: ***need URGENT REAR DIFF. advise***

Clarke
11-08-08, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone,
Ive had my car for a long enough time to fall in love, but my rearend finally did the unthinkable. I had a fabricated metal support that eventually led my rearend to grenade. Symes in Pasadena quoted me a $8000 total, which included $6500 in parts alone. Its a rear diff replacement.

My question is, is that the best price or is there a aftermarket alternative? Like a serious one? I was looking to spend around 5K total so this is not gonna work...

Thanks,
Morgan

Twitch
11-08-08, 06:50 PM
You make it sound like that price is for a stock diff replacement. I think Lyndsay sells the diff for around $1600. But for 8G, I'm sure your talking about an upgrade.

Any pics of that support? And how do you know it caused you diff to grenade?

Tony

whisler151
11-08-08, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone,
Ive had my car for a long enough time to fall in love, but my rearend finally did the unthinkable. I had a fabricated metal support that eventually led my rearend to grenade. Symes in Pasadena quoted me a $8000 total, which included $6500 in parts alone. Its a rear diff replacement.

My question is, is that the best price or is there a aftermarket alternative? Like a serious one? I was looking to spend around 5K total so this is not gonna work...

Thanks,
Morgan

I thought most dealerships charged around $3,000 including labor for a rear diff replacement. $8,000???? :bonkers:

Clarke
11-08-08, 07:04 PM
No pics.

My support was made for a temporary fix. nothing permanent. why? Because a friend of mine only had a limited time to use his family shop. The solid mounted support had a brace welded to the subframe and a large tab that grabbed all the pinion bolts on the front of the case. Kind of like the BMR pinion support brace, but not mounted back to a bushing.
Eventually after about 8 months of driving,the small 8or 10mm bolts wiggled loose and stripped. Leaking fluid.

The service man said that "by only being solid mounting the front it sent a harmonic vibration throughout the rest of the diff. and broke off the front of the case..."

If anyone has suggestions let me know PLEASE. This car is my baby. I could also get a parts list and put it up on Monday.

thanks

Clarke
11-08-08, 07:49 PM
wow spell check i guess. haha

CTSV_510
11-08-08, 08:47 PM
Clarke - a stock replacement should only run about $3k installed. Who is Symes in Pasadena?

There is an option through Madman - $7500. Apparently there's also a shop out in Cali called "The Corvette Shop" that has installed at least one Viper differential in a CTS-V, but we have no more information on that. You might try calling them, someone posted the number in the thread "Dana 44 Viper Differential..."

Nutz
11-08-08, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Morgan

Starting on a couple more real soon...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/150389-steel-diff-housing-2-available-soon.html

Jayrcr3
11-09-08, 12:36 AM
If you were looking to spend 5 grand, buy nutz' steel diff and you will never have to worry about the rear end again.

heavymetals
11-09-08, 06:54 AM
If you were looking to spend 5 grand, buy nutz' steel diff and you will never have to worry about the rear end again.

I hate to burst your bubble but that has never been established.

Maybe mated to a KARS it might be pretty stout though.

The MADMAN fix is the only one I hear of getting the snot beat out of and still together.

Problem there is that he has to have the car, ergo no bolt on mod here! :mad:

Nutz
11-09-08, 10:15 AM
Do your research Morgan. Ask the right questions. You WILL find the right choice...

Clarke
11-11-08, 09:01 PM
okay, doesnt look like there is much to do here. I need a place that can do this repair for me. Im gonna get the parts/labor quote and ask around to compare prices. Can someone please give me a recommendation to a reputable shop in So cal that works on V's??? I need to get this done. Im also going to get all the rear diff OEM bushings machined out of Delron.

Thanks

heavymetals
11-11-08, 10:01 PM
Jeff's autos in the valley is a standup guy.

Does a lot of V's.

818-998-4410

Clarke
11-11-08, 10:04 PM
thanks heavymetals,

Im going to be contacting D3 to see about a custom build on the rearend as well. Jeff will get a call too. Youve met me before, I was at a Tustin meet about a year back. Young guy with a all-black V.
thanks for the advice,
Morgan

heavymetals
11-11-08, 10:19 PM
If your going that route, I would like to see what Nutz's steel diff married to a KARS system with BMR trailing and toe rods and stronger bushings would do.

(new half shafts also)

Short of the 09 swapout (which I hope doesn't turn out to be wishware) that is the bolt on solution.

MADMAN wants $10k (I think) and has to have the car.

That is getting to close to half the value of the car!

My solution is to not beat the crap out of it (no flaming required).

Clarke
11-11-08, 10:56 PM
Heavymetals,
I dont beat the crap out of it, but the clunk is just unbearable and takes away a HUGE percentage of my(and the passengers) driving experience. I was expecting for my rearend to go out, but only intended to spend 5k MAX. So decisions are difficult to make right now and I really will have to be careful with this. I already have the BMR control arms and anti-wheel hop blah blah blah...

D3 was interested in building me something upgraded... their talking about doing a 9" or 8.8" center section still utilizing IRS.

I will keep posted, because at the end of this, the "CLUNK" is going down.