: 94 Concours Engine Clatter

VikezFan
11-06-08, 12:19 PM
I think I might have major problems. Here's what happened.

I recently purchased a 1994 DeVille Concours with the 4.6L Northstar engine. This is a rebuilt engine that has 90,000 miles on it. I had noticed that there was a slight rattle on the passengers side (front-top) of the engine when I first started the car and at low RPMS. It ran great otherwise, especially on the highway. It seemed to be a timing issue. So, since I have the manuals, I started following the troubleshooting flowchart for P041, which is the only persistent P code.

At one point it has you unplug C2 (goes to cam sensor) and C3 (power to the ignition control module) from the ICM, crank the car over (it wont start this way), and read the maximum DC voltage across the cam sensor plug (C2). Checked it three times. The test worked fine. The next step was to plug the connectors back in and then start the car. This is where it got rather odd. When trying to start it, the rattle that is normally there on startup was MUCH louder and the car would not start. Never did get it to start again. I have removed the battery for charging and to completely wipe any setting in the PCM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.