the waterpump or something in that area (itīs looks like it is some place under the pump.)
The strang thing is that under pressure nothing leaks????
/Staffan

Staffan H
11-14-08, 02:23 PM
I must add, Itīs pooring out when I drive 2 litr. /20 km
/Staffan

Staffan H
11-14-08, 02:32 PM
I talked to a lokal dealer, he talked about the "lining" (donīt know the proper word in english) and he said that Itīs a commen problem of these cars. I have never heard anything about the lining but a lot of problem whith the headgasket and things related to that.

Submariner409
11-14-08, 03:59 PM
I would think that the water pump shaft seal could be leaking. If the leak is occurring near the engine block as opposed to where the hoses attach to the water pump cover, then the coolant would come from around the water pump pulley itself.

It is possible that the water pump shaft seal would not leak when the engine is not running. If you changed the head gasket, then the water crossover (your pumphouse) was removed, so perhaps one of the gaskets there has begun to leak. As you already know, removing the water crossover is not an easy task.

Staffan H
11-14-08, 04:29 PM
Ok thanks for quick replay. The water crossover was the most tricky part to remount when I fixed the HG but it make sense that somwhere there I īv got the problem. The tricky thing is that itīs so thight (I cant see where the leak is whitout removing a lot of stuff and then I cant have the engine running, no leak) but I will try to put it down and see whats comes out of it.
/Staffan
thanks again Iīll be back whith information

Ranger
11-14-08, 04:47 PM
Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight. If the leak is on the engine side of the crossover manifold by the water pump pulley, then it's the pump shaft seal. If it is on the fender side, then it may be the pump cover gasket, but like Sub, I'd lean towards the shaft seal.

Staffan H
11-14-08, 05:05 PM
Ok Iīll look it up and thanks again for your quick reply!
Best Wishes
Staffan

Staffan H
11-14-08, 05:08 PM
By the way I must say I love the car and Itīs defenitly worth fixing it!
/Staffan

Staffan H
11-17-08, 05:26 PM
Iīve checked it with a mirror and a flashlight. It looks like itīs the crossover that leaks but it may as well be the corner of the top (headgasket)!!!
Itīs hard to see because the drip is from the "tap" on topcorner but it looks wet a little bit further up. I started it cold and it started to drip immediately, thats why I hope it is something waterpump related thing.
/Staffan