: Has anyone else seen this?

blue07cts
11-14-08, 01:40 AM
I personally think the airbags didn't deploy because no seatbelts appear to be used, but whatever the case hyundai will NOT be lovin this publicity!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/first-hyundai-genesis-coupe-crash-looks.html

Blackout
11-15-08, 10:29 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5085368/first-hyundai-genesis-coupe-crash-caught-in-korea

blue07cts
11-15-08, 10:55 AM
anyone have any other idea's as to why the airbags may not have deploied?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-15-08, 11:02 AM
Because its junk. :nuffsaid:

Really, there is no explanation for it. Why would they build a test car w/o airbags as stated by the Jalopnik site? Isn't that the point of a test car, to make sure everything works properly? Hyundai is gonna get boned for this one, especially because it was a very significant impact and by anyone's standards they should have gone off. I have seen airbags go off from a much less brutal collision.

The Tony Show
11-15-08, 11:47 AM
I like how the steering wheel folded in half.

That car is destroyed- I've had head on collisions at 150mph in Burnout on the XBOX that don't look that bad. Yeesh.

Sandy
11-15-08, 11:57 AM
The air bags failed rto deploy because it's just another piece of Asian crap on 4 wheels! If If If I won, in a lottery, a new Infiniti, Lexus or any other such thing, I'd take delivery of it & within 48 hours it would have it's rear-end perched on a Lincoln or Cadillac used car lot.
I am probably THE most #1 person in the USA against Asian dominance in the USA. The nay-sayers now see what I saw coming, 10 years ago. F' Em !

The Tony Show
11-15-08, 12:09 PM
I love Sandy. :D

Blackout
11-15-08, 12:58 PM
Luckily we won't be getting the coupe over here in the US until next year so if there is some sorta issue they still have plenty of time to get it resolved. Let those crazy Koreans be our test dummies lol

Sandy
11-15-08, 02:29 PM
PS / I should add, "Or an Imperial" - IF Mother-Mopar could ever make a car worthy of the IMPERIAL LeBaron name again! I actually had more of those, than my Cadillacs & Lincolns combined.
Imperials: 1968 / 1972 / 1974 / 1976 / 1982
Cadillacs: 1988 / 1993
Lincolns: 1986 / 1998 / 2003

thebigjimsho
11-15-08, 03:25 PM
Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm still thinking of a Genesis L in the next few years...

CIWS
11-16-08, 04:30 PM
Without knowing the facts of the case the car may have performed exactly how it was supposed to. More information would be needed.
But don't you just love folks who making sweeping judgments about a situation after looking at some photos.

thebigjimsho
11-16-08, 05:59 PM
Without knowing the facts of the case the car may have performed exactly how it was supposed to. More information would be needed.
But don't you just love folks who making sweeping judgments about a situation after looking at some photos.No kidding. If it was a Caddy being driven in the States and the same thing happened, if some foreign guys were laughing at this, I think most here would want more info on the incident.

The Hatorade flows deep, me thinks...

Blackout
11-16-08, 06:58 PM
According to Stromer's account, he was rollin' down the street in Hollywood, sipping on gin and juice a "triple grande nonfat latte" in his Camry Hybrid when someone rear-ended him, flipping the Toyota up on its side, sliding 50 feet down the street and roof-first into a curbside palm tree. None of the airbags deployed (suprisingly) and People Magazine's "sexiest man alive" emerged unharmed, so our base audience of middle-aged women can rest easy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/16/top-gear-usa-host-eric-stromer-flips-his-camry-hybrid/

TSS
11-17-08, 04:40 PM
I am probably THE most #1 person in the USA against Asian dominance in the USA.

Sorry Sandy, but you are #2. ;) GM made my town and its future hinges on GMs success. My State also hinges, to a certain extent, on the BIG THREE. :patriot:

nickc50310
11-17-08, 06:12 PM
But don't you just love folks who making sweeping judgments about a situation after looking at some photos.

No kidding. If it was a Caddy being driven in the States and the same thing happened, if some foreign guys were laughing at this, I think most here would want more info on the incident.

The Hatorade flows deep, me thinks...

Yes and yes. When I flipped my 03 CTS on the freeway, no airbags deployed. I was not wearing a seatbelt.

The lack of deployment in this Genesis was likely caused by not wearing seatbelts.

CIWS
11-17-08, 06:35 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/16/top-gear-usa-host-eric-stromer-flips-his-camry-hybrid/

I don't think a rear ending / flip itself deploys airbags does it ?

Sandy
11-17-08, 06:58 PM
TSS, go back & read what I wrote. I am 100% for GM, FoMoCo AND Chrysler. I saw, and lived through all the jumbo breaks our dumb government gave to the JAPANESE when they wanted to infiltrate our shores with little tiny crapper cars..long before you ever hear of CAMRY or ALTIMA. I was dead set against it, because I knew the country they came from never had any intention to participate in our economy, but rather to OWN our economy, bury our products and have only theirs survive. Watch....it's coming true ~~~
Gone:

Olds
Plymouth
Imperial
American Motors Corp.
and more will fall
WHAT foreign car has come here, and failed ? NONE

...and now, that the BIG 3 need help, many "Big shots (the "o" should be an "i" ) are saying the Gov't. should NOT help GM FoMo & Chrysler ! How the Hell dare they say that !!! They need to tgo to japan and see HOW the Japanese market treats American Products, over there ! We need to copy them, in that respect.
These goody two shoes "elected" a-holes need togo live there, because they are sure not for the betterment of America. Liberals..Hah Humbug. These creeps have forgotten the real meaning of Liberal. A liberal is a person who treat all people with kindness AND compassion and understanding and regardles of what religion or ethnic group they belong to, who fights to protect women and their rights, and to protect children, and further improve education. THAT is a liberal, looking to better what America has now, NOT to turn America into a dumping ground of every other countries goods at the detriment of American Corporations products.
Between my late father & my late mother, and my aunts and my uncles and myself and my wife, every car, ever bought was made in America, by an American Corporation.
Most were Imperials, followed by Cadillacs, followed by Lincolns, followed by Buicks, then Chevrolets. Few were Pontiacs, Mercurys or Fords. 2 were American Motors. I actually also look at clothing labels, and I try HARD to buy American Made with the Union Label. But, it's harder than finding an American Car, that's 4-sure! :)

creeker
11-17-08, 07:33 PM
I personally think the airbags didn't deploy because no seatbelts appear to be used, but whatever the case hyundai will NOT be lovin this publicity!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/first-hyundai-genesis-coupe-crash-looks.html

Are the seatbelts the "tool" that deploy the airbags?, I dont see the connection.

TSS
11-18-08, 09:37 AM
TSS, go back & read what I wrote. I am 100% for GM, FoMoCo AND Chrysler.

Yes, I know! I was merely challenging you, in jest, as to which of us was more pro-American. Sorry if somehting got lost in the translation.

Todd

CIWS
11-18-08, 09:41 AM
Are the seatbelts the "tool" that deploy the airbags?, I dont see the connection.

Airbag deployment without a seatbelt can cause injury. Part of the computer's logic could be that if it doesn't see the seatbelt(s) engaged, it won't allow a firing of the bags.

Jesda
11-18-08, 12:35 PM
The human crumple zone worked just fine.

The CTS had an airbag problem early on, but it was remedied. Basically, the bag fired late and would throw your head back violently, causing hellish whiplash.

In the case of this specific car, it was more than late.

thebigjimsho
11-18-08, 03:13 PM
TSS, go back & read what I wrote. I am 100% for GM, FoMoCo AND Chrysler. I saw, and lived through all the jumbo breaks our dumb government gave to the JAPANESE when they wanted to infiltrate our shores with little tiny crapper cars..long before you ever hear of CAMRY or ALTIMA. I was dead set against it, because I knew the country they came from never had any intention to participate in our economy, but rather to OWN our economy, bury our products and have only theirs survive. Watch....it's coming true ~~~
Gone:

Olds
Plymouth
Imperial
American Motors Corp.
and more will fall
WHAT foreign car has come here, and failed ? NONE

The vehicles listed above were crap when they got axed. The difference is that the Big 3 that remain actually have world class cars.

Letting crap die -- acceptable.
Letting the current Big 3 die -- unacceptable.

TSS
11-18-08, 03:39 PM
WHAT foreign car has come here, and failed ?

Took me a while, but how about Yugo and Izuzu? And they deserved it.

Blackout
11-18-08, 03:43 PM
The vehicles listed above were crap when they got axed. The difference is that the Big 3 that remain actually have world class cars. They do?

Letting crap die -- acceptable.
Letting the current Big 3 die -- unacceptable.Well what are they supposed to do? All three are bleeding money but jesus christ, $4.3 billion for the 3rd quarter for GM alone? Is the government supposed to just keep on shelling out cash to bail them out? With the state of the economy it's going to take more then "employee pricing" to get people to go out and buy cars. This is what got us into this predicament in the first place. People living beyond their means. Cars, while nice to have, are not entirely a necessity. People have been doing just fine in foreign countries with mopeds, bicycles, etc. These companies got themselves into these problems so now it's time for the greedy bastards to start taking their much deserved lumps

thebigjimsho
11-18-08, 04:37 PM
They do?

Well what are they supposed to do? All three are bleeding money but jesus christ, $4.3 billion for the 3rd quarter for GM alone? Is the government supposed to just keep on shelling out cash to bail them out? With the state of the economy it's going to take more then "employee pricing" to get people to go out and buy cars. This is what got us into this predicament in the first place. People living beyond their means. Cars, while nice to have, are not entirely a necessity. People have been doing just fine in foreign countries with mopeds, bicycles, etc. These companies got themselves into these problems so now it's time for the greedy bastards to start taking their much deserved lumpsThe big issue is that the Big 3 took awhile to get up to speed and it was too close to the crunch. No one is making money, but the Americans had less buffer. If they make it through this mess, domestics, especially GM, have the products to succeed going forward...

The Tony Show
11-18-08, 04:43 PM

I think the only "tool" in that car was the one behind the wheel. :suspect:

The Tony Show
11-18-08, 04:49 PM
They do?

Well what are they supposed to do? All three are bleeding money but jesus christ, $4.3 billion for the 3rd quarter for GM alone? Is the government supposed to just keep on shelling out cash to bail them out? With the state of the economy it's going to take more then "employee pricing" to get people to go out and buy cars. This is what got us into this predicament in the first place. People living beyond their means. Cars, while nice to have, are not entirely a necessity. People have been doing just fine in foreign countries with mopeds, bicycles, etc. These companies got themselves into these problems so now it's time for the greedy bastards to start taking their much deserved lumps

The only "greedy bastards" are the American public. GM has been trying to wean us off the incentives and discounts since they instituted their "Total Value Promise" in 2006, which drastically reduced Dealer markups in an effort to price the cars more realistically and phase out incentives- it didn't work. People sat on their hands until GM caved and gave rebates ON TOP OF the new prices, which resulted in average transaction prices $4,000 lower than the year before, even though the cars' quality had improved tenfold.

At this point, the public is so unwilling to judge the cars simply on their merits rather than their 15 year old misconceptions that the only way they'll buy American is a firehouse sale. If the Import and Domestic are close in price, most people buy Import even though it's rated lower in JD Power, lower in Consumer Report and Consumer Guide, costs more to maintain and loses just as much value as a Domestic simply because they've been brainwashed to believe that imports are better.

93DevilleUSMC
11-18-08, 09:28 PM

At this point, the public is so unwilling to judge the cars simply on their merits rather than their 15 year old misconceptions that the only way they'll buy American is a firehouse sale. If the Import and Domestic are close in price, most people buy Import even though it's rated lower in JD Power, lower in Consumer Report and Consumer Guide, costs more to maintain and loses just as much value as a Domestic simply because they've been brainwashed to believe that imports are better.

In evidence of the above, I give you the words of my recent ex-girlfriend..

"Japanese cars are better than American cars, aren't they?" :cookoo:

yourgmsolutions
11-20-08, 01:21 AM
this is kind of funny ( or may be not )
I've got rear ended very very hard by Hyunday XG350. my nissan truck (I bought it brand new in 95) is f'ed up. I loved this truck. Hyunday was very bad. when police & fire truck arrived, they were shocked that air bag did not deployed. I had to call my daughter so she took me to the hospital. so far they said I had/have a concation ( don't know how to spell it). I am home right now and feel like $hit

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/Junk/PB077486_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/Junk/PB077490_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/Junk/PB077491_1.jpg

thebigjimsho
11-20-08, 11:03 AM
Ouch!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-20-08, 02:06 PM
Took me a while, but how about Yugo and Izuzu? And they deserved it.

FYI, Isuzu was one of the largest sellers of SUVs in the US during the '90s. Extremely profitable company with reliable, cheap trucks. The reason they went under was because they never changed any of their models. They stayed the same for 15 years. Mine is beat to hell but it still runs and drives just fine. Everything on mine is original except the clutch and other regular maintenance like spark plugs and brakes.

TSS
11-20-08, 06:25 PM
If I were to accept in its totality what you stated as true, I would still think they deserved it. Staying the same and not changing models after 15 years = not good business practice in an emerging world of finer and finer entry level vehicles. I do not disagree that at vehicle introduction, Izuzu had some real competetive vehicles (ie. Amigo/Trooper). I saw it really going down hill with the Ironman stuff.

Peace.