: Coolant Leak

Bigron
11-04-08, 04:34 PM
Well my check coolant level screen is coming on and I had it topped off in Oct 3rd and also last May. So I am pretty sure I am leaking somewhere.
Oil looks clean and no puddles that I have noticed.
I am out of warranty, but I have a GMPP.
I have to pay for the rental and to pressure test the system. If they find that it is a mechanical failure GMPP will pick up the tab minus my $50 deductible.

What are the common leaks or coolant issues? I would hate to be out of pocket for something easy.

CTSV_510
11-04-08, 04:44 PM
Common for the '04 & '04 radiators to develop a leak. Mine was replaced under warranty when I was getting the low coolant warnings.

EDIT: Oh, and it's hard to notice the leak because it falls onto the plastic below the radiator but doesn't always reach the ground.

smoothq
11-04-08, 04:58 PM
I have had my radiator replaced 4 times. It seems to like sitting idling in the fog, after driving it in the fog. Idk but up here in washington it rains a lot also.

SoJersey05V
11-04-08, 06:51 PM
i just posted last week about this.... had the rad replaced under warranty

good luck

rand49er
11-04-08, 07:17 PM
Ron, maybe I didn't understand correctly, but would you have to pay only $50 (the deductible portion) to get a new radiator assuming the leak check showed a problem? That's not too bad, except the rental of another car and all. Bummer that it wasn't discovered when it was on the original warranty.

Bigron
11-04-08, 10:49 PM
If it is the radiator im only out the $50 ded, and they would cover the rental as long as it is a 2+ hours of labor.

MIKEC
11-05-08, 07:55 AM
my v was in the shop monday to have the bumper replaced after a service tech had in accident in it taking it to the work area that is when they noticed my radiator was leaking they replaced it under warranty.

Bigron
11-05-08, 04:18 PM
Well just got the call.
The pressure tested the system and it was something small.
$65 so I pay $50 and $45 for the rental.

Once I go pick it up I will get the rest of the details.

rand49er
11-05-08, 04:39 PM
Ron, that's not bad. Really.

For under a hundred bucks, you've got a new radiator. Heck, you're suppose to flush out your coolant system every so often (two years?) and put new coolant in anyway, and that costs the bigger part of a C note as it is. You done good.

Bigron
11-05-08, 11:30 PM
Nope no radiator.
They replaced the surge tank pressure cap.

Bueller
01-17-09, 02:26 PM
I just had my radiator replaced under CPO warranty. I could smell coolant and the service writer said it was common. Now I am good to go.

Didn't want to start a new thread.