: My OBD II port not working

Orlie
11-06-08, 04:31 PM
A check engine light came on, I took it to autozone and they could not get the code reader to power up when plugged inti the port. Any idea why the port is not working correctly. They tried 2 different code readers.

later
Orlie

hcvone
11-07-08, 09:42 AM
It may have been their readers, the dealership uses a Tech II Tool, when I had my 03' my Snap on reader would not work, but the dealership tool worked fine.

Lu Scola
11-07-08, 10:44 AM
Mine did the same thing at autozone. I went over to advance same again, then I opened the hood and I pulled the ECU fuse I think, then plugged it back in and then it read fine.

93si
11-07-08, 11:29 AM
I just tried mine with my cheap reader and i got the same thing, no power to the reader...

dkozloski
11-07-08, 05:25 PM
Power to the OBDII port is commonly shared with the cigar lighter or power port. Check the fuse.

ewill3rd
11-08-08, 07:39 AM
Get the coins out of your cigar lighter, replace the 15A cigar fuse in the underhood fuse block and stop using the cigar lighter as a coin holder :lol:

Seriously though, I see this A LOT!!
It is not the smartest place to put the thing and it only takes a coin toss to pop the fuse.
OBD II standards use pin 16 as power in the DLC and pins 4 and 5 as ground. If this fuse blows the DLC will have no power and scan tools will not power up.

93si
11-09-08, 04:48 PM
Awesome Thanks alot i will check that out...

1class
11-10-08, 04:19 PM
Get the coins out of your cigar lighter, replace the 15A cigar fuse in the underhood fuse block and stop using the cigar lighter as a coin holder :lol:

It is not the smartest place to put the thing and it only takes a coin toss to pop the fuse.
OBD II standards use pin 16 as power in the DLC and pins 4 and 5 as ground. If this fuse blows the DLC will have no power and scan tools will not power up.

Ewill3rd,

I am experiencing that similar problem with my OBTII reader also not reading 04' ESV. It works on my other cars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94217

Reading your tip I checked my cig fuse and it was fine. The cig-lighter does not work. I took it to another car to make sure it was not the lighter and it worked. Not sure if I am having multiple problems because both rear doors will not lock and unlock and produce no sound when the front doors activate. I thought when you mentioned the fuse that they may have been on the same line, but no luck. If you have any input let me know.

Thanks

hcvone
11-10-08, 04:27 PM
Ewill3rd,

I am experiencing that similar problem with my OBTII reader also not reading 04' ESV. It works on my other cars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94217

Reading your tip I checked my cig fuse and it was fine. The cig-lighter does not work. I took it to another car to make sure it was not the lighter and it worked. Not sure if I am having multiple problems because both rear doors will not lock and unlock and produce no sound when the front doors activate. I thought when you mentioned the fuse that they may have been on the same line, but no luck. If you have any input let me know.

Thanks

My Snap On reader worked on all my other GM cars/trucks, it works on my 07's, just would never work on my 03' Escalade.
:banghead:

1class
11-10-08, 08:59 PM
hcvone, if the snap on reader did not work then I must not complain about my cheap reader. Thanks
I went out with my son tonight to troubleshoot. We checked not all the 12vdc outlets had power. Checked fuse and they looked ok. Proceeded to remove the rear passenger door panel (which by the way I before doing it I thought it would be difficult.. it was easy compared to some other vehicles I have worked on.) using a voltmeter checked power to the door lock actuator unit. There are two plugs. The best I can describe the one with the larger gage wire did not have power and any time when activating the locks. The other with thinner gage wire had 12 volts all the time. We removed the actuator and carefully oppened cracked open the case and found a little electric motor like one you would find in small electric toy cars. I used 9-volt battery and was able to activate the little motor. We put the lock-unit back together and using the 9-volt battery was able to activate the door lock. All that works so.we are back to square one. :banghead:
Not sure maybe someone else has some input.

Lu Scola
11-10-08, 10:14 PM
I may have an answer for you about your rear doors. I will check with my alarm guy tommorrow. I know the Esaclades have seperate locking systems from the front and the rear. Actually I have some schematics that may help with the locking problems. I just emailed them to you 1class! Open the attachments and you should see the wiring diagram info. If its not the right one let me know.

1class
11-11-08, 08:55 AM
Hey Lu, got it, thanks for the great info it should be helpful to my door lock problem. They point out the wiring color and location of the modules and I plan on check it out later and will post what I find.
According to info, GM has DATA BUS SYSTEM with no central location for front and back locks systems. :hmm: Also points out the there is a BCM Body Control Module for the deferent doors triggers. That may be a place for me to start.

Sorry gang I did not mean expand on the door problem on this thread, while trying to solve the OBDII issue. Not sure if this needs to be another thread. Moderator will let us know.

Fil

ewill3rd
11-11-08, 09:37 AM
So you are saying it powers up, but it won't communicate?
I don't mess with many aftermarket tools, did you say what tool you are using?
What kind of response does the tool give you?

1class
11-13-08, 12:39 PM
So you are saying it powers up, but it won't communicate?
I don't mess with many aftermarket tools, did you say what tool you are using?
What kind of response does the tool give you?

ewill3rd

yup it is aftermarket not very expensive tool, the link for the tool a couple of post back. It is CEN-TECH CAN OBDII.

This morning I plugged in the tool, turn it on and then started the car. It took a long time and was very slow and just as before it failed, reporting (failure communicating). So then I turned the car off and powered off the scanner. Started the cycle again this time it acted different, it was very fast in sync and finally gave me a reading :D. no errors to report which is a good thing.
Not sure why it took multiple times but it finally worked.

lotech22
11-13-08, 12:49 PM
A posible reason that your OBDII is not working is because you have built in diagnostics. Have you tride pulling the codes from the DIC. Access the diagnostics here---->http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us100232.htm
And then use this to diagnose the DTCs you get here--->http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

lotech22
11-13-08, 12:57 PM
And regarding the tools you buy & use...you get what you pay for. I got a Wal-Mart special w/the same como problem. Doesn't necessarily me your OBDII sys is jacked up. A wise engine builder once told me, "Stop pulling codes and just drive"!

1class
11-13-08, 06:11 PM
A check engine light came on, I took it to autozone and they could not get the code reader to power up when plugged inti the port. Any idea why the port is not working correctly. They tried 2 different code readers.

later
Orlie

Orlie did you get yours working? did you pull codes?

Ghost Deany
04-20-09, 08:53 PM

sorry but i had to do it. i just got my 04 2 days ago and wanted to stick my scan tool on there to check everything out, and it wouldn't come on. i couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, and it just so happens, last night a buddy of mine was trying to use the cig. lighter and it wasn't working and there was a penny underneath it! ohhhh!

mancuusa
05-01-09, 07:57 PM
hye i guess we all have the same issue...when i bought the car i had it inspected with this guy and was able to connect to computer....now that i have teh engine on....its not working..i will chekc the cigarrete later...were is the fuse? does anyone found the problem ?

mancuusa
05-01-09, 08:00 PM
Mine did the same thing at autozone. I went over to advance same again, then I opened the hood and I pulled the ECU fuse I think, then plugged it back in and then it read fine.

hey were is the ecu fuse ?

ewill3rd
05-01-09, 10:22 PM
The fuse that always blows on Escalade is in the underhood fuse block. It is a 15A and I think it is labeled Cigar.
If this fuse is blown the DLC will have no power and a lot of code readers won't work.

jburn18
08-23-13, 06:20 PM
My OBDII gives me an "Error" also when I try to plug and read codes on my 2003 Escalade. I have checked the fuses for all of the cigar lighters and they are good. I see you mentioned locating the ECU fuse. Would their be another name on the fuse panel for this? I can not find it. Also, is it located in the fuse panel under the hood or under the steering wheel? Thanks so much for your input!!

the cadillac man
08-23-13, 10:54 PM
My OBDII gives me an "Error" also when I try to plug and read codes on my 2003 Escalade. I have checked the fuses for all of the cigar lighters and they are good. I see you mentioned locating the ECU fuse. Would their be another name on the fuse panel for this? I can not find it. Also, is it located in the fuse panel under the hood or under the steering wheel? Thanks so much for your input!!

I will look and see if there is another fuse that may have to do with the PCM

mxovington
04-14-14, 07:31 AM
Hello I am new to this forum but my 2007 escalade the check engine light came on an when on snap-on scanner says no comm. With module an cycle key on/off. Also my cigarette fuse isnt blown. Any suggestions

the cadillac man
04-14-14, 11:44 AM
Hello I am new to this forum but my 2007 escalade the check engine light came on an when on snap-on scanner says no comm. With module an cycle key on/off. Also my cigarette fuse isnt blown. Any suggestions

The 07+ has a different wiring setup I am sorry I can't help more then suggest check all of the fuses