: Lap belt install 1969, confused

69DVC
11-03-08, 05:52 AM
Hi All

thought i'd throw this one out there..

My 69 coupe had no front seat belts, previous owner removed them for some reason... anyway I managed to get a nice set off ebay.

went to install em, started screwing in the bolt for the inner belt on the transmission tunnel (from under the car) it will only go in about 1/4 of an inch, then stops.

I removed part of the carpet around this area and cannot see anywhere for the bolt to come through.

I'm totally dumbfounded by this ?? is it possible the incorrect year floorpans were installed during a it's 90's restoration ?

Anyone got any ideas ??

thanks for reading.

jon

jayoldschool
11-03-08, 10:30 AM
Take the carpet out completely out (seats and door sills have to come out for this.. You will see the holes between the door sill and the seat for the outside belt, and the holes on the sides of the transmission hump for the inside belts. Screw the bolts in, put the carpet back in, and make a little X with a sharp knife for the bolts to come up through.

69DVC
11-04-08, 02:06 AM
thanks for your reply

i pulled of the carpet around one side of the transmission hump I cannot see the hole at all?? could there be some under carpet lining that sticks to the floor ? could something like this be covering up the hole??

stumped :hmm:

cadillac_al
11-04-08, 08:26 AM
When did they make seatbelts mandatory? I know in 66 they weren't required and '70 they were but I'm not sure what year it actually was. It sounds like your car didn't come with seat belts.

Red_October_7000
11-05-08, 11:30 PM
1968 was the year they became mandatory... Unless the car is a foreign-market car, or was made VERY early, it should have them. It is quite possible that the floorpan is from the wrong car since the cutoff year was so close.

cohare
11-12-08, 03:23 PM
My 68 has belts..