: Odd Ball Dealerships

Sandy
11-08-08, 12:24 PM
Tell us your stories of Odd Ball Dealership brands matched up with the unlikely other brand.

I have seen one (1) Ford & Mercury, without Lincoln.

Recently, in Cannonsberg, Pa. the world's ONLY
Mercury Exclusive (in business for many many years)
....... recently closed (This past Summer))

Until 1981, we had about 5 miles from my house,
an Avanti dealership. Closed in the early eighties.

In late late 1968 Chrysler Corp. decided to offer
Imperial only dealerships. Only 7 were granted.
One of them was like 4 miles away from us !

We also had a JEEP ONLY dealer, who refused to take on AMC
(American Motors Corp. cars.)

We also had a AMC / Pontiac Dealer - but I had heard around that time,
early 1970s, that was a common match-up during the 1970s....
I had seen a few - very few - others......

Anybody else have unusual dealerships current or past....
mostly they are from the past...

dkozloski
11-08-08, 12:50 PM
When I was a kid one local new car dealer sold Dodges, Buicks, and Fords off the same showroom floor. The building had three wings, one for each brand. There was one parts room.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-08-08, 12:54 PM
Right near the dealer I work at, there is a Lincoln/Mercury/Suzuki dealer, and the next L/M dealer down the line has a Subaru franchise paired with it too.

orconn
11-08-08, 06:47 PM
In Richmond we have Moore Cadillac and Subaru sharing the same location and facility. When I was a kid growing up in Pasadena, CA one of my best friend's father had a Hudson/Citroen dealership in South Pasadena ........ he had been the Cord Auburn Duesenburg dealer in Pasadena during the 1930's ....... some guys have all the luck! And ofcourse, there was Peter Satori who combined Rolls-Royce with Hillman Minx. Lest we forget, Mercedes-Benz once cohabited with Studebaker.

ted tcb
11-08-08, 10:01 PM
Back in the 70's, we had a Bricklin dealership in Barrie, On.
Its was an RV store, but always had a full lineup of Bricklin's for sale and service, plus a few Corvettes.
A long lineup of Bricklins was always an impressive sight.

c5 rv
11-08-08, 11:08 PM
In our county, we have:

- Ford, Mercury dealer

- Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealer (the one I prefer)

- Cadillac, GMC dealer (that also owns the Honda dealership next door)

- Buick, Pontiac dealer (that also owns a Chevrolet and former Oldsmobile dealership a couple towns over)

ryannel2003
11-08-08, 11:38 PM
About 10 years ago, the dealership next to mine was New Bern Pontiac Mazda. Pontiac was sold to my dealership (Trent Cadillac Buick Pontiac GMC) and now the dealership next to ours is New Bern Mazda Suzuki.

But back in the day, our dealership was Trent Olds Cadillac GMC Subaru. Talk about strange...

misfit6794
11-09-08, 12:30 AM
We've got gold coast cadillac & hummer, which recently started selling saabs as well. Down the road is a dealer that sells ford,nissan,kia, and dodge. There's also a ford and suzuki dealer about 20 minutes away. Also a lincoln only dealer, I've got no idea how they stay in business.

misfit6794
11-09-08, 12:33 AM
We've got gold coast cadillac & hummer, which recently started selling saabs as well. Down the road is a dealer that sells ford,nissan,kia, and dodge. There's also a ford and suzuki dealer about 20 minutes away. Across from them is a mazda and chysler dealer. And a lincoln only dealer, I've got no idea how they stay in business. I think dealers will be trying to get their hands on any car that sell, especially with this economy.

97DevilleBeige
11-09-08, 12:55 AM
In the 90's when Hummers were fairly new, the Pontiac Suzuki dealership added them, so there was "Maelstrom Pontiac Suzuki Hummer" in West Islip, NY. They stopped with Pontiac first, then gave up on Hummer, and within the last year or so completely went out of business on Suzukis.

Red_October_7000
11-09-08, 04:29 AM
In the 90's when Hummers were fairly new, the Pontiac Suzuki dealership added them, so there was "Maelstrom Pontiac Suzuki Hummer" in West Islip, NY. They stopped with Pontiac first, then gave up on Hummer, and within the last year or so completely went out of business on Suzukis.

LOL not surprising, Suzukis are some of the worst cars you can buy in this country. I remember reading a bit in Car & Driver about how some people had talked with people from their motorcycle-focused sister magazine, and they were amazed that the same company that made the generally excellent Suzuki motorcycles could also make such attrocious automobiles.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-09-08, 12:54 PM
The dealer I work for sold Chevrolet/Jeep/Eagle for about 10 years, then Eagle went under in '98, and they acquired the Daewoo franchise in 2000, so from 2000 to 2002, it was Southview Chevrolet, Jeep and Daewoo. :eek:

None of those brands I particularly care for, but it would have been cool to see new Talon TSi's in the showroom and in the service department.

Sandy
11-09-08, 03:21 PM
MISFIT, where in Jersey is that Lincoln Stand Alone Dealer ????

What is its name ?

I am in Jersey, too. First town going West, outta Newark.

Aron9000
11-09-08, 10:17 PM
We have Darrell Waltrip Honda and Volvo in Franklin TN. Come to find out there is Rusty Wallace Honda in Knoxville TN(about 200 miles away).

We also have Andrews Cadillac, Hummer, and Saab. Kind of an extreme range, but not suprising since they're all premium GM brands.

I've seen a Hummer/Land Rover dealer. Why anybody would buy an H2 over a Range Rover is beyond me:cookoo:

Jesda
11-09-08, 10:50 PM
I remember how weird it was years ago seeing a Buick-Pontiac-GMC-Kia dealership. One lot, four brands, one oddball Korean.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-09-08, 10:56 PM
In the city I work in, there is a Lincoln/Mercury/Suzuki dealer and directly across the street is a Ford dealer. Well for whatever reason, the L/M dealer is shutting down and merging with the Ford dealer (is Fomoco dictating this?) and I don't know where the Suzuki franchise is going.

misfit6794
11-09-08, 11:45 PM
I forget the exact name of it, its in shrewsbury.

tman2093
11-11-08, 04:35 AM
We had Jim Armstrong Buick GMC Subaru. Now it's just Jim Arstrong Subaru.

Then theres the hickory auto group (Formerly paramount), sells porsche, vw, cadillac, lincoln, mercury, volvo.

cvettr/cts-v
11-11-08, 11:44 AM
Here in St. Louis the closest Cadillac dealer to my house also has Toyota in same building. Did have Hummer also but they moved that part to different location.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-11-08, 12:36 PM
That reminded me, what Tanner, Brian and I went to visit Jesda in Ames, IA, we saw a Cadillac/Toyota dealer! How so good and pure could be combined with something so drab and dull is beyond me!

dkozloski
11-11-08, 01:12 PM
Here, three different dealers swapped dealerships, car lines, and buildings in a mind boggling realignment. The car lines were all the MoPars +Jeep, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz, Kia, and Mazda and maybe some more. I'm glad I don't own any of those because I wouldn't have any idea where to go for service. Everybody moved to a different building and lot and some of the dealership combinations changed. Planning and execution of the moves rivaled the D-Day invasion. It all happened on one weekend.

danbuc
11-11-08, 05:50 PM
There used to be a Volvo/Saab dealer by my house before Ford bought Volvo and GM bought Saab.

Had a Mazda/Subaru dealer down the street as well, but they split a few years back and Mazda moved across the highway.

There's a dealer downt he road (Jack Daniels I believe) that sells Buick and Volkswagen.

The Hummer dealer that just opened up down the street from me recently aquired the Caddy dealer (Brogan of Ridgewood, NJ) about two months ago. They sit right next to a Hyundai and Mini dealer.

The Chevrolet dealer just down the street went out of business about a year ago...had been there forever..and it was Chevrolet only. They might have been bought out by someone though..not sure.

There's also another Chevrolet/Hummer dealer down the road (who mainly specializes in Corvette sales).

Too many car dealers around here...must be at least 30 within 10 miles.

Sandy
11-11-08, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Guys! Some sorta kinda normal mis-matches there, but also several truly off the wall marriages there too.

That one, several above (or back) from this post mentioning moving the Lincoln franchise into the Ford dealer.....(I'm telling secrets, now) will NOT surprise you in about a year. the FORD-LINCOLN franchise.
Hint: There is NO 2010 Mercury line........ :(:annoyed::banghead::wtf::closed:

Sandy
11-12-08, 06:15 PM
MisFit 6794......I checked it out. Nope, George Wall Lincoln-Mercury Inc., is THE dealer in Shrewsbury, N.J. and he does sell Mercury....well for another year or so......There is suddenly a $4,000 rebate on the NEW MKS. Doesn't look good. To date, I have seen 3 on the road with private license plates. 2 Cinnamon and 1 black.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-08, 08:29 PM
:closed: I like that Sandy. I'm gonna have to use it more often.

Sandy
11-13-08, 09:51 AM
What's in store for Mercury........

Grand Marquis has been decontented for 2009. It will die off by next Summer.
Milan & Sable will be back for 2010. Perhaps Mountainter too as well as the smaller Sport Ute. 2011 more will fall. FoMoCo will begin bringing over European Ford Products, with a Euro flair and gas saving engines. These are re-badged current Euro Cars, some with Hybrird powerplants. Eventually, all Mercs will be imports.
Now, they tried this before....Scorpio, Mecur, and the early Capris. It didn't work then, in the long run & I do not think it will work now.

Ford would like to see Ford-Lincoln dealerships as they are both profitable, but Mercury is not. Anything bought at Mercury can be bought at a Ford dealer, except for the not defunct Crown Vic. And ford has TRUCKS & MUSTANG !
(Which are not at Mercury)! But, the fear is that the Lincoln buyer does not want to buy at a lowly Ford Dealership. Probably a justified fear for FoMoCo execs to ponder.

c5 rv
11-13-08, 02:43 PM
...There is suddenly a $4,000 rebate on the NEW MKS. Doesn't look good. To date, I have seen 3 on the road with private license plates. 2 Cinnamon and 1 black.

I've seen very few in our area, too. However, I see them regularly in Ann Arbor, MI, where a lot of Ford managers live. The MKS will likely be my next daily driver in 2010. It drives nicely and has good proportions for my wife to transfer in/out. We'll see how reliable it proves to be over the next year.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-08, 02:54 PM
Wait, so is the Mercury name dying or not?

Sandy
11-13-08, 06:17 PM
As I understood it, no, the Mercury nameplate is not dying (yet) but it's products will come FROM FORD, but from the orther side of the "pond" ...
Recll Merkur, Scorpio, The original Capri were sold under the banner of
"Imported for Mercury" ?

ryannel2003
11-13-08, 06:59 PM
The oddball dealership next to mine, New Bern Mazda-Suzuki, just closed up for good. :(

MauiV
11-13-08, 07:10 PM
Most odd ball I saw was Lexus of New Orleans colocated with a Hyundai dealership. They didnt share buildings but they were owned by the same guy and shared lots.

Lexus of Louisville has a Smart Car dealership attached to it. The Merc dealer is about the only major brand that Sam Swope (who owns Lexus of Louisville) doesnt own.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-08, 07:27 PM
I wish the Smart dealer was paired with the local Mercedes dealer, but they're seperate buildings and lots...about three miles from each other. That Mercedes dealer is paired with a Nissan franchise, and they share the same building and lot. The Mercedes dealer I used last is paired with Porsche, and they have an Audi dealer too, but it's about two miles down the road, and the last Mercedes dealer in the Twin Cities is paired with BMW, on the same lot, with the same building. I'd like to go there for my service needs, but it's 45 minutes away.

As far as Cadillac dealers in my area go, there's Grossman Cadillac/Chevrolet, Denny Hecker's Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC, Key Cadillac, Wally McCarthy's Cadillac/Hummer, Morrie's Cadillac/Saab. That's all within 25 miles of home.

Aron9000
11-19-08, 06:35 PM
The oddball dealership next to mine, New Bern Mazda-Suzuki, just closed up for good. :(

Weird, my local Mazda(Mazda only) had been selling Mazda 3's by the boat-load. Salesman said they had the largest selection of 3's in Tennessee, 40 new ones in stock, 6-7 used ones. Said they sell those two to one over all their other models.