: Calling on the Veterans...Vehicle Operation Concerns

FactoryFast
11-02-08, 08:40 PM
Thanks for stopping in guys, I know alot of these threads are redundant but i could use some knowledge here. After driving the car for about 1000 miles im ready to start voicing my concerns with the vehicle. Overall, the car is absolutely amazing. The power is amazing for stock and it rides like a dream compared to my raced out volkswagen. Im a pretty hard core enthusiast and to make things worse im an Operating Engineer, so i see, hear and feel everything thats different. Personally, I feel alot of my operation descriptions and concerns below are most likley normal. I would just like to confirm. Thanks in advance for your time.

First, i have done my best to search before I post but I would like to clarify some operating concerns. Comming from two german cars i do notice some quality issues with the V but nothing i cant live with...I am planning a dealership visit sometime in December. I also plan on having the car dealer serviced as Its still under warranty until June I believe. Any suggestions on how to deal with the sevice departments? Should I start out with a few hundred in an Xmas card for the service manager?

1. Steering. Upon research for purchasing the car i discovered my V had a Power steering reservoir replaced. The steering on this car is alot different than my volkswagen. I can hear the power steering pump when doing driveway maneuvering. Its pretty obnoxious, but I remember it on my older cadillacs...they were 1984 and 1978 models with lots of miles though.
Also, My car tends to track on parts of the highway were the heavy tractor trailers make dips in the road. Its worse than I have ever experienced as the car likes to steer itself and veer pretty violently. I have to keep both hands on the wheel going through that area. I think the reason it feels so much different is from the slightly wider tires and the length of the car when compared to my previous car. I also notice i have to put more muscle into steering the car at highway speed when compared to my old car. I think that may have to do with the extra 1000lbs im riding down the freeway with...also the length of the car.

2. Transmission. I should note that on the same service as the Power steering reservior replacement that the vehicle also had a differential seal replaced. The rear end seems to be posi when making sharp maneuvering turns in the driveway. I can actually feel the rear end binding up. Also, I can hear both the diff and the trans whining ever so slightly during normal cruising... The diff I can hear no matter if its accelration or deceleration...only accelration on the Trans. I also seem to have issue putting the car into reverse...in the morning it doesnt like to go so much...same thing with first but not as bad. If i let out of the clutch my second attempt is usually a success. How difficult is it proving to get a new diff under warranty? How are the transmissions holding up?

3. Navi buttons and plastic trim around the shifter are worn. Has anyone had these replaced under warranty ?

4. Does this car have rain sensors? My old car had a setting where the vehicls would adjust the speed of the wipers. It appears this car does not come with this feature.

5. I did not get an owners manual with the vehicle. Can anyone show me maintenance intervals on the V? Is there special maintenance?

6. This car is my DD. I need to purchase some good snow tires. Any suggestions? It doesnt look like 17 are gonna fit and tirerack sells no rims at all WTF...suggestions...websites???

Wow, am i really complaining about this stuff lol. ITs good to be back in a stock car again, not only that but to be riding in a car of this caliber....its a great feeling.

HartmanV
11-02-08, 08:47 PM
Factory, I have some stockers I am looking to let go of for $500, little curb rashed, not horrible... let me know if interested.

On the other issues... I am a V noob, coming from a truck, so expertise I am lacking... good luck though.

52many
11-02-08, 10:19 PM
Factory, I have some stockers I am looking to let go of for $500, little curb rashed, not horrible... let me know if interested.

On the other issues... I am a V noob, coming from a truck, so expertise I am lacking... good luck though.

HartmanV

I'm ready to purchase a set of stockers right away if Factory is not.
Can you advise status?
Thanks!

FactoryFast
11-02-08, 10:55 PM
Also, the nearest dealership to my home is Mahwah Cadillac Hummer. I work in Stamford CT though. Is there a V friendly dealership in that vicinity or soemone on the boards who can hook me up?

TIA

CTSV_510
11-02-08, 11:02 PM
1. Steering.

2. Transmission.

3. Navi buttons

4. Does this car have rain sensors?

5. I did not get an owners manual with the vehicle.

6. This car is my DD. I need to purchase some good snow tires. Any suggestions? It doesnt look like 17 are gonna fit and tirerack sells no rims at all WTF...suggestions...websites???

