: Help needed with 1985 Fleeetwood Brougham

Vaden
11-12-08, 01:53 AM
Howdy, my name is Vaden, and I’m the son of a Cadillac owner in Michigan. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I don’t know exactly where else to turn. My dad was a Cadillac enthusiast for years, bought a new one every single year and traded in the old one, and the last Cadillac he ever bought was a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. It only has 6,000 miles on it, the only times I can really ever remember it being driven while I was there was to my brother’s high school graduation and once to a birthday party. My dad is 83 years old now, and has put me in charge of trying to sell his car. I’m probably the least car-knowledgeable person you’ll ever find – I can add windshield wiper fluid and coolant, and that’s pretty much the extent of it.

All I know for sure is that the car has a rust spot on it from a winter where it was left out in the cold for some reason (I was off at college, not sure of the specifics). It’s black, has all the original parts, and the owner’s manual and cassette tape it originally came with. The insides look practically brand new. My dad informs me that it still runs ‘very smooth’, and a couple non-biased observers who sat in it agreed.

I tried calling around to find out what value it has – I want to make sure I get the most I can for it for my dad, because he’s retired – but all I’ve heard from dealers is “it’s too old to be in my blue book” and “well, drive it on over here and maybe we can take a look at what we could give you as trade-in value”. I’ve done the internet research that I can – looked up how many were made that year, tried to find recent sales, but I can’t find any relevant information on what a 23 year old car with 6,000 miles on it is rightfully worth.

So I finally did a search on Cadillac forums, and landed here. As I said, I hope I’m not intruding, but I feel like I’m just so far out of my element that it would be better to seek even general information from people who obviously have a passion for this type of car than to keep wandering aimlessly. Any information, no matter how minor, is very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Vaden

Aron9000
11-12-08, 04:07 AM
Post up some pics of it, so we can get an idea of the condition. If the paint/chrome are still mint, I'd say $3000-$7000. Sorry that isn't much help, but 1982-1985 were bad years with the unreliable 4100 V8.

jayoldschool
11-12-08, 02:24 PM
Two door or four? D'Elegance package? Leather? Astroroof? Wire wheels?

Take lots of pics. Interior, exterior, engine, rust, underneath, etc.

With that low mileage, be prepared to show receipts proving it.

Once we have more of an idea what the car looks like, we can give you a rough number range of what you might get. Then, you can list it in the classified section...

cadillac_al
11-12-08, 08:24 PM
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1985&m=1032&d=262&c=12&vi=65147&z=04736&da=-1

Gorbo1985
12-10-08, 02:22 AM
The values are a wide range because of the age. Check EBAY for listings. One probelm is the ga mileage. At 4 a gallon less interest. My 85 134,000 miles is tuned and will do 26 Highway if I go light and 55. City 14-18 again if I baby it. I love this ride.