: driving aids on road track???

SoJersey05V
11-06-08, 02:23 PM
might be a stupid question...

but i'm new to theroad track scene and want to really get into it as NJMP is 5 mins from my house!!

knowing that the V has a few different settings for the driving aids...

what do you guys use/reccomend?

all off? competitive mode? trac off stability on?

just curious of what to try...

thanks guys... also all tips are appreciated!!!!

Twitch
11-06-08, 02:33 PM
Leave everything on. The car can get away from you quick. Your not gonna be doing any throttle steering in a while. So your better off being smooth. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".
You'll have to remove EVERYTHING from the car to pass tech. So leave as much stuff as you can at home.
They'll tell you a lot in the classroom. And your instrunctor will show you the best way around the track. They may even offer you a ride in their car.
I'll get back when I think of other stuff.

Oh, most of this is assuming your going this weekened. I can't make it cuz I'll be out Sat.
Have fun

Tony

SoJersey05V
11-06-08, 02:39 PM
thanks tony!

you mean take all belongings out of car? backseat?

Twitch
11-06-08, 03:20 PM
thanks tony!

you mean take all belongings out of car? backseat?
Seat can stay. Take out floor matts, everything out the trunk, EZ pass, empty your glove. Usully, you'll pick a parking spot. Take out what little you have left in the car, and go to tech.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

SoJersey05V
11-06-08, 03:27 PM
ok cool...thank you for the advise! and the heads up!

what kind of tire pressure do u reccomend? i am running pirelli p zero neros.... im at like 28 cold now...

and yes i'm going this weekend

thebigjimsho
11-06-08, 03:57 PM
The trick is...if you need to ask what to keep on, keep everything on!! And keep it on for a while. I have yet to run a track with everything off except for Putnam Park(with the exception of a tire barrier entering the front straight, there is hundreds of feet of runoff room).

As you learn more and more about your car, you can figure out what to turn off and what to keep...

atdeneve
11-06-08, 04:30 PM
Leave everything on. The car can get away from you quick. Your not gonna be doing any throttle steering in a while. So your better off being smooth. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

If you're on a track, you're gonna be doing a lot of throttle steering. It's just something you're gonna have to do. Especially on longer, slow wrap-arounds - you know, those turns that seem to take forever and you really gotta be patient - you wanna be using mostly throttle modulation to control the car. For Thunderbolt, turn 10. That's much more smoother than twitching the steering wheel back and forth. And a lot less busy work. And more fun.

PISNUOFF
11-06-08, 04:58 PM
ok cool...thank you for the advise! and the heads up!

what kind of tire pressure do u reccomend? i am running pirelli p zero neros.... im at like 28 cold now...

and yes i'm going this weekend

Start out by setting it at 32 cold and check it immediately after getting off the course. You will want to be at 35 when hot. This is a good starting point for a novice. Use a pressure gage, not the driver info center numbers, it's more accurate.

VforMe
11-06-08, 05:10 PM
You mean I can't race with my little girl's car seat in the back? That's half the reason I traded my TT for this beast.

SoJersey05V
11-06-08, 06:17 PM
lol 32 cold really? good thing i asked... i was thinking dropping the pressure a lil to make the footprint a lil bigger...i love CF!!!

PISNUOFF
11-06-08, 06:48 PM
You'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes. When I ran street tires I tried to keep the pressure around 35 or 36. Lower tended to plow the front end more.

SoJersey05V
11-06-08, 07:37 PM
You'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes. When I ran street tires I tried to keep the pressure around 35 or 36. Lower tended to plow the front end more.

good to know! thanks...

so glad i started this thread to learn! thanks again!!!

Dennisscars
11-06-08, 11:23 PM
Fast will not come until smooth. Tape this on your mirror if necessary.

Watch this guy's video, I've seen him run and he has killer times. The first time you watch it enjoy the view outside the car, it looks like he's out for a Sunday drive. Second time watch inside the car and listen, no speed shifts, no yanking the steering wheel, no pitching the car, no death grip on the steering wheel, nice smooth throttle, braking, steering inputs. The reason he's making killer time is because he's not pissing off the car.. I still contend that if stabiltrak comes on, your pissin' off the car.. until you can make it around the track without it coming on.. leave it on.

Video (http://wurthmotorsports.com/Vid/Cal_Speedway_GrandAM_7-2006.sm.wmv)

SoJersey05V
11-07-08, 01:38 AM
damn good driver!!!!

Albertan
11-07-08, 01:50 AM
look well ahead of the car to where you want to go. Your steering will be smoother.

Twitch
11-07-08, 08:13 AM
EXACTLY!!! At V-Day II my tire pressure went over42, and the buzzer came on. I dropped the pressure to 35 or a bit lower. The front end was all over the place. Turns 6-7 were no fun anymore. I ended that session early.

Watch this guy's video, I've seen him run and he has killer times. The first time you watch it enjoy the view outside the car, it looks like he's out for a Sunday drive. Second time watch inside the car and listen, no speed shifts, no yanking the steering wheel, no pitching the car, no death grip on the steering wheel, nice smooth throttle, braking, steering inputs. The reason he's making killer time is because he's not pissing off the car.. I still contend that if stabiltrak comes on, your pissin' off the car.. until you can make it around the track without it coming on.. leave it on.

^^YUP^^

PISNUOFF
11-07-08, 12:31 PM

If he were in my car with all electronics on, he would have set it off 4 times during that lap. 0:35, 1:09, 1:13 and 1:37. My car would have been so pissed off, it would have needed 2 hot chicks for a night out on the town for the next weekend to calm it down.

I'm not saying a novice should turn it off. It has made me a MUCH smoother driver and probably saved my a$$ a time or two. I run now with it in Competition mode and I can feel where it would have come on and I try not to go past that point anyhow. I'm just saying that if you're going to push your car, you're occaisionally going to go over that point where the stability control will kick in no matter how smooth you are or how lightly to grip the steering wheel or how comfortable you are in the driver's seat. Even Michael Schumacher has spun out a time or two.

SoJersey05V
11-07-08, 03:10 PM
wow guys... last night i went for a drive on a couple of my favorite roads... tried things differently... works great!

also learded how the heel toe shifting technique... lol

PISNUOFF
11-07-08, 06:37 PM
You'll soon be practicing that every time you down shift. :yup::yup::yup:

Dennisscars
11-07-08, 09:43 PM
I'm just saying that if you're going to push your car, you're occaisionally going to go over that point where the stability control will kick in no matter how smooth you are or how lightly to grip the steering wheel or how comfortable you are in the driver's seat. Even Michael Schumacher has spun out a time or two.

Sure that's how you learn but for noobs, you paid for it.. you should use anything to save one's arse. Instilling good habits early on, pays later on..

If I had a beater car I'd purposely spin it every corner just to know where that limit was.. but since I'd like to drive my car home in the same condition I brought it and there are no scouts in the stands, I'd like to stay out of the wall.. but we're all there for different reasons..

as opposed to this guy who looks like he's starting a rope start lawnmower..
video

SoJersey05V
11-08-08, 11:56 AM
You'll soon be practicing that every time you down shift. :yup::yup::yup:

oh yes this is true... got it right a good amount of times that nite... now thats all i've been doing... it's very effective! also a bit tough with my size 13 skis hehehe

*** bought a pair of Piloti Shoes*** <----- LOVE THEM!!!!!!

now for a helmet, and other goodies, because come next season i'm jumping in with both feet, because this winter will be for the mods!!!!!!

thanks again guys!

thebigjimsho
11-08-08, 03:23 PM
Sure that's how you learn but for noobs, you paid for it.. you should use anything to save one's arse. Instilling good habits early on, pays later on..

If I had a beater car I'd purposely spin it every corner just to know where that limit was.. but since I'd like to drive my car home in the same condition I brought it and there are no scouts in the stands, I'd like to stay out of the wall.. but we're all there for different reasons..

as opposed to this guy who looks like he's starting a rope start lawnmower..
video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJSZIq7XDA)Was this guy purposely trying to do that? Or does he just suck that bad? Or was he practicing drifting?

SoJersey05V
11-08-08, 03:34 PM
Was this guy purposely trying to do that? Or does he just suck that bad? Or was he practicing drifting?

thought the same damn thing... lol thats what im going to look like hehe

if i did look like that driving, i'd pull off and go the hell home!

thebigjimsho
11-08-08, 03:44 PM
thought the same damn thing... lol thats what im going to look like hehe

if i did look like that driving, i'd pull off and go the hell home!Yeah, 1 hand on the wheel and 1 on the shifter is not too good. Neither is holding your hands on the wheel at 11 and 1...

PISNUOFF
11-08-08, 10:21 PM
This video should be shown at all DE events as a WTF not to do.

Dennisscars
11-09-08, 12:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with gently sneaking up to the edge and taking a peak, it's another matter to charge off the cliff like a herd of wildebeests..

First guy was going to the edge on purpose, second.. not on purpose..

Listen at how smooth and measured this guy's throttle applications are... plus I find this engine sound intoxicating..
Sound comes up after intro credits..
Video1 (http://www.equipeeurope.com/video/LMC04LolaEE.wmv)

Lesson here.. do not go full throttle until steering wheel is straight.. the throttle should be measured with steering wheel.. ie the more steering input the less throttle. More straight.. more throttle. You'll keep the car happy.

atdeneve
11-10-08, 03:04 AM
If he were in my car with all electronics on, he would have set it off 4 times during that lap. 0:35, 1:09, 1:13 and 1:37. My car would have been so pissed off, it would have needed 2 hot chicks for a night out on the town for the next weekend to calm it down.

I'm not saying a novice should turn it off. It has made me a MUCH smoother driver and probably saved my a$$ a time or two. I run now with it in Competition mode and I can feel where it would have come on and I try not to go past that point anyhow. I'm just saying that if you're going to push your car, you're occaisionally going to go over that point where the stability control will kick in no matter how smooth you are or how lightly to grip the steering wheel or how comfortable you are in the driver's seat. Even Michael Schumacher has spun out a time or two.

:yup:

SoJersey05V
11-10-08, 10:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with gently sneaking up to the edge and taking a peak, it's another matter to charge off the cliff like a herd of wildebeests..

First guy was going to the edge on purpose, second.. not on purpose..

Listen at how smooth and measured this guy's throttle applications are... plus I find this engine sound intoxicating..
Sound comes up after intro credits..
Video1 (http://www.equipeeurope.com/video/LMC04LolaEE.wmv)

Lesson here.. do not go full throttle until steering wheel is straight.. the throttle should be measured with steering wheel.. ie the more steering input the less throttle. More straight.. more throttle. You'll keep the car happy.

this guy is good! thank you very much!:thumbsup: