: +1 For Runflats

JoeArlo
11-09-08, 05:48 PM
So I've never been a huge fan of runflats: added noise, harsh ride, expensive, etc. Well this morning changed my perception. Driving up in the Malibu canyons I took a right turn and BAM! I had no idea what I hit but from the sound thought my entire right front was gone. I still had full control of the car when the air pressure alert went off. I pulled over to find a 3" gash in my sidewall. Turns out the storm drain at that corner had been damaged and rebar was sticking out of the concrete.

So after a leisurely drive home on Route 1, I am incredibly impressed with how well the tire held up. Immediately after the blow out I was able to keep full control of the car with no problem. :thumbsup:

I was planning to get new rubber anyway so looks like I've got my reason!

thebigjimsho
11-09-08, 08:43 PM
And you thought your move would include better roads...

But seriously, I'd consider a move out to the Left Coast just for that...

cobra29svt
11-10-08, 01:45 AM
I had a simular situation about a month ago. Was in a bad part of town w/ my wife and son in the car when I found out I had a huge screw stuck in the tire. Drove as far as I could before it came out. It was on a Sunday night and the auto parts stores were closed. Made it all the way home (aprox 30 miles) w/out an issue.

JD03Cobra
11-10-08, 08:30 AM
I shredded a tire on the highway up in Northern Michigan late at night as I was traveling with my wife and little kids. It was 11:30pm, cold & every 3 minutes a hugh semi would fly by which sucked. Slap on the doughnut that wasn't a full size tire, 50mph tops and zero handling since it was up front. Yeah I wish I had run flats.

Back in the spring my tire pressure dropped to 16lbs on my V, got out and took a look. I couldn't even tell. Aside from the harder ride and cost I'm a big fan. I need snow tires in the next few weeks here and I'm thinking of spending the extra $250 for runflats. I see they offer then with the snow tires.

CtsVrod
11-10-08, 11:52 AM
So I've never been a huge fan of runflats: added noise, harsh ride, expensive, etc. Well this morning changed my perception. Driving up in the Malibu canyons I took a right turn and BAM! I had no idea what I hit but from the sound thought my entire right front was gone. I still had full control of the car when the air pressure alert went off. I pulled over to find a 3" gash in my sidewall. Turns out the storm drain at that corner had been damaged and rebar was sticking out of the concrete.

So after a leisurely drive home on Route 1, I am incredibly impressed with how well the tire held up. Immediately after the blow out I was able to keep full control of the car with no problem. :thumbsup:

I was planning to get new rubber anyway so looks like I've got my reason!

Whew!! You went into the Canyons without me!!! Where'd you go?

JoeArlo
11-10-08, 12:09 PM
Whew!! You went into the Canyons without me!!! Where'd you go?

My buddy from SD drove up Saturday night and we decided early Sunday to drive up to Malibu. I thought about calling you but it was 800AM so I didn't want to wake a restful slumber. :alchi:

I had the blowout on Coral Canyon on an uphill right-hander. There was some brush covering the drain which is why I didn't see it. Clearly from the damage it has been hit before which exposed the rebar.

CtsVrod
11-10-08, 01:22 PM
My buddy from SD drove up Saturday night and we decided early Sunday to drive up to Malibu. I thought about calling you but it was 800AM so I didn't want to wake a restful slumber. :alchi:

I had the blowout on Coral Canyon on an uphill right-hander. There was some brush covering the drain which is why I didn't see it. Clearly from the damage it has been hit before which exposed the rebar.

8 a.m. Yea.. Def. Not up for that early of a Canyon Run.

Scary to have a Blowout in the twisties... After all those mudslides, fires, etc. The roads have gotten a bit tore up. Sounds like you got pretty lucky!