: Worn Engine Mounts?

matt2001
11-10-08, 08:32 PM
2000 STS

About a month ago, it started to make a small "click" noise when I put it into drive. Not as I shift, but when the tranny engages. It's slowly grown into a "clunk". I popped the hood to try and locate the noise, and when I shifted it into gear the engine moved about 2 inches. Is this too far, and is there a history of the mounts failing? I have 110k miles on the car.

Submariner409
11-10-08, 08:37 PM
If the engine rocked toward the firewall when you put it in D then the front motor mount is toast. Not uncommon, and that mount can go at any mileage under any conditions.

Do some research in here and Seville on motor mounts and, in particular, solid front motor mounts.

codewize
11-10-08, 10:56 PM
Sub, I think you're being nice here.

Not only is it not uncommon but it's actually extremely common. My DTS has 60k on it and the mount has been done 3 times. Unless you drive the car like a little old man you can plan on changing the front mount about every 30k or so.

My first one was ripped right in half at 24k. Seriously there's not even a need to ask if it's bad at 30k, just replace it.

Submariner409
11-11-08, 09:57 AM
:cool: Not quite so nice........I'm on my second mount at 48,000, and under the right conditions, I drive it very differently from a little old man. (I'm 6'3" and 250, so not little.......creaky, maybe.)

I'm still threatening to go over to Charlie's transmission shop and put the STS up on the hoist so I can check out the best way to install a front side tie-down cable. I like the theory of not transmitting engine vibration to the cradle and front unibody unless the engine is fully acceleration loaded.

codewize
11-11-08, 10:57 AM
Yup, I'm with you on that. The solid mounts do transmit some harmonics. You know what thought. I don't even notice it now so it must not be all that bad.