: ENGINE Burning OIL Anyone?

CateraMV6
11-03-08, 08:19 AM
I have been watching my car lately and I noticed since last winter that when I start it up a puff of blue/white smoke comes out for a few seconds and then goes away, which leads me to beleive that the switch to synthetic at 60K was a bad Idea since the previous owner never bothered to use it, so the sludge that was built up around the valve seals was then washed away and now oil leaks through there and enters the combustion chaber at start up and then it is burned and the result is blue/white smoke on startup?

Anyone else have similar issue or a fix for that, i have tried Lucas additives but so far no luck!... :suspense:

eastsidercaddy
11-03-08, 08:04 PM
You're not going to like it but if that's happening replace your valve cover gaskets. I'm thinking head gasket...but try valve cover gaskets fist. Switching to synthetic doen't neccesarilly 'cause leaks'. I switched from the regular or blend whatever the original owner had after i bought it in Feb. 2 years ago and immediately switched it over to synthetic. NO problems! If it worsens or stays the same after valve cover gaskets....head gasket and valve gaskets could need changed. I was lucky with mine because original owners had the engine rebiuilt around 50,000miles in 2001, so it's all good for me. Your engine on the other hand probably hasn't been re-done like mine has so it's gonna need some work. That's all i can offer. Good Luck!

cateraowner
11-04-08, 11:15 AM
first thing you wantt o do is a compression test. you want to try and rule out burnt vales or something like that. look at your spark plug, see if one or all is soiled with oil. that will give you an idea what cylinder it's in. if that leads nowhere go back to dino oil. (if you have to add stop leak stuff while you use synthetic you might as well go with dino oil)

compression test is easy and cheap to do yourself, and tells you a lot about your engine.

good luck

CateraMV6
11-04-08, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to see when my dad and I can get around to play with it for a bit and see if there is something we can do about it.

In a mean time if any other problems come up please feel free to share them with us.

The car has been extremely reliable and I like it a lot but that occasional puff of blue smoke is what bothers me... its almost embarrassing to start your car when there are people around...