1. I have never heard my power steering pump in action. I have experienced the same tracking when there are sunken parts of the road, and I also believe it is due to the width of the tires. I don't feel like highway manuevering takes much effort either, I hope your power steering isn't failing again.

2. Everything you listed is common. Both the whining in the differential and the difficulty in shifting improved for me with a change to fresh Amsoil fluids. You just have to get used to getting into reverse. When I installed my B&M shifter it helped a lot, but I sometimes have to shift back into first before going into reverse. I do it now without even thinking about it. When you take it in to the dealer, leave the rear seats down so they can really hear the noises coming from back there.

3. Most dealers will replace your whole NAV unit when the buttons peel. If yours does that, make sure they program the nav for your CTS-V so you get all the functions you're supposed to have (the units come programmed for the standard CTS).

4. No rain sensors.

5. www.cadillafaq.com

6. 17's will not fit on the car, plus the wheels are 6-lug if you haven't noticed. There aren't many wheels other that the stock ones that will fit on the car and the ones that will are $$$. I picked up a set of stock rims with brand new Blizzak LM-22 snow tires for not too much. I definitely recommend the Blizzaks.

FactoryFast
11-04-08, 09:20 PM
thanks for taking the time to answer...

rand49er
11-04-08, 10:09 PM
... 1. Steering. Upon research for purchasing the car i discovered my V had a Power steering reservoir replaced. The steering on this car is alot different than my volkswagen. I can hear the power steering pump when doing driveway maneuvering. Its pretty obnoxious, but I remember it on my older cadillacs...they were 1984 and 1978 models with lots of miles though.
Also, My car tends to track on parts of the highway were the heavy tractor trailers make dips in the road. Its worse than I have ever experienced as the car likes to steer itself and veer pretty violently. I have to keep both hands on the wheel going through that area. I think the reason it feels so much different is from the slightly wider tires and the length of the car when compared to my previous car. I also notice i have to put more muscle into steering the car at highway speed when compared to my old car. I think that may have to do with the extra 1000lbs im riding down the freeway with...also the length of the car.

2. Transmission. I should note that on the same service as the Power steering reservior replacement that the vehicle also had a differential seal replaced. The rear end seems to be posi when making sharp maneuvering turns in the driveway. I can actually feel the rear end binding up. Also, I can hear both the diff and the trans whining ever so slightly during normal cruising... The diff I can hear no matter if its accelration or deceleration...only accelration on the Trans. I also seem to have issue putting the car into reverse...in the morning it doesnt like to go so much...same thing with first but not as bad. If i let out of the clutch my second attempt is usually a success. How difficult is it proving to get a new diff under warranty? How are the transmissions holding up?

3. Navi buttons and plastic trim around the shifter are worn. Has anyone had these replaced under warranty ?

4. Does this car have rain sensors? My old car had a setting where the vehicls would adjust the speed of the wipers. It appears this car does not come with this feature.

5. I did not get an owners manual with the vehicle. Can anyone show me maintenance intervals on the V? Is there special maintenance?

Wow, am i really complaining about this stuff lol. ITs good to be back in a stock car again, not only that but to be riding in a car of this caliber....its a great feeling.1. Your tires are worn ... get new ones.

2. Dealer will put new diff in. A few guys have had trouble getting into 1st and reverse due to a clearance problem. Dealer will take care of it.

3. Dealer will replace NAV unit.

4. Answered above.

5. No special maint schedule that I know of.

6. Get 18" Blizzaks.

heavymetals
11-04-08, 11:23 PM
Even with new tires if you get an uneven (rough road) it almost feels like it will jump out of your hands (mine does).

My tires are wider then stock, but the car did it stock and still does this.

The worse parts are the troughs that heavy rigs leave in asphalt.

WHOA!!!!!

Mr Vette doesn't do it as bad in the same patches of road.

FactoryFast
11-05-08, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear people are experiencing the same veering sensation on roads shared with the big rigs.

Im going to take the car in for the navi buttons, the power steering noise and the rear diff concerns. The advice to leave the radio off and put down the rear seats were worth posting up this thread. Ill even leave the AC off. Is there an "extra friendly" dealership in the NY, NJ, CT area that maybe someone on this board works at maybe? I work in Stamford CT and live in Orange County NY. Let me know...