: Dreaded leather cracks

crusher
11-04-08, 03:11 PM
I have the leather cracks on the left side drivers seat. Anyone make the bottom seat cover other then GM?

Rolex
11-04-08, 06:50 PM
Leatherseats.com

Katzkin.com

You should Google leather seat covers. There are several aftermarket manufacturers that will offer seat covers or complete leather kits. Get on the phone with them with your color codes and you'll find what you need.

crusher
11-05-08, 09:01 AM
I found these guys and ordered the seat bottom...
http://store.theseatshoponline.com/p-57-2003-2006-cadillac-escalade-drivers-bottom-shale-leather-wneutral-trim-wperforated-center-stk-c-esc-03-shnu-d.aspx

crusher
11-05-08, 09:54 PM
BTW, my truck has 38,000 miles and the seat is bad enough that I want to replace it. A friend of mine has 60,000 miles and his seat is in better condition then mine. He and his wife are on the short size and both use the running board to get in so they kinda just sit in the seat without sliding across the seat to get in or out. That may be the difference. If you slide in and slide out without using the running board and maybe wear jeans (they're more rough then dress pants) it wears the seat more causing more cracks. How do your trucks seat hold up mileage wise?

g9s8r
11-06-08, 01:41 PM
Do you have pics?? I bought mine at about 40k and have about 45k on it now and I think mine is pretty bad also. I do believe it is from sliding in and out of the truck rather than sitting/standing up off of the seat.

mikracer
11-06-08, 02:21 PM
I checked out the seatshop.com and have been planning on ordering a seat bottom as well. My only concern was that the new seat bottom wont match the seat back since it will be new. Anyone replace either part and find that the colors dont match?

fierodough
11-06-08, 02:39 PM
I have 44K Km on mine. the seats like all crinkled. I though that Cadillac used better quality materials then regular GM products? I love my Escalade, but I can't beleive the seats get mangled up so fast.... This is obviously a design flaw.

g9s8r
11-06-08, 10:32 PM
This is obviously a design flaw.

Or, they just didn't think that people would get in an out the way "We" do. My passenger side looks brand spanking new. HAHA. :cool:

fierodough
11-07-08, 09:23 AM
Or, they just didn't think that people would get in an out the way "We" do. My passenger side looks brand spanking new. HAHA. :cool:

Hence the design flaw. :cool2:
If people naturally enter the vehicle a certain way, they should have redesigned the seats or used a different entry setup. (IE: a grip handle on the pillar etc..)

I too am interested in know the percentage of people with worn leather seats vs millage.

hcvone
11-07-08, 09:26 AM
I see it with many customers trucks, the people that slide across vs. stepping on the running boards their seats show much more wear, it would be more important for people who get into their trucks this way to keep their seats clean and conditioned much more often if you want the leather to hold up longer, once cracks set in it's too late.

Scott in Milwaukee
11-07-08, 06:33 PM
Try a local interior shop. Most are reasonable. Had a nice repair done to my Navigator last year. Way cheaper than a new seat cover.

Rolex
11-07-08, 11:01 PM
This is obviously a design flaw.

I agree, but it's not unique to Cadillac. This is symptomatic of leather seats in many makes and models. It's one of the pearls of owning leather seats IMHO. Some manufacturers are now making the side panels out of a thick, high quality vinyl which holds up better. You won't find that on higher end vehicles AFAIK, but it's definitely a practical solution to an all too common problem.

If you drag your butt across rather then using the steps, you'll wear any leather seat out eventually.

hueterm
11-08-08, 02:08 PM
Are people talking about creases or actual cracks where the leather itself is split.

I'm not...light...(ahem..) and I slide across the seat sometimes...but the leather in mine isn't anywhere close to cracking. Mine's barely even creased....

Rolex
11-08-08, 05:17 PM
I believe what they're talking about is the section of the seat cushion that lies closest to the driver's door. Many people slide across it when getting in and out of their truck. IMO that section takes more wear and sheering force then any other part of the seat.