: differential problems

ridehard
11-06-08, 04:47 PM
what would the whine sound like if my diffential was going bad the only noice i hear sound like a normal noice that the steering system would make. the noice i hear is when i steer it sounds like the belts and steering system is tha tthe whine people are talking about. I am a hypochondriac when it comes to my cars so now im worried we are driving 6400 miles very soon so we need to see if its ok. thanks in advance

BDuncan
11-09-08, 12:44 PM
Generally, the front diff bearing noise is more of a dull roar, not a higher pitched whine. Usually you can hear it better turning at slow speed like around a street corner. You can also sometimes make the diff noise change sound or get softer / louder by loading and unloading the front end - steering slightly left or right at speed like going around a highway curve or freeway exit ramp.

hcvone
11-10-08, 03:38 PM
It's best to change the oil and go with synthetic, I always change mine at 20k to 25k, of course all my oils get changed to synthetic Amsoil at first oil change. :)

Scott in Milwaukee
11-10-08, 10:28 PM
Well, I took "Big Pimpin" to the dealer this morning to have a few things checked as my 100,000-mile warranty is about to expire on my '03 ESV. I told the service writer that I detected a slight growl or hum at 40-45 mph as I would lightly decelerate and accelerate and I mean very lightly. I thought at first the sound was the radiator fan but the engine speed did not fluctuate as I rolled on and off of the throttle because the torque convertor was not being commanded to lock and unlock during my test. The verdict is in............new differential carrier is needed. Major repair indeed. I would definitely take any vehicle that is still under warranty to the dealer and complain of a noise at 40mph as you roll on and off of the throttle.

1class
11-13-08, 09:26 PM
It's best to change the oil and go with synthetic, I always change mine at 20k to 25k, of course all my oils get changed to synthetic Amsoil at first oil change. :)

Hey hcvone, was reading the sticky thread Front Diff and Transfer Case how to change, and since you said you used AMSOIL for your ride can you be more specific on what you use and were?

For example the sticky on "how to change the fluid" said to use Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic for the front diff (ok great!) and then is when I get a little :skeptical::skeptical for me they mention Auto-Track II "blue stuff" but then they say use DeX III or DeX VI and save some cash.
Sorry, but when I get under my ride and change anything I want to put the best so I get the best protection and do not have to do it as often. I would like to use the best synthetic. (is that Auto-TrackII?) O and what about synthetic fluid in the trans?

Let me know what you use? and how often to you change yours?

63K on my 04'Escalade not sure when it was last changed.

Thanks

KrazyKeith
01-12-09, 08:06 PM
Do all of our awd escalades have 3.73 gears ?