: receiver/ speaker watts?

Benjamin
11-03-08, 02:41 PM
does the receiver need more watts than the speakers?

CadillacSTS42005
11-03-08, 04:10 PM
what!?!?!

wachuku
11-03-08, 06:05 PM
One possible answer to the question might be this:

Ideally it's a good idea to have a receiver whose output power is greater than or equal to the long-term power handling of the speakers. That way, there is the potential to play the speakers at their maximum volume capability without clipping (distortion) in the power signal that comes from the receiver.

If, for example, an OEM car receiver is rated at 10W output unclipped into four ohms (which I believe might be generous), such a receiver will not provide an ideal power signal to an aftermarket speaker capable of handling, say, 50W.

Benjamin
11-08-08, 03:16 AM
so 500 rms subs and a 60 watt receiver won't work?

CadillacSTS42005
11-08-08, 09:24 AM
rofl
you never over or under power a speaker
period
if thats your ?
you always have a balance
over powering will blow it out
under powering will require you to pump up the volume and thereby sending distortion to the speaker and also blowing it

Submariner409
11-08-08, 10:18 PM
Yeah that ^^^^

"Receiver watts" is theoretically how much power output is available from a given amplifier. "Peak watts" is a phony marketing hype which is twice the old IHF "music power" which is way inflated over RMS (root mean square) output.

"Speaker watts" is hype to make a speaker sound powerful: a speaker generates NO watts, it is a transducer. It transforms wattage INPUT into sound. Speaker watts should (but not always) mean how much power the unit can absorb before blowing up. "Power handling capacity" would be a more fair descriptive term. (As Jay said clean power: distortion will kill anything.)

"This is a 500 watt subwoofer" is meaningless. The hype sounds good, but means absolutely zilch.

The pics are of some of my toys used to take my mind off engine building......along with Evan Williams Bourbon........

CadillacSTS42005
11-09-08, 11:42 AM
RMS is the power you focus on
peak power is only seen if you put your amp in freezer overnight, and then proceed to feed it 15 car batteries
and even at that you probably will NEVER hit those numbers

mythy
11-14-08, 10:57 PM
does the receiver need more watts than the speakers?

To answer that question , Yes...

The receiver needs more watts then the speakers or should I say draws more watts.. no amp is efficient and as such the HU will use more power to out put the power needed for the speakers. But then that wasn't what you really wanted to ask... :thumbsup: