: Need home excercise suggestions.

Spyder
11-12-08, 09:26 PM
So, two months from today I start the California Fish and Game academy.

I'm not in horrible shape, but not exactly ready for an intense physical based academy either.

My hours are such that I only have late nights and early mornings to do much of anything.

I'm currently running whenever I can, doing pushups and situps/crunches whenever I can and just started doing dips off the edge of the fireplace and am going to start doing body squats and lunges whenever I can.

What else do you folks suggest to get my ass in shape? Chest, abs and cardio are the main things I'm worried about, but of course, anything else will help as well. I can't do a pullup to save my life, so anything that would help with that would be great as well...

I'm 7'0', 260lbs, would like to drop a little body fat and get up to about 280...which I know won't happen until I have time to get to a real gym, but anything to start me off and keep myself from being injury prone when the academy starts would be helpful...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-12-08, 10:28 PM
Start riding a bike to work (if its possible). That is a really good way to build both muscle and endurance without taking a lot a free time. Otherwise I say start jogging to build endurance. Don't see how fast you can run a mile (wears you out too fast) but how long you can keep running without having to stop.

I would also say lots of push-ups as well. That will help you build muscles to start doing pull ups. Remember, lots of weight and very few reps builds muscular strength while less weight and more reps builds muscular endurance.

Caddy Man
11-12-08, 10:35 PM
Spyder,

After years of bodybuilding type workouts, with little to no cardio, I found myself in not the most optimal shape for law enforcement type training and agility tests. I had a short time to build up my running endurance and my overall strength. After doing some research online I found a great workout that was tailored towards people who wanted to get ready for Marine boot camp. I figured a LE training academy and boot camp had some similarities in the fact that there is a lot of running, sit ups, push ups, etc.

Here is what I do

Monday
Pull ups (3 sets, all to failure)

Sit ups (3 sets, all to failure)

Standard push ups (3 sets, all to failure)

Tuesday
Run 1.5 miles at a moderate pace, but try to get faster over time.

Wednesday
Chin ups (3 sets, to failure)

Sit ups (3 sets, to failure)

Wide grip push up (3 sets to failure)

Thursday
1/4 mile run as fast as possible, rest for 1 minute
Repeat 4 times for a total distance of 1 mile. (This interval type training helps with speed)

Friday
Close grip or neutral grip pull ups (3 sets to failure)

Sit ups (3 sets to failure)

Close grip push ups (3 sets to failure)

Saturday
Run 3, 5, or 10 miles (time doesnt matter as much, as long as you finish up and improve each week).

Sunday
Standard Pull up (3 sets, to failure)

leg raises (3 sets, to failure, this is for lower abs)

Incline push ups (3 sets to failure, prop your feet on an elevated surface)

Keep your protein levels up and eat good. This program is meant to be done in a circuit style. This means after the first set of pull ups, rest 1 minute and do a set of sit ups, after 1 minute rest there, go do a set of the push ups, and just repeat this until you do 3 sets of each.

The workouts are quick (20 minutes total) and are acutally quite tiresome when working in a circuit mode.

Always try to do better and better each workout, naturally each set you will do less than the previous set, but over time your strength will go up big time. Your run will get less and less each time.

I purchased a nice pull up bar called the Iron Gym. You can get it at Walgreens for 20 some dollars, and it uses a lever type design to mount in a doorway without any drilling, and can be removed any time. It has been sturdy for me and you can also use it for sit ups and push ups (look it up and you will see how).

I did this workout and my strength and endurance has gone up a lot in a short time. I have lost quite a bit of weight too and have more of a streamlined look, but am stronger since the time I was lifting weights.

I know you said you cant do any pull ups, but just try, eventaully you will increase more and more. If you cant do 1, just hang there with your arms bent as long as you can. The pull ups are great to balance out all the push ups you will be doing.

Any questions, just ask. I hope I made this all clear.

EcSTSatic
11-13-08, 11:02 AM
All good advice. I went through Marine bootcamp and the advice above will go a long way. You need to modify your diet. Cut the carbs. There are plenty of good diets on the web

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-08, 11:51 AM
Depending on weather conditions, I'll run 2-4 miles daily. My goal is not to run as fast as possible, but for as long as possible without stopping or slowing for anything.

c5 rv
11-13-08, 01:37 PM
In addition to the great suggestions above, check local parks and schools for outdoor crosstraining courses. You run from station to station and do a different exercise at each one.

Spyder
11-13-08, 11:12 PM
Thank you all, I will work on what I can and keep you all posted!

EcSTSatic
11-14-08, 08:31 AM
If you want to check your progress, use a tape measure, not a scale. As you work out you build muscle and lose fat so a scale will show little if any progress.

dkozloski
11-14-08, 10:30 AM
Go to your nearest black ghetto and start shouting Obama sucks donkey balls. You'll soon be experiencing all kinds of useful exercise like running and hand to hand combat.

Jesda
11-14-08, 10:32 AM
Depending on weather conditions, I'll run 2-4 miles daily. My goal is not to run as fast as possible, but for as long as possible without stopping or slowing for anything.

No wonder you get away with Baconators.

I used to cycle a lot, then stopped, then got fat. Then years ago I was too poor to buy food, so I slimmed down quickly. Then I got fat again.

Cycling is great if you live in a location where its not a deathwish. I probably enjoy that more than anything, because I'm going from place to place instead of running on a hamster wheel.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-08, 01:01 PM
I probably enjoy that more than anything, because I'm going from place to place instead of running on a hamster wheel.

Funny you mention that, because I cannot run on a treadmill. It bores me to tears. I need to have scenery when I run, and a change of location.

Spyder
11-14-08, 06:08 PM
Yea, I have to run a different route every time...if I do the same one more than a few times, I get really bored...

creeker
11-14-08, 06:41 PM
Thank you all, I will work on what I can and keep you all posted!

Bend and stretch exercise;put your beer in the back of the bottom shelf of your fridge.