: Temp reading in mirror is inaccurate still!

Cadillade
11-03-08, 10:48 AM
My dealer replaced the mirror itself with no effect, although the new one is better built as it does not creak like the old one did. However, the temp reading is still reading too high. I found the TSB:

#04-08-45-008A Outside Air Temperature on Rearview Mirror Reads Too High (Relocate Ambient Air Temperature Sensor) - (Mar 7, 2005)

Where would the sensor be re-located? As far as I know, the sensor is usually mounted on the radiator, which could explain the higher reading than normal.

Thanks!
'05 EXT (built 1/05)

Lu Scola
11-03-08, 11:13 AM
Ill try to find out where its located. The rearview is only a display of the temp from the sensor. Your sensor may be picking up heat from the engine area which is causing it to transmit a higher reading than the actual tempature outside. Most cars the sensor is located in the front of the vehicle near the grille or bumper area.

hcvone
11-03-08, 03:16 PM
On the 2003 it was on the passenger side just to the left if you are standing in front of the truck, several inches to the left of the radiator, neaxt to the HID ballast if I remember correctly. You have to understand if sitting still in traffic or parked it will always read higher because of the engine heat, they are only close at best, but when cruising at say 20 mph or above after a few mintes it should be within a few degrees.

WaterSun
11-05-08, 09:10 PM
My '04 EXT does the same thing and it is kind of annoying. It always reads about 8 degrees warm no matter if I am sitting still or moving. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the sensor and it still does the same thing. Is it hard to move the sensor myself to get a more accurate reading?

crusher
11-05-08, 09:37 PM
Would love to know where the alternate location is myself. Mine always reads about 4 degrees above actual temp. which I guess isn't to bad. Better then 8 degrees.

Cadillade
11-11-08, 07:46 AM
On the 2003 it was on the passenger side just to the left if you are standing in front of the truck, several inches to the left of the radiator, neaxt to the HID ballast if I remember correctly. You have to understand if sitting still in traffic or parked it will always read higher because of the engine heat, they are only close at best, but when cruising at say 20 mph or above after a few mintes it should be within a few degrees.

Thanks hcvone for the reason why the temp is reading higher than normal. However, either the programming needed to be compensated for the radiator heat or relocating the sensor as it won't pick up the additional heat.

I have noticed that the front end body of the Escalades do not permit cooling through the grille very well as the louvers for the grill points upwards as air passes through. Also, there is no opening for the front bumper.

My Ford Explorer (1995-1998 model) has the sensor is mounted in front of the radiator, but there is plenty of air flow as the grill and bumper openings were generous. Perhaps, the programming is designed to compensate the extranous heat or cold.

I would appreciate where the sensor was relocated per TSB, though.

hcvone
11-11-08, 08:33 AM
Thanks hcvone for the reason why the temp is reading higher than normal. However, either the programming needed to be compensated for the radiator heat or relocating the sensor as it won't pick up the additional heat.

I have noticed that the front end body of the Escalades do not permit cooling through the grille very well as the louvers for the grill points upwards as air passes through. Also, there is no opening for the front bumper.

My Ford Explorer (1995-1998 model) has the sensor is mounted in front of the radiator, but there is plenty of air flow as the grill and bumper openings were generous. Perhaps, the programming is designed to compensate the extranous heat or cold.

I would appreciate where the sensor was relocated per TSB, though.

It would be a tough thing to do because of the wide temp ranges these trucks see in different parts of the country, my 07's are better than my 03' was, they are usually within 2-3 degrees. With the design of the truck as you said there is no place to get good air over the sensor, that is the biggest problem