: Performance Division Chief Retires

bruff1977
11-05-08, 04:30 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/05/gm-performance-guru-john-heinricy-retires/

The Tony Show
11-05-08, 05:17 PM
Weaksauce. Heinricy was a true "car guy", and accomplished a ton at (and for) GM. At least he went out with a bang by setting the 'ring record in the CTS-V.

Big loss for GM. :(

lawfive
11-05-08, 11:35 PM
Yep, that sucks for GM and for us.

V-Love
11-06-08, 08:43 AM
Just when they start getting recognition by everyone else. Damn. All you guys that get the extra inspected, first run V's will have some special cars.
I wonder if he knows something and thats why he jumped ship.

bruff1977
11-06-08, 09:10 AM
It may have something to do with the layoffs and buyouts being made throughout GM. Wagoner has an announcement tomorrow...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/06/gm-announcing-important-changes-on-friday/

The Tony Show
11-06-08, 10:05 AM
I don't think it takes a soothsayer to notice that in today's culture of worrying about gas mileage and being "green" that now might be a good time for a guy who made a career out of designing and driving road ripping, gas sucking, pissed off racing machines to call it quits and rest on his laurels.

dqw1
11-06-08, 10:06 AM
Well, I would say thank you to John for all he's done. Sad to see him go.

RightTurn
11-06-08, 10:12 AM
Hey, look at the bright side. Now there's a really cool job opening at GM. :coffee:

demorgan59
11-06-08, 10:22 AM
John Heinricy should have Lutz's job. I can't imagine how good GM could be with his DNA spread across the entire line up. With him and Tom Wallace both calling it quits, something is definitely up, and it's not good.

onebadcad
11-06-08, 01:20 PM
now might be a good time for a guy who made a career out of designing and driving road ripping, gas sucking, pissed off racing machines to call it quits and rest on his laurels.

Dead on bro'!!!

Bigron
11-06-08, 01:37 PM
John Heinricy should have Lutz's job. I can't imagine how good GM could be with his DNA spread across the entire line up. With him and Tom Wallace both calling it quits, something is definitely up, and it's not good.

Lutz's is a car guy as well:
When he was at BMW and helped launch the 3 series.
He oversaw the development of the Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler and Chrysler LH platform automobiles when he was the president at Chrysler.
He had the initiative to build the sky/solitce at GM.
He pushed for the ZR1 and CTS-Vs to be monsters

Also spreading his DNA just sounds dirty

demorgan59
11-06-08, 04:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Bob Lutz has done a great job. I just think if someone is retiring it should be the 78 year old guy not the 60 year old one that is at the height of his career. Also, Tom Wallace is 58 or so. Seems like something MAJOR must be happening with GM Performance Vehicles Group and Corvette for these guys to leave.

Nutz
11-06-08, 09:41 PM
If there was such an award as "The going out in style" Award of the year, it truly would be grasped by the steady hands of Mr. Heinricy... I hope he finds a warm beach to retire to (that has winding roads that lead to it):lildevil:...

EricVonHa
11-11-08, 12:52 PM
Hey John, if you're reading this, it was a pleasure meeting you in the fall SCCA Pocono double regional. I was immensely impressed by the new V and I truly appreciate the 15 minutes you took out of your day to discuss the car with me. It's one of those moments that a "car guy" will never forget. I hope you find yourself another great position in a high-performance automotive related field. Keep us posted!

Thanks again!

BeastMaster
11-11-08, 01:40 PM
I truly wish John the best and am glad that he was able to get out while the getting was still decent. He is one person that does not deserve to be stuck with the c### that GM is going through.

rand49er
11-12-08, 07:01 AM
Just a thought, but maybe the far left wing guys in DC now have sent a message to GM that there'll be no bailout if they've got guys like John helping to design what they see as unacceptable cars. Lutz might also fit that characterization.

Just a thought, mind you.