: Water in the valley

pimpdaddycaddy91
11-03-08, 12:18 AM
So I am pulling apart my Northstar and as I pulled the intake manifold off I found water in the valley. Scared me to death, whered this water come from???? Im looking all over the place and the only place I think water is around is the water jackets, but couldnt be cracked??? Then I remembered that just two weeks ago I drove the car to a car wash to wash the engine with a power washer.

I think this must be from the power washer. What do you think? It looks to me like water could easily get inbetween the PS resivoir and under the manifold if it were being sprayed in? like where the bat cable goes to the starter. Sombody want to ease my mind and tell me it was from washing the engine?

Submariner409
11-03-08, 08:44 AM
Exactly where the water came from. Newer engines have so much open valley and manifold design that people like me, who like a clean engine, have fits when it comes time to do the job.

Power washing an engine scares the heck out of me. That 2,500 psi water can blow right through seals and gaskets. Not to mention into electrical connectors.

You see the "high water mark" on the block from where it has been slowly cooking dry........?

Ranger
11-03-08, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with Sub. As long as it is clean water and not coolant colored or smelling, don't worry about it. I used to wash my engines down regularly, but I'm getting more and more apprehensive about it with COP ignition and such.

pimpdaddycaddy91
11-03-08, 03:46 PM
Thanks for easing my mind. I like my engines clean too, especially when I work on them. So I try to be carefull. I spray it down with a degreaser for a few minutes and let it do the work then I hold the wand back away to wash the degreaser off but.

When I was in high school I was a detailer for a chevy dealership and we pressure washed every single engine even brand new ones and we dried them with high pressure air. I look back now and think that we must have put a lot of pressure on the seals, gaskets, and electrical connectors like you said Sub.

bvanreg
04-26-09, 03:08 PM
I power washed my engine when I first got my sts and screwed up the modulle so I'll never wash under there again. But I have coolant in my valley and I'm trying to find out what it could be.

Ranger
04-26-09, 09:12 PM
Double posting only confuses people trying to help you